Outside TV

Dante

Going to put up a pergola outside and I'm planning on hanging a flat panel out there. 

First, has anyone done it? Any pointers? 

Second I know you can buy a waterproof outside tv. 55" versions can be had for about $1600 from Amazon. You can get a regular 55" from Best Buy for $600. For that price it may be better just to get one of them and put a cover on it. If it burns out in a few years it's cheap enough to replace. Not sure though.

We just had a roof put in over our back patio. Going to do the same. I’ve got an older Samsung 55” that I replaced in my living room a while ago. Was going to use it outside as well. It’s the moisture that kills the TVs out there. The dew at nighttime, and on wet/rainy days coupled by cold nights or hot days that will kill you. I’m with you, I’m not spending almost 2k on an outdoor tv when I bought this one used, 8 years ago for $500. If it breaks, you can just replace it with another $500 set in 3 years. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

oh and throw some rice / desiccant in the cover to soak up the moisture.  

grays-dry-packs-dehumidifiers-dp40can-64

$5.00 give or take a few pennies

Just be careful not to attract any hamsters or gerbils.  They can develop odd personality traits if they start nibbling on silica packs.

• Haha (+1) 1

My biggest thing is fixing it to the vinyl siding on the house. I have mounts that will work, I just don’t know how I’m going to attach it. Should I take the siding off and create some kind of plate behind the tv. Go right over the siding. I don’t know 

1 minute ago, mrags said:

My biggest thing is fixing it to the vinyl siding on the house. I have mounts that will work, I just don’t know how I’m going to attach it. Should I take the siding off and create some kind of plate behind the tv. Go right over the siding. I don’t know 

Don't mount it to the vinyl, the TV will eventually fall and take siding with it.

What's under the siding?

If it's vinyl siding over wood, just run a stud finder like you would over drywall.  Either mount it to the studs or if it's light enough use toggle bolts. 

If you don't know what's under, then I would recommend removing a small section in an out of the way area to see what you're working with

9 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Don't mount it to the vinyl, the TV will eventually fall and take siding with it.

What's under the siding?

If it's vinyl siding over wood, just run a stud finder like you would over drywall.  Either mount it to the studs or if it's light enough use toggle bolts. 

If you don't know what's under, then I would recommend removing a small section in an out of the way area to see what you're working with

Well, I plan to bolt/screw the mount into the studs. I have a stud finder, or can remove some siding to find out where to screw in the mount. My question and issue is if I should screw the mount right over the siding, or if I should remove a section of siding and create some kind of panel behind the tv. 

14 minutes ago, mrags said:

Well, I plan to bolt/screw the mount into the studs. I have a stud finder, or can remove some siding to find out where to screw in the mount. My question and issue is if I should screw the mount right over the siding, or if I should remove a section of siding and create some kind of panel behind the tv. 

Mounts usually come with spacers so you could go wall>siding>spacer>mount to avoid crushing the siding. 

If you have access to rafters, how about a ceiling mount?

https://www.peerless-av.com/en-us/search?category=Display Mounts and TV Mounts&type=0

19 minutes ago, mrags said:

Good, you definitely need to attach the TV to some load bearing structure inside the wall.

The idea of having a TV outside scares the hell out of me, but I live in south FL where it monsoons every day this time of year.

5 hours ago, mrags said:

We just had a roof put in over our back patio. Going to do the same. I’ve got an older Samsung 55” that I replaced in my living room a while ago. Was going to use it outside as well. It’s the moisture that kills the TVs out there. The dew at nighttime, and on wet/rainy days coupled by cold nights or hot days that will kill you. I’m with you, I’m not spending almost 2k on an outdoor tv when I bought this one used, 8 years ago for $500. If it breaks, you can just replace it with another $500 set in 3 years. 

This is what I did. I have a roof over the patio. My brother gave me his TV when he upgraded - it’s just fine but heavier than the newer ones. I didn’t hang it, but have it set up out there and we just put a grill cover over it when it rains. If it breaks then oh well, it was free. I’ll just replace it with another used one from Craigslist. But it’s now been 4 years and going strong. We bring it inside November-April.  We use it a ton.

Edited by YoloinOhio

28 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Mounts usually come with spacers so you could go wall>siding>spacer>mount to avoid crushing the siding. 

If you have access to rafters, how about a ceiling mount?

https://www.peerless-av.com/en-us/search?category=Display Mounts and TV Mounts&type=0

I just had the roof completed. I really don’t want to hang it from the ceiling and cut into the fresh soffit that was put in. Besides, it’s a 55” tv that’s pretty heavy. I’d rather not 

19 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Good, you definitely need to attach the TV to some load bearing structure inside the wall.

The idea of having a TV outside scares the hell out of me, but I live in south FL where it monsoons every day this time of year.

Not worried. If the tv gets destroyed, it gets destroyed. It’ll be a good tv to use as a guinea pig. I spent 500 on it like 8-10 years ago. 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is what I did. I have a roof over the patio. My brother gave me his TV when he upgraded - it’s just fine but heavier than the newer ones. I didn’t hang it, but have it set up out there and we just put a grill cover over it when it rains. If it breaks then oh well, it was free. I’ll just replace it with another used one from Craigslist. But it’s now been 4 years and going strong. We bring it inside November-April.  We use it a ton.

Yeah. Now that we have the hot tub outside I’m sure I’ll get a Tom of use out of it. Especially during football season. 

My wite was already commenting today about how we could be watching the game in the hot tub. I’ll jist have to pull the tv outside and put it on the table for now 

I have a covered outdoor porch and live in Richmond VA..built it in 2005. I have had 3 TVs out there, each one progressively bigger to now I have a 55inch Samsung...been out there about 5 years. Think i paid $500 or do for it. I have never had any issues with any of the TVs. Now, it is a corner and never gets rain/snow...but damn its humid as all get out in RVA and never an issue. When it gets below say 35, just need to give it 5 minutes to warm up(LED)

My advice is go cheap..replace if necessary, 

9 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I have a covered outdoor porch and live in Richmond VA..built it in 2005. I have had 3 TVs out there, each one progressively bigger to now I have a 55inch Samsung...been out there about 5 years. Think i paid $500 or do for it. I have never had any issues with any of the TVs. Now, it is a corner and never gets rain/snow...but damn its humid as all get out in RVA and never an issue. When it gets below say 35, just need to give it 5 minutes to warm up(LED)

My advice is go cheap..replace if necessary, 

Yeah. That’s pretty much my plan. Mine will get zero water or snow on it. Absolutely not. Not possible. But the moisture from hot to cold and back to hot again may cause problems. But I’m in the same boat. A $500 tv years ago. It’s not only gotten it’s ise, if it breaks I won’t care as its at least a 10 year old tv and I could use an upgrade.  It for now, I’m good with it being an outdoor tv. 

9 minutes ago, mrags said:

Yeah. That’s pretty much my plan. Mine will get zero water or snow on it. Absolutely not. Not possible. But the moisture from hot to cold and back to hot again may cause problems. But I’m in the same boat. A $500 tv years ago. It’s not only gotten it’s ise, if it breaks I won’t care as its at least a 10 year old tv and I could use an upgrade.  It for now, I’m good with it being an outdoor tv. 

you got it... I thought the humidity would kill the TVs too..been 12 years no issues!  Not only that, have had no issue with the DTV DVR been out there at least 10 years

Edited by plenzmd1

5 hours ago, mrags said:

I was hoping to attach it to the pergola some way.

6 hours ago, mrags said:

Bring your stud finder to the TEN game.  If it works, it will beep when you stand near me.

32 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Bring your stud finder to the TEN game.  If it works, it will beep when you stand near me.

I’ll never be able to tel of the batteries are still working or not. It won’t beep for nothing while I’m near you. 

14 hours ago, mrags said:

1) Stand near the back porch/house wall

2) Hold the tv up in front of your face

3) Turn the tv toward your friends who are watching football on the tv

4) Bring the tv down and rest it at halftime. 

5) Follow steps 1-4 for second half. 

6) Carry tv inside after game to avoid moisture and save your siding. 

• Haha (+1) 1