How many here work on their car?

RochesterRob

Today I changed the engine oil in the pickup along with the filter.  Just as cheap to go to the lube shop but there is something satisfying about doing it yourself.  Further, other than relying on the woman to do the filter lookup (no guide in the filter aisle) I did not have to rely on any one.  I'm not so big on the home improvement stuff but am changing out the kitchen faucet, replacing the entrance way gutter, and resurrecting the television antennae  complete with new pole.  Doing the antennae in part to knock a little off the satellite bill and get more local selection.  Got a feeling if the Bills are really bad this year I may need to pull in Buffalo television to see some games.  

The oil change place I used to go to used a smaller filter which was cheaper.  Over the life of the truck that is a significant difference in oil pressure.   

I always change my own, i use synthetic mobil 1 normall, but Castrol synthetic was on sale last time.   Synthetic oil change was over $100.00 doing it myself is just the cost of materials usually half that.   

I won't do any major mechanical repairs anymore like brakes I will let the pros do that, but little service stuff i'm more than capable of saving that money.   

Absolutely, but I'm a gear head.

Aside from the cheap cost of doing it yourself, you know exactly what is going in your vehicle (for a fluid change), you know exactly what is coming out (the speedy places don't wait long enough to drain every last drop of dirty oil out sometimes), and you know the work is being done properly. 

Like you will never strip a drain bolt or leave a filter a little loose, or any other dumb crap.

No one cares more about your vehicle than you do.

And this is America.  Your "mechanic" is often more what I'd call a grease monkey.

One caveat: with modern engines and modern synthetic motor oil, the old adage that you should change your motor oil every 3 months or 3,000 miles is total bull ****.  I have no doubt that was created by an oil company's marketing department.

Or it may have begun life in like the 1940s or something, when engines actually used oil and you really did need to keep on top of oil levels.  

15,000 miles is fine for a synthetic oil change in a modern car.

Having said all of the above, you can never have oil that is too clean and it never hurts to change it, if the change is done properly.

Another area where you can save $ and have peace of mind knowing things are done properly is changing your own brake pads.

I preach buying genuine OEM parts from the parts dealer, as often aftermarket cheap products don't fit in the calipers correctly, even though they are supposed to and claim they do.

• Like (+1) 1

I have a beater '88 F150 that I try to do all the work on. Replaced the alternator and wiper motor. Theres room to work on that thing and you dont have to take off 10 shrouds and covers for a simple fix. I take my Tacoma to the shop for just about everything. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I have a beater '88 F150 that I try to do all the work on. Replaced the alternator and wiper motor. Theres room to work on that thing and you dont have to take off 10 shrouds and covers for a simple fix. I take my Tacoma to the shop for just about everything. 

Did you see the newer Tacomas with the oil filter right on top of the engine near the radiator?   I thought that was a cool and easy place to mount it. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Did you see the newer Tacomas with the oil filter right on top of the engine near the radiator?   I thought that was a cool and easy place to mount it. 

I didn't, but I've been looking at the Tacoma TRD Pro's. I think they're pretty sharp. I'd like a full size truck,  but it won't fit in the garage. I got about 1 foot to spare with my Tacoma with the 6' bed.

3 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I didn't, but I've been looking at the Tacoma TRD Pro's. I think they're pretty sharp. I'd like a full size truck,  but it won't fit in the garage. I got about 1 foot to spare with my Tacoma with the 6' bed.

I've got a 2012 ram 1500 with the hemi and i really like it, i've had mid sized trucks l had a frontier 4 door for a while but I like fullsize too.  Just more elbow room.    

Tacomas are crazy though, you can buy one, drive it for 3 years, and pretty much sell it for what you paid for it the mileage doesn't seem to matter.    After 4 years the Tacomas are worth more than the tundras on the used market. 

13 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I've got a 2012 ram 1500 with the hemi and i really like it, i've had mid sized trucks l had a frontier 4 door for a while but I like fullsize too.  Just more elbow room.    

Tacomas are crazy though, you can buy one, drive it for 3 years, and pretty much sell it for what you paid for it the mileage doesn't seem to matter.    After 4 years the Tacomas are worth more than the tundras on the used market. 

I got a '17 Taco TRD... Hope it holds.

Why I am not parting w/My 2006 Jeep TJ (Golden Eagle/Sport)... Last of the Dinosaurs!  I paid $22 brand new with 10 miles on it... Still worth over 10k or MORE!  That will be a family "heirloom"... LoL...

Why I went Taco... But they (+2015s) are getting bigger.  Why the older ones sell is because they are small... No small beefy truck really out there on market!

Stick w/the dinosaurs!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

25 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

2000 Saturn LW1 we had used a joint venture Toy Yoda / GM engine that had a paper cartridge filter right on top.  Heaven changing the oil in that pony.  I also was a firm believer on the engine having recently been run hot, as an assist in fully draining the oil pan.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Agreed.  Daughter had a '96 SC1, went years until the undercarriage rusted out.

Most engines will go for 1/4 million miles... Or more.  Just stuff like plastic timing belts instead of chains, gotta stay on top of regular maintenance.  Bigger crap like that is a labor $$$ put off and where people go wrong!

Just now, Soda Popinski said:

Do you guys use Salt Terminator on your undercarriages during the winter?  we used it to flush outboards and wash off boat trailers after going in the ocean but seems like it would be a good idea for cars up north too.  

Ha!  Nothing would have prevented my 2006 Pacifica from engine cradle rot.  Bastards @ Chrysler wouldn't extend the warranty to the 2006s, clearly mine was made with same part in 2005.

They extended warranty on the 2004-2005s to past 150k.

I welded the pig and dumped it in 2015.