How many here work on their car?

RochesterRob

5 hours ago, AllenWillBust said:

Oh boy, a Honda groupie...

Imagine that. There are people out there who like their cars to be reliable and safe after spending tens of thousands of dollars on them.

2 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Just basic stuff like putting air in the tires and adding oil if need be.

I wash it semi regularly and wax it yearly.  Very rarely do I go to a car wash 

Air in the tires! That’s my level of proficiency. I was in Nashville last winter when we got that cold spell that sets off the low tire pressure sensor. I had my handy dandy pressure gauge from Target in my glove box, and proceeded to educate a line of millennials at the gas station who thought the world might be ending. That’s as close as I’ve ever been to feeling like a grease monkey. 

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Augie said:

Air in the tires! That’s my level of proficiency. I was in Nashville last winter when we got that cold spell that sets off the low tire pressure sensor. I had my handy dandy pressure gauge from Target in my glove box, and proceeded to educate a line of millennials at the gas station who thought the world might be ending. That’s as close as I’ve ever been to feeling like a grease monkey. 

Reminded me of one girl I used to work with someone asked her to pop the hood to which she had no idea what that meant.

I wouldn't make a good car mechanic but thought that was quite hysterical!

1 minute ago, Another Fan said:

Reminded me of one girl I used to work with someone asked her to pop the hood to which she had no idea what that meant.

I wouldn't make a good car mechanic but thought that was quite hysterical!

Crazy, but I may not have “popped a hood” in your lifetime! I used to check my oil way back when, but that was right after the Fred Flinstone mobile era. 

On 9/1/2018 at 3:49 PM, row_33 said:

You find that by telling mechanics that you change your oil you are now considered one of them?

Not at all and don't know why I should be considered a grease monkey.  I don't have to do oil changes to make a living.  I just enjoy being proficient in being able to take care of my vehicles and my home.  I've got four years of accounting, finance, and economics from college under my belt including two years at Cornell.  I work for myself and even though there have been lean times I prefer it to the corporate world.  The last time I worked for someone else which was for a multinational corporation I found it very frustrating.  I cleaned up a number of messes in another dept including doing tech support while I was there and all I ever got was being crapped upon for it.  I don't miss back stabbing co-workers among other things.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Not at all and don't know why I should be considered a grease monkey.  I don't have to do oil changes to make a living.  I just enjoy being proficient in being able to take care of my vehicles and my home.  I've got four years of accounting, finance, and economics from college under my belt including two years at Cornell.  I work for myself and even though there have been lean times I prefer it to the corporate world.  The last time I worked for someone else which was for a multinational corporation I found it very frustrating.  I cleaned up a number of messes in another dept including doing tech support while I was there and all I ever got was being crapped upon for it.  I don't miss back stabbing co-workers among other things.

Please take zero offense, but I don’t think anyone should take any of this personally. I used the term grease monkey earlier in jest, but it’s nothing serious. I actually loved doing SERIOUS yard renovations in my younger years, busting my arse,  while I had a pretty serious bank job. It’s a release, what gives you an out from daily life and brings you personal joy. It can offer enormous satisfaction, and most people realize that. 

I had friends with a landscaping business who called themselves dirt dogs, and I was kind of jealous. 

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

Please take zero offense, but I don’t think anyone should take any of this personally. I used the term grease monkey earlier in jest, but it’s nothing serious. I actually loved doing SERIOUS yard renovations in my younger years, busting my arse,  while I had a pretty serious bank job. It’s a release, what gives you an out from daily life and brings you personal joy. It can offer enormous satisfaction, and most people realize that. 

I had friends with a landscaping business who called themselves dirt dogs, and I was kind of jealous. 

Glad you see it that way (a break from being tedious or constraining).

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Thank Me later, I will just make You less proficient, almost Millennial-esque.  Continue reading...

Too bad you didn't have pure nitrogen in your tire... Not the 70% that's in ordinary air... The other 30% makes a big difference.

You could have drove right by that long line of Millennials and saved them the trauma.

****BTW... Nitrogen, kinda gimmicky, but it keeps your tire pressure real stable, which keeps that blasted TPMS light from going off in extreme cold (btw, finding a working outdoor air compressor is a PITA @ -10°F). TPMS will usually warn you when pressure drops about 25%.  That's only 9psi on a 36psi system. That ~30% more nitrogen makes a difference.  Yes, you can mix the two... Duh, air is still 70% nitrogen. Just lose the benny's of pure nitrogen if you do.

Try it, cheap... You'll be happy, especially if vehicle sits a lot.  Most places that you buy from give you free refill if you ever need to add. Under $20 for 4 tires. I go to local tire place around corner, pull up during business hours and they top off for free if ever needed, which isn't very often.

Also... Basically, all new Toyotas come with N in their tires... Off the line. Again, keeps the TPMS stable.  Less moisture in tire that will react to temperature fluctuations.  Normal air @ 70% N contains more moisture.  If you don't believe, bleed/drain a compressor to see how much moisture is in normal air.

****This PSA has NOT been brought to you by the nitrogen industry or your lazy Millennial do nothings.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

12 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

This thread made me google and read on how to jump start a battery if it dies.  I had to help somebody give a jump once but have been lucky in that I never needed it for myself.  

Reading this reminded me of wandering out in the tool shed and finding the set of jumper cables hanging on the wall.  "Didn't have a good place to put them in the car" says the university educated relative.  :doh:

• Like (+1) 1

Replaced a water pump in the Prius a few months ago.  One of the nice things about the Prius: all electric.  No belts to !@#$ around with.

Downside is...the same downside with most modern vehicles, I've found.  You can't reach anything.  I had to remove the front clip and a headlight assembly to even reach the water pump.  

Still better than !@#$ing around with belts.

5 hours ago, Another Fan said:

This thread made me google and read on how to jump start a battery if it dies.  I had to help somebody give a jump once but have been lucky in that I never needed it for myself.  

I once pulled into a parking spot and in a nearby spot was a young woman holding a pair of jumper cables, reading a manual, and looking very stressed. Then I saw a woman next to her who appeared to be her mom. I think her car died and mom came down to help, but neither one knew how to jump-start a car.

I gave a quick lesson and they were on their way.

33 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I once pulled into a parking spot and in a nearby spot was a young woman holding a pair of jumper cables, reading a manual, and looking very stressed. Then I saw a woman next to her who appeared to be her mom. I think her car died and mom came down to help, but neither one knew how to jump-start a car.

I gave a quick lesson and they were on their way.

Pics or it didn't happen.

J/K...

??

Last year at the University of Iowa... We were returning to our vehicle... It was late, lot empty.  A few spots over, there were two cars trying to do a jump.  Chinese students, not that it matters, but they had just ripped open the packaging from a set of jumper cables they bought @ AutoZone... Looked confused, reading the directions, trying to find where the battery was at on the one import.  The BMW was attempting to jump the VW.  Two Germans needing a hook up led by the Chinese.  I "had" to swoop in and "help" explain where the positive connection was on the Bimmer.  Battery is in the truck (boot) positive/negative connections under hood (bonnet).  Got them all hooked up and the VDub running... We went on our merry way. 

Future doctors no doubt going to school, so they can gouge their future patients, so as they can pay a high school grad to service their Euro imports... /smh Between all the mathematical brain power, took a gatekeeper to get them on their way.  Of course not after making the point that since the one battery wasn't exposed we were going to the proper negative grounding point (which is best)... But needs to be a clean connection. I showed them how to scratch the negative ground up to get it a little clean.  VDub, went both to battery (I know, bad, risk of explosion, yada yada yada... But I looked away upon hook up)... LoL... Like that would help me!

My wife said the gesticulation between all of us was priceless trying to break the language barrier... LoL...

Sure would have helped having this Guy (starting @ 1:27 of video) to get those German rides boosting!  LoL...

Doctors & mechanics, one works on cars, the other bodies... Both got you over a barrel!  Probably why they team up!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois