Judging Beane’s decisions so far

simpleman

43 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think McD used a combination of Whaley's board and intel from Beane about the Panthers board to do the drafting..........but after seeing Brandon Beane's 180 degree different type of choices in FA I think the DNA of the high quality Hyde/Poyer additions was all Whaley.

Not too impressed so far by the work of McBeane's all-star cast of personnel evaluators that were purported to be huge upgrades over the guys that found Lorax and Zach Brown etc..

There is NO WAY Beane helped McDermott with the draft. It’s career suicide and it should be. He was employed by the Panthers and working on their draft.

IF it is true, nobody should have touched him with a 10 foot pole. Serious lack of integrity in that move to help another team with their draft, hoping you get a jibe a month or two later. Dudes like that in any profession go from “almost there” to “never was” over night. 

The emphasis on seniors rather than underclassmen, more squeaky clean track records and passing on a first round QB led sources close to the team to speculate that Whaley was pushed into the background by McD and Pegula. His dismissal shortly thereafter would indicate it was a done deal well before the draft. 

Just now, Rico said:

Once again, Whaley was not even part of the interview process to hire McD. McD specifically asked Pegs to exclude him and Pegs agreed. Whaley and the rest of his fired staff made zero decisions regarding anything football once McD was hired. That’s ZERO!

Have not seen this reported. Not to be snarky, but source? 

This is is a much further leap than anything I’ve seen is all. 

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

The emphasis on seniors rather than underclassmen, more squeaky clean track records and passing on a first round QB led sources close to the team to speculate that Whaley was pushed into the background by McD and Pegula. His dismissal shortly thereafter would indicate it was a done deal well before the draft. 

Yep. Fait accompli after that press conference.

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

Have not seen this reported. Not to be snarky, but source? 

This is is a much further leap than anything I’ve seen is all. 

Vic Carucci. Let me look for the thread, I started it, the link is there. :D

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

No they didn't.

They CHOSE to trade away good players for draft picks. 

ScottsTotts with the amazing take once again. 

Lets be reallt clear about what they did. They CHOSE to trade away a max 9-7 team for an opportunity to build a Super Bowl contender. The quicker you understand that the less foolish you will look on this anti-Beane crusade, going forward.

mind you: what they are doing may not work, but what Whaley was doing was guaranteed to not work. 

9 minutes ago, Rico said:

Not Bob the LBs coach... his son Bobby, the safeties coach.

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/coaches-roster/bobby-babich

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.democratandchronicle.com/amp/694070001

“McDermott gives full credit to Babich for getting Poyer on his radar...”

So he got a blind hit on Poyer(Bobby Babich hadn't been with Poyer in a couple years and Poyer looked like damaged goods during that 2 years)..........then McD ate a second round pick on the advice of another college level promotion in Phil McCracken.  

The perception is that McD leaves no stone unturned but the ear he gives to some less than worthy people is concerning.

10 minutes ago, Mango said:

There is NO WAY Beane helped McDermott with the draft. It’s career suicide and it should be. He was employed by the Panthers and working on their draft.

IF it is true, nobody should have touched him with a 10 foot pole. Serious lack of integrity in that move to help another team with their draft, hoping you get a jibe a month or two later. Dudes like that in any profession go from “almost there” to “never was” over night. 

The Panthers sure seemed convinced that McD was not only using their scouting info but was also aware of where the Panthers had players slotted on draft day.    The trade-up for Dion Dawkins in particular.

13 minutes ago, Rico said:

Once again, Whaley was not even part of the interview process to hire McD. McD specifically asked Pegs to exclude him and Pegs agreed. Whaley and the rest of his eventually fired staff made zero decisions regarding anything football once McD was hired. That’s ZERO.

OK, I stand corrected, it was the initial meeting. I still highly doubt that DW had anything to say about the hiring.

Doug Whaley:

Director of Pro Personel 2/2010 - 5/2013

General Manager 5/2013 - 4/2017

Bills records those years:

2010 - 4-12

2011 - 6-10

2012 - 6-10

2013 - 6-10

2014 - 9-7

2015 - 8-8

2016 - 7-9

And people want to crucify Beane for cleaning up that mess and building a team from the ground up. Please stop. It’s embarrassing. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So he got a blind hit on Poyer(Bobby Babich hadn't been with Poyer in a couple years and Poyer looked like damaged goods during that 2 years)..........then McD ate a second round pick on the advice of another college level promotion in Phil McCracken.  

The perception is that McD leaves no stone unturned but the ear he gives to some less than worthy people is concerning.

The Panthers sure seemed convinced that McD was not only using their scouting info but was also aware of where the Panthers had players slotted on draft day.    The trade-up for Dion Dawkins in particular.

Well, whatever one thinks of McD, I do think it's crystal clear that Whaley made no football decisions at all after he arrived, that's mostly what I'm saying.

58 minutes ago, Rico said:

Well, whatever one thinks of McD, I do think it's crystal clear that Whaley made no football decisions at all after he arrived, that's mostly what I'm saying.

Meh......by ALL accounts Whaley was in charge of the details of the trade with KC......which was probably the highest profile football decision of the entire offseason.

But it would have been fun to see those FA and pre-draft scouting meetings with Whaley and staff having no input and McD taking his draft and pro scouting info from guys that were assistant coaching at ****ty college programs the year before.?

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Drafting similar, with a HC, with intel he acquired from his previous year is DRASTICALLY different than saying Beane helped Buffalo and McD with the draft.

Seems like we are walking back a bit? 

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

Drafting similar, with a HC, with intel he acquired from his previous year is DRASTICALLY different than saying Beane helped Buffalo and McD with the draft.

Seems like we are walking back a bit? 

No I entirely believe Beane was as good as hired by mid-winter and that info changed hands late in the draft process.

Panthers believed it too.

Yes, that calls into question their integrity..........but football is a dirty business.

22 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Meh......by ALL accounts Whaley was in charge of the details of the trade with Houston......which was probably the highest profile football decision of the entire offseason.

But it would have been fun to see those FA and pre-draft scouting meetings with Whaley and staff having no input and McD taking his draft and pro scouting info from guys that were assistant coaching at ****ty college programs the year before.?

By all accounts, Whaley and his staff were fired immediately after the draft. Highly unlikely that he would’ve been trusted to make any decisions regarding the future of the team. He may have executed marching orders from McD, but nothing more than that.

Tre White, Dion Dawkins, Zay Jones, Matt Milano, Josh Allen, Tre Edmunds, Harrison Phillips and now that new punter. That's the list so far. The rest of the trades and signings are place holders and cap $ clearings until next year. A few may stick around for another contract like KB, Poyer and Hyde, but don't count on it. If you don't like those players, which I think is fair, then you probably don't like Beane and McD and you probably won't like what they do with the 65 million they cleared next year.

4 minutes ago, Rico said:

By all accounts, Whaley and his staff were fired immediately after the draft. Highly unlikely that he would’ve been trusted to make any decisions regarding the future of the team. He may have executed marching orders from McD, but nothing more than that.

I know you are on the wait-and-see on the Newhouse, Bodine, Lotulelei, Davis and Murphy FA class but what did you think of the $7M wasted on the dumping of McCarron and Coleman in the span of 24 hours.    Considering that the Jets basically ate nothing when they traded Teddy Bridgewater do you think maybe Beane mishandled those deals or just more brilliance?

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I know you are on the wait-and-see on the Newhouse, Bodine, Lotulelei, Davis and Murphy FA class but what did you think of the $7M wasted on the dumping of McCarron and Coleman in the span of 24 hours.    Considering that the Jets basically ate nothing when they traded Teddy Bridgewater do you think maybe Beane mishandled those deals or just more brilliance?

I guess it’s fair to wait and see - but either they just happened to round up a bunch of veterans who love treating August as an extended ice bath, or the Bills’ 2018 FA class is a group of corpses.  Davis’s and Murphy’s bodies might just be done, and Star has yet to demonstrate an ounce of effort.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't think it's brilliance at all, both moves don't look very good right now. I have always said though that the best GM's are able to acknowledge their mistakes, cut their losses, and move on quickly.  I find that to be very refreshing, especially when compared to the chump before him who kept EJ around for 4 years. :doh:  If he has too many mistakes, then yeah, he could be in trouble. At this point though, before the season starts? He's still golden.

10 minutes ago, Rico said:

I don't think it's brilliance at all, both moves don't look very good right now. I have always said though that the best GM's are able to acknowledge their mistakes, cut their losses, and move on quickly.  I find that to be very refreshing, especially when compared to the chump before him who kept EJ around for 4 years. :doh:  If he has too many mistakes, then yeah, he could be in trouble. At this point though, before the season starts? He's still golden.

Admitting mistakes can be good..........but picking up a known turd WR and guaranteeing him $3.5M and then cutting him before he could even be expected to thoroughly know the offense?    That's at best an utterly idiotic lack of due diligence.   

• Like (+1) 2