Breaking News

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's allowed now.

289591[/snapback]

Cremation is allowed in the Catholic faith? Is this something recent? I am no expert on the Catholic faith (VA can probably elaborate better than I), but I thought it was forbidden.

Cremation is allowed in the Catholic faith? Is this something recent? I am no expert on the Catholic faith (VA can probably elaborate better than I), but I thought it was forbidden.

289598[/snapback]

There is nothing in the Catholic dogma that prevents cremation. The only restriction is that the body be at the funeral. After that rather then being buried, the person can be cremated.

There is nothing in the Catholic dogma that prevents cremation.  The only restriction is that the body be at the funeral.  After that rather then being buried, the person can be cremated.

289628[/snapback]

Thats right Bill. Thats what we did with my father. My father was very concerned with this, and it troubled him for quite some time prior to his death. So we had Father Madden our local Priest come to his house and discuss it with him. The father said that just only in recent years( this was 6 years ago) has the catholic church eased there restrictions on cremation.

Thats right Bill. Thats what we did with my father.  My father was very concerned with this, and it troubled him for quite some time prior to his death. So we had Father Madden our local Priest come to his house and discuss it with him. The father said that just only in recent years( this was 6 years ago) has the catholic church eased there  restrictions on cremation.

289649[/snapback]

Actually they really have always permitted it, but it was very much frowned upon. Again going back to the black plague, the burning of bodies started then and it really was permitted after that. The Catholic Church contrary to what a lot of people have adopted customs and cultures quite well into their charter. hence the reason why things that occur in the US while frowned upon by Rome does not always get one excommunicated.

Take female alter servers, most diocese permit it with only Arlington, VA and one near Chicago not permitting it. As far as Rome goes that do not like the practice of females on the alter but permit the US culture to have their variences.

Thats right Bill. Thats what we did with my father.  My father was very concerned with this, and it troubled him for quite some time prior to his death. So we had Father Madden our local Priest come to his house and discuss it with him. The father said that just only in recent years( this was 6 years ago) has the catholic church eased there  restrictions on cremation.

289649[/snapback]

Before 1963, cremation was not allowed. Before 1997, the service was supposed to be done with the body present before cremation.

http://www.americancatholic.org/Messenger/...7/Editorial.asp

He wants her cremated because the parents are devout Catholics.  Not sure but, wasn't cremation a mortal sin at one time?  A total no-no?

289507[/snapback]

If they are devout Catholics, why did they encourage Michael to date other women?

From the 3rd GAL's report:

It took Michael a long time to consider the prospect of getting on with his life – something he was actively encouraged to do by the Schindlers, long before enmity tore them apart. He was even encouraged by the Schindlers to date, and introduced his in-law family to women he was dating. But this was just prior to the malpractice case ending.

and I just stumbled across this great blog from a Florida attorney. I'd say this is a must-read for anyone repeating the rhetoric and accusations from both sides of the case:

http://abstractappeal.com/schiavo/infopage.html

The husband wants the body destroyed ASAP so that there is no autopsy. In my worthless opinion, if signs of abuse are found during an autopsy, charges should be filed immediately.

288914[/snapback]

If it was abuse that led to her being in the PVS, how is it that Terri and Michael managed to win the malpractice suit? If there were any evidence of abuse, the Doctors could have (and certainly would have) easily brought that out in their defense...

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/03/28/Tampabay..._has_myri.shtml

Not that I would know anything about this case................

289395[/snapback]

It's a shame really. That money could be better spent on brain research to perhaps help people recover from brain injuries. Instead it's spent tilting at windmills...

If it was abuse that led to her being in the PVS, how is it that Terri and Michael managed to win the malpractice suit?  If there were any evidence of abuse, the Doctors could have (and certainly would have) easily brought that out in their defense...

289792[/snapback]

I thought it went like this:

-Bulemia.

-Mainlining Insulin.

-Heart Attack.

-Brain Damage.

-PVS.

I don't know where the abuse stuff came from.

I thought it went like this:

-Bulemia.

-Mainlining Insulin.

-Heart Attack.

-Brain Damage.

-PVS.

I don't know where the abuse stuff came from.

289802[/snapback]

The Schindlers accused him of such in their 2002 emergency motion, based on a 1991 bone scan.

She never had a heart attack.

289873[/snapback]

Everyone but you says she had a heart attack. Here's one source, if you need any more just google her name + heart attack & plenty more articles will come up.

Michael and Terri Schiavo won a $700,000 malpractice lawsuit after her heart attack 15 years ago,

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...-2005Mar20.html

OK, regardless of your feelings on this whole case, here is what I don't understand. Why pull her tube and have her pass a way in 1-2 weeks? I know we don't have laws/practices that support this, but why can't she just be injected with whatever and pass away immediately? Lets face it, if your dog is dying, you can take it to the vet and have it put under within a minute, no pain or suffering. We actually handle the final days of life better with our pets than with people. Heck, mass murderers are shown more compassion in death, a process lasting seconds.

The best example I saw of this was my father. Near the end he slipped into a diabetic coma, he "lived" for 5 months in this coma, lost about 100# and was 95# when he died. What a joke!!! Why did he have to go through this? In my opinion the medical profession failed misserably. Hell, I failed him. Don't tell me he got 5 more months of life. Nobody should have to go through what he went through. It would have been much better handled had he been able to be put out of his misery, mercifully, quickly, and go that way.

Everyone but you says she had a heart attack.  Here's one source, if you need any more just google her name + heart attack & plenty more articles will come up. 

Michael and Terri Schiavo won a $700,000 malpractice lawsuit after her heart attack 15 years ago,

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...-2005Mar20.html

289926[/snapback]

There are the conspiracy sites that quote Dr. so-and-so and expert such-and-such, but again, if she did not have a heart attack due to dietary imbalance, they would never have won the malpractice suit. The burden was on them to prove negligence, and all the defendents had to do was create reasonable doubt.

If he were abusive, why would the Schindler's stick with him and let him live with them through the period of the malpractice settlement? Why did they not bring up any evidence of it through their attempts to get him removed as guardian? Why did nothing surface until 2002?

OK, regardless of your feelings on this whole case, here is what I don't understand.  Why pull her tube and have her pass a way in 1-2 weeks?  I know we don't have laws/practices that support this, but why can't she just be injected with whatever and pass away immediately?  Lets face it, if your dog is dying, you can take it to the vet and have it put under within a minute, no pain or suffering.  We actually handle the final days of life better with our pets than with people.  Heck, mass murderers are shown more compassion in death, a process lasting seconds.

The best example I saw of this was my father.  Near the end he slipped into a diabetic coma, he "lived" for 5 months in this coma, lost about 100# and was 95# when he died.  What a joke!!!  Why did he have to go through this?  In my opinion the medical profession failed misserably.  Hell, I failed him.  Don't tell me he got 5 more months of life.  Nobody should have to go through what he went through.  It would have been much better handled had he been able to be put out of his misery, mercifully, quickly, and go that way.

289929[/snapback]

The fundamentalists will counter that you were a coward for not 'pulling the plug'. I heard the same thing on a conservative radio program this weekend. I wanted to jump into the radio and shove a feeding tube down his throat.

Not to be out done by the far right the Schindler's have called on the Reverend Jesse Jackson to try and clean up some of the stench left by Bush(s), Frist and DeLay.

289987[/snapback]

COOL! The race card!!!!

Here it comes......................................