Public opinion on Iraq

Yup, it's that time already: the second year anniversary of our mid-East excursion dubbed Operation: eat hot lead suckers.

Who can forget all the incredible images that have become ingrained in our conciousness: All the network TV cameras beautifully capturing the poetry of the initial bombing raid on Baghdad March 19th, 2003. Donald Rumsfeld confidently beaming that he had assembled, in his words "The Mother of all coalitions". Our President standing resolutely behind a "Mission Accomplished" banner as well as Mister Bush hopping on that midnight plane to Baghdad for Thanksgiving with a plastic turkey in tow.

We all seemed so much happier then.

What happened?

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/ne...t_id=1000844124

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you know whether I agree or not? What was my stance on Iraq before the first shot was fired? Go read the pinned thread above started by RCow. Polls are pretty much crap.

The reality is, no one knows if the war in Iraq is worthwhile and likely won't for about 20 years. This is nothing more than yellow journalism to cover the inadequacy of same.

He really needs to learn that the only valid polls are the ones that support your POV. All others are bogus.

279696[/snapback]

I apologize for ever posting a poll on a site called politics, POLLS, and pundits.

I don't know what I was thinking. I'll refrain from ever doing so again.

I apologize for ever posting a poll on a site called politics, POLLS, and pundits.

279713[/snapback]

If the poll measures the opinions of people in the same way that most of people over 55 do not agree with the proposed SS reform (even when they will not be affected by the reform) then you can see why there's a jaded view of polls.

279713[/snapback]

I try to defend you and this is how I am treated. Just trying to point out the fact that people will only believe polls that support their preconceived ideas of reality. Of course, these same people immediately discount any other poll that does not support their POV, claiming they are "lies, distortions, not scientific, etc."

If the poll measures the opinions of people in the same way that most of people over 55 do not agree with the proposed SS reform (even when they will not be affected by the reform) then you can see why there's a jaded view of polls.

279729[/snapback]

Possibly. I was jaded as well when the march to this thing first started over two years ago and Americans fell for it hook,line and sinker, duped by a government and complicit media.

That hardly made me doubt the validity of the poll however, just because I didn't agree with the majority at that time.

as well as Mister Bush hopping on that midnight plane to Baghdad for Thanksgiving with a plastic turkey in tow.

279637[/snapback]

Actually, that's an urban legend and even the L.A. Times eventually issued a correction. But, uh, whatever....

As for polls, they provide useful information in the form of a statistically inadequate sample size of people who will agree to waste 30 minutes on the phone and are home during the day. RCow illustrated this wonderfully when he committed PPP suicide a few months ago.

Promise! Just as long as we can change the board's name to Politics, Conservatives are persecuted People too while progressives are evil, and pundits

279732[/snapback]

...or more like Politics, whiney liberals (oh, wait...they are ashamed to be called liberals...they want to be called "progressives") who are incapable of adequately supporting their arguments, and the people who point out that they are inadequately supporting their arguments. I guess it all depends on your POV.

Actually, that's an urban legend and even the L.A. Times eventually issued a correction.  But, uh, whatever....

As for polls, they provide useful information in the form of a statistically inadequate sample size of people who will agree to waste 30 minutes on the phone and are home during the day.  RCow illustrated this wonderfully when he committed PPP suicide a few months ago.

279745[/snapback]

What's an "RCow"?