Cuts and Cap Savings

RPbillsfan

Anyone available really for the line isn’t going to be very expensive. Why do they need all that money? I’m not supportive of how the line played, but even then cutting those guys creates ever more depth issues. 

Best case scenario you can land a decent swing tackle with a little potential to fill in and maybe at best a backup guard who can push for a starting job in 5-6 weeks. Those guys don’t cost much. 

21 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Anyone available really for the line isn’t going to be very expensive. Why do they need all that money? I’m not supportive of how the line played, but even then cutting those guys creates ever more depth issues. 

Best case scenario you can land a decent swing tackle with a little potential to fill in and maybe at best a backup guard who can push for a starting job in 5-6 weeks. Those guys don’t cost much. 

Ducasse is hot garbage, Newhouse is a turnstile, and Miller keeps taking penalties and is ineffective in the passing game as whoever he lines up against generates immediate up the middle pressure.

Teller needs to be starting and have to believe any guard such as a Jahari Evans and Luke Joekel would be a step above Ducasse and Miller.  With Dawkins, Mills and Wesley, Groy and Bodine would make for a passable offensive line until we can seriously address that issue in the 2019 draft and free agency

9 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

Ducasse is hot garbage, Newhouse is a turnstile, and Miller keeps taking penalties and is ineffective in the passing game as whoever he lines up against generates immediate up the middle pressure.

Teller needs to be starting and have to believe any guard such as a Jahari Evans and Luke Joekel would be a step above Ducasse and Miller.  With Dawkins, Mills and Wesley, Groy and Bodine would make for a passable offensive line until we can seriously address that issue in the 2019 draft and free agency

Miller is horrible.  I've been keeping an eye on him on DVR replays.

He is too blubbery and simply lacks the athleticism to engage in a quick lateral movement right off the snap.  He is usually beaten in pass coverage right away with 1 move, and then he ends up turning toward his own QB and staring as the QB is hit or runs for his life.

He is just awful.  

Sometime a while ago, the NFL started prioritizing raw weight for these guys and not strength and the ability to still be good athletes who can move.  

Jim Ritcher would never fit into today's game from a size perspective, but he'd easily be the best OLman on the team!  And the most athletic.  Dude was compact, mobile, and strong as hell.

Here's Jim Ritcher; note how he is bending at the knees and hips, and not just the hips, like our sorry sack o **** linemen like to do now...

Dude totally understood how to generate power through his legs, thighs, and core...and he was a bit short (like 6'1" I think) so he could get under taller players with a low CG and drive them up, using their height advantage against them.

And he could pull and run.  Hell, where is he now!?  Get him on this coaching staff!  

ritcher-blog.jpg?w=550&h=351

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Fadingpain said:

Here's Jim Ritcher; note how he is bending at the knees and hips, and not just the hips, like our sorry sack o **** linemen like to do now...

Dude totally understood how to generate power through his legs, thighs, and core...and he was a bit short (like 6'1" I think) so he could get under taller players with a low CG and drive them up, using their height advantage against them.

And he could pull and run.  Hell, where is he now!?  Get him on this coaching staff!  

ritcher-blog.jpg?w=550&h=351

Love Jim Ritcher, but the guy was an Outland trophy winner so it’s not like he was some coached up schlep. There’s no talent of Ritchers caliber on this OL right now. 

2 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

If we cut Ducasse, Newhouse, Miller, Schmidt and Ryan we gain a net 5.6 million in cap space.

We can sign Lechler to punt for Veterans min and then see what we can find on the offensive line

I don't see too much OL help coming, but let's hope I'm wrong, eh? LB depth would be more likely or just maybe a receiver...maybe???