How many here work on their car?

RochesterRob

I'll do simple things like replacing a battery, changing the engine and passenger compartment air filters, etc. When I was in college and pretty much broke, I repaired a leaky gas tank, replaced my ignition wires, installed a car stereo, and did a few other things. I know how to change a tire, but I haven't had a flat in more than 30 years. I used to change my own oil, but it doesn't cost much more to let the shop do it, and they top off the fluids and do a mini-inspection at the same time, so it's worth it to let them do the job.

2 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

I had 2 SL2s. Both went over 200k. One got sold, one got totalled when the airbag went off <_<

The wife had two Saturns and they were both good cars.  The worst recent car was  a 2012 Ford Focus.  Agree with those about long engine life if well maintained.  Just don't over look the interval change on the timing belt if so equipped.  My sister might have had her Subaru go on forever if she did not miss the one service change (60K miles) on it.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I change my air filter.  That's it.

That's all Our overloads in the Automotive Industry want us to do.  Even that is a stretch.

Getting to the battery in an F56 Cooper is like delivering a baby!  Then it throws a code.  Same with brake change throwing a code!

/wallbash

1 minute ago, WhoTom said:

I'll do simple things like replacing a battery, changing the engine and passenger compartment air filters, etc. When I was in college and pretty much broke, I repaired a leaky gas tank, replaced my ignition wires, installed a car stereo, and did a few other things. I know how to change a tire, but I haven't had a flat in more than 30 years. I used to change my own oil, but it doesn't cost much more to let the shop do it, and they top off the fluids and do a mini-inspection at the same time, so it's worth it to let them do the job.

That ain't so simple anymore.  When I got Cooper S in 2014... I put a battery pigtail on all my vehicles... For a BatteryTender, charger...etc... Basically a SAE pigtail.

Getting to that bastage in the F56 is a MurthaPhu....!!! Buried under molding in a case, layer this, layer that!  But I got to it.  Like playing Tetris!  

It better be insulated in there from heat, humidity and vibration... They do put AGM battery in... But it's going on 5 years and dread getting in again.

Now BMW (same company as MINI) is right in trunk... EZ-PZ!

BMW does NOT want young Millennials who buy MINI figuring it out... But don't want to alienate older Boomer Bimmer motoheads... Race crowd.

That is My take between My Son's Cooper S and Wife's BMW!

23 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

That ain't so simple anymore.  When I got Cooper S in 2014... I put a battery pigtail on all my vehicles... For a BatteryTender, charger...etc... Basically a SAE pigtail.

Getting to that bastage in the F56 is a MurthaPhu....!!! Buried under molding in a case, layer this, layer that!  But I got to it.  Like playing Tetris!  

It better be insulated in there from heat, humidity and vibration... They do put AGM battery in... But it's going on 5 years and dread getting in again.

BMW does NOT want young Millennials who buy MINI figuring it out... But don't want to alienate older Boomer Bimmer motoheads... Race crowd.

I guess it depends on the make & model. The last battery I changed was on my 2009 Corolla, and it was a piece of cake. Last week I did the two air filters - ten minutes total, and no tools required.

1 minute ago, unbillievable said:

I've changed the blinker fluid a few times.

IIRC, a friend's wife pulled up to the pump, saw the 'regular/mid/premium' hose was bagged over, so she did manage to get $5 worth of diesel in her gasoline powered Honda.  My friend asked her how she fit the hose, her answer was there WAS a lot of splash back, the hose really didn't fit correctly.

• Haha (+1) 2

I do the majority of the work on my equipment. That includes 7 tractors, 2 diesel trucks, 3 small cars, and 2 forklifts. Everything from little stuff like brakes and water pumps to dropping a new 2.7l propane engine into a dang near brand new Toyota hi-lift which I apparently overpaid for...timing chain shot, compression off in two of the cylinders. 

And just reading a bit upstream: please don't go 15,000 miles without changing your oil. I cannot stress how bad an idea that is. Hydraulic fluid, ok sure maybe you can go past manufacturer's recommended, but don't mess around with your oil. I check the oil on my vehicles weekly, the tractors monthly, change the diesel engine oil out every 3000 miles on the trucks and 500 hrs on the tractors, change the oil on the gasoline cars every 4000. Also a good idea to check levels in coolant when you check oil. Don't mess around with your fluids.

3 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

I probably saved 3500 dollars turning wrenches myself on my boat simply out of lack of money to pay people.   It's nice to learn a lot but I'll be happier next time when I buy a 4 stroke newer boat and motor they are much more reliable.  

I hear that! I just picked up my boat 30 minutes ago and I am 1000.00 dollars poorer. (BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand.) Tune up, valve job, plugs, water pump, fuel lines and filters, aerator pumps, bilge pump, ignition switch, and a few other small things. I could have done that all, but I sure wouldn't be fishing this weekend!

Edited by BUFFALOKIE
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

I do the majority of the work on my equipment. That includes 7 tractors, 2 diesel trucks, 3 small cars, and 2 forklifts. Everything from little stuff like brakes and water pumps to dropping a new 2.7l propane engine into a dang near brand new Toyota hi-lift which I apparently overpaid for...timing chain shot, compression off in two of the cylinders. 

And just reading a bit upstream: please don't go 15,000 miles without changing your oil. I cannot stress how bad an idea that is. Hydraulic fluid, ok sure maybe you can go past manufacturer's recommended, but don't mess around with your oil. I check the oil on my vehicles weekly, the tractors monthly, change the diesel engine oil out every 3000 miles on the trucks and 500 hrs on the tractors, change the oil on the gasoline cars every 4000. Also a good idea to check levels in coolant when you check oil. Don't mess around with your fluids.

You using synthetic motor oil?  And who is making your engines?

Good modern engines can easily go 15,000 miles.  In fact, most premium manufacturers now recommend intervals at least that long.

Now, if someone here is driving around in a 1978 Chevrolet, yeah, keep an eye on the motor oil.

I used to.  My parent’s 1964 Valiant and 1969 Ford wagon. My friend’s 1963 Impala. My 1973 Celica, and my 1980 Mazda. 

Now I just bring them in for scheduled maintenance. I’ve had mostly Toyota’s, and I’ve had good luck. I usually keep them for eight to ten years. I’m sure I could make them last longer, but I like getting a new car every so often. 

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

In general, I found my bimmer to be maintenance friendly. Very thoughtfully designed. The flip side is that it required a lot of maintenance and parts are ridiculously expensive. But yeah, changing the battery, oil, filter,etc was easy peasy. Even brakes, struts, etc were relatively easy. Electrical systems...not so easy.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

You using synthetic motor oil?  And who is making your engines?

Good modern engines can easily go 15,000 miles.  In fact, most premium manufacturers now recommend intervals at least that long.

Now, if someone here is driving around in a 1978 Chevrolet, yeah, keep an eye on the motor oil.

Couple Isekis, a VTEC, bunch of JD PowerTechs, and 2 7.3 Powerstrokes. I run synthetic oil in all of them, but that said synthetic properties (as I understand them anyway) are mostly improved viscosity and shearing which technically do add to the interval, but overall only perform at a little less than 50% of conventional oil. I pull trailers and a bunch of weight w/ the trucks every week so I have extra incentive to keep clean oil, but even just normal driving I wouldn't try to double your recommended interval. 15,000 miles is crazy to me.

5 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

When the hell do you have time to do that hippie gardening you do, Bob Vila???

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

I won't do any major mechanical repairs anymore like brakes I will let the pros do that, but little service stuff i'm more than capable of saving that money.   

If there's one thing easy enough to do that'll save you hundreds of dollars, it's brake pads. You should look into that.