Public opinion on Iraq

No. I know that you are a rightie who is not enamored with the current crop of Republicans. Pretty similar to myself, although I would never vote for John Kerry.  :D

282474[/snapback]

I've always pictured myself as being somewhere in the middle. I find myself to the left of many people here, but despite being branded a liberal (I'm not sure how that's really an insult other than it's used as one), I don't think big gov't is a good thing, but a gov't that's too small is unable to provide us with the services we demand. Since those services aren't free, we need to be taxed, and I'm cool with that. In fact, I'd gladly pay more taxes if I had any faith at all that the assclowns in the beltway would spend it judiciously and just stay out of our lives - both of which I no longer believe they're capable of doing...

And thank you for the kind words. However, your characterization of me as not being "enamored" with the uber-conservatives currently running things is being awfuly generous. I think we've veered so far to the right that we're in danger of losing some of the rights and liberties that the left are usually accused of wanting to snatch up. Truth be told, I find these to be pretty disturbing times.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always pictured myself as being somewhere in the middle.  I find myself to the left of many people here, but despite being branded a liberal (I'm not sure how that's really an insult other than it's used as one), I don't think big gov't is a good thing, but a gov't that's too small is unable to provide us with the services we demand.  Since those services aren't free, we need to be taxed, and I'm cool with that.  In fact, I'd gladly pay more taxes if I had any faith at all that the assclowns in the beltway would spend it judiciously and just stay out of our lives - both of which I no longer believe they're capable of doing...

And thank you for the kind words.  However, your characterization of me as not being "enamored" with the uber-conservatives currently running things is being awfuly generous.  I think we've veered so far to the right that we're in danger of losing some of the rights and liberties that the left are usually accused of wanting to snatch up.  Truth be told, I find these to be pretty disturbing times.

282490[/snapback]

Well, you seem to have moved a little more to the left since I last discussed this with you (prior to the last election).

I do not agree with your statement, "a gov't that's too small is unable to provide us with the services we demand." While factually correct, I think that there will be a problem with decreasing the size of the government from its current levels (as aspoused in the statement prior to the quote), while still providing services that we demand. Hell, we are not even close to providing the services we demand now and it would require an increase in the federal government in order to do those. Just think of what we need to provide medicare, medicade, SS, healthcare, education, defense, counterterrorism, feeding the poor, curing diseases, etc. The government will be an even greater behemoth than it is now.

Well, you seem to have moved a little more to the left since I last discussed this with you (prior to the last election).

Perhaps I have. Or maybe it's just because I'll always be a PK (preacher's kid), but I really resent others making moral judgments on my behalf, and it seems that there's an awful lot of that going around these days.

Hell, we are not even close to providing the services we demand now and it would require an increase in the federal government in order to do those. Just think of what we need to provide medicare, medicade, SS, healthcare, education, defense, counterterrorism, feeding the poor, curing diseases, etc. The government will be an even greater behemoth than it is now.

282501[/snapback]

Well now that's encouraging! :D

Well now that's encouraging! :D

282518[/snapback]

Keep in mind that I am against increasing the size of the federal government. I want to cut a lot of these programs from the federal budget. This is where we seem to differ. Where we are the same is legislating morality. The federal government has no right to get involved in my personal beliefs.

Keep in mind that I am against increasing the size of the federal government. I want to cut a lot of these programs from the federal budget. This is where we seem to differ.
I agree that the fed gov't is too big, but you and I would probably disagree on where the cuts should come from. Cuts for the sake of cuts would be more harmful than beneficial (not that you advocate that), eg, I'm all for a welfare-type program, but it should be fiscally sound and provide a ROI of sorts if not to the government proper, at least to the economy, as opposed to continously throwing good money after bad. Setting arbitrary education standards while underfunding the project seems like another waste of money to me. That's the kind of stuff that tends to get me fired up.

Where we are the same is legislating morality. The federal government has no right to get involved in my personal beliefs.

282523[/snapback]

Truly.

Ain't that the truth about the whole place!

It does make for some fun times though... :lol:

281585[/snapback]

Looks like that hit a little close to home. :D

So, why don't you provide something to support the other side of the argument? Is that because you can't?

It is amazing how the lefties on the board cry foul, but yet are incapable of supporting their side of the debate. All I hear is soundbite driven drivel. If you want better debate, bring it on. If you cannot provide better debate, then whose fault is that?

281673[/snapback]

Don't get all bent out of shape. What I said is the truth. Everyone here has been guilty of the same from time to time.

I agree that the fed gov't is too big, but you and I would probably disagree on where the cuts should come from.  Cuts for the sake of cuts would be more harmful than beneficial (not that you advocate that), eg, I'm all for a welfare-type program, but it should be fiscally sound and provide a ROI of sorts if not to the government proper, at least to the economy, as opposed to continously throwing good money after bad.  Setting arbitrary education standards while underfunding the project seems like another waste of money to me.  That's the kind of stuff that tends to get me fired up.

Truly.

282535[/snapback]

That is exactly what these snapperheads don't understand with all their bravado

Campy, you are the man!

I hope my association doesn't "pull" you too far to the left? :lol::D

That is exactly what these snapperheads don't understand with all their bravado

Campy, you are the man!

I hope my association doesn't "pull" you too far to the left? :D:)

282661[/snapback]

Actually, what the "snapperheads" don't understand is usually the body of anything you post. :lol: