Breaking News

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have someone (her husband) saying she told him she wanted to die if she were in such a state.  We have no one saying they heard her say she'd want to be kept alive.  The parents need to stop being selfish and let go.  The feeding tube is what's keeping her alive, because without it she'd die.  She has no quality if life.  Sometimes no life is better than "living."

279871[/snapback]

The problem with everyone weighing in on this in terms of saying that we're keeping her alive is this:

a feeding tube is NOT extraordinary means to keep someone alive.

I hope you have more loving spouses when you have to undergo surgery some day. What she receives is equivalent to the saline drip that you receive after surgery for a couple days until your stomach is ready to receive food -- except that includes more nurtrients than your drip. How'd you like to be disallowed the drip after surgery because your wife/husband says that you didn't want to use extraordinary means to extend your life? Yeah, that's what I thought.

'No. Oddly enough anyone who sees the film and tape of her can see that her brain tells her lungs to breathe, that she can open her eyes, that she seems to respond at times and to some degree to her family. She can laugh. (I heard it this morning on the news. It's a childlike chuckle.) In the language of computers she appears not to be a broken hard drive but a computer in deep hibernation. She looks like one of those coma cases that wind up in the news because the patient, for no clear reason, snaps to and returns to life and says, "Is it 1983? Is there still McDonald's? Can I have a burger?" '

Is this lady a doctor? No...so this is all purely opinion. The lady is a vegatble, not in a coma. The laughing is that of a madwoman!

The problem with everyone weighing in on this in terms of saying that we're keeping her alive is this:

I hope you have more loving spouses when you have to undergo surgery some day.  What she receives is equivalent to the saline drip that you receive after surgery for a couple days until your stomach is ready to receive food -- except that includes more nurtrients than your drip.  How'd you like to be disallowed the drip after surgery because your wife/husband says that you didn't want to use extraordinary means to extend your life?  Yeah, that's what I thought.

279913[/snapback]

That's what living wills are for chief. She didn't have one and is now paying the price.

For what it's worth, I think Noonan's piece on the subject is worth a read. If you are pretty adamently on the husband's side I doubt you'd want to however.

You know whose side I'm on? Terry Schiavo's. I happen to believe that she, like most people, would not want to be kept alive with NO quality of life. If you want that, by all means go ahead and put that in a living will. But the husband says Terry told him she wouldn't want it, while the parents are conjecturing what they think she would have wanted, but never told them.

I don't get how the religious conservatives are weighing in on the parents side with the God's will crap. It's modern medicine, not God's will that's keeping her alive.

279924[/snapback]

Yeah....unplug her and see if God thinks she should live or not.

I hope you have more loving spouses when you have to undergo surgery some day.  What she receives is equivalent to the saline drip that you receive after surgery for a couple days until your stomach is ready to receive food -- except that includes more nurtrients than your drip.  How'd you like to be disallowed the drip after surgery because your wife/husband says that you didn't want to use extraordinary means to extend your life?  Yeah, that's what I thought.

279913[/snapback]

You mean a couple days after surgery or 15 years later when I haven't come to yet? Give me a break.

I don't get how the religious conservatives are weighing in on the parents side with the God's will crap. It's modern medicine, not God's will that's keeping her alive.

279924[/snapback]

That hardly needs to be the crux of the argument and that is not what I am relying upon.

However, that does not seem what's going on here as far as religious conservatives go. They simply believing in perserving life as much as possible, not starving someone to death because "modern technology" is the only thing keeping her alive.

Well I don't think we're going to get anywhere by furthering this discussion. It seems like it comes down to how people weigh different rights and principles when they sometimes come into conflict.

I have my opinion about all this and I respect all of yours. It is not an easy issue to resolve, but it looks like it will be resolved towards the opposing viewpoint.

Since this is what is going to happen, I hope that that is the right decision. I would rather be wrong than right in that case.

I usually try to avoid getting into these sorts of things online as they usually pissing people off and taking more of my time than I would like. Still, I enjoyed this debate and hearing everyone's opinion. I apologize if I ever got personal or nasty; that was not my intent.

I don't see a feeding tube as a "machine" keeping her alive. They could manually put the food into her rather then having a machine do it. So if you have someone who is not physically able to feed themselves then it is OK to let them starve to death now?

Yeah....unplug her and see if God thinks she should live or not.

279926[/snapback]

Yeah BIllsNYC--and dont feed a baby/infant or dont feed a paralyzed person or dont feed a person without arms--and see if God thinks THEY should live or not.Come on.