What areas of the team has Beane actually improved?

Yeezus

So the heroes of last couple of weeks...Allen, McD, and Beane...are now the scapegoats after a pitiful OL performance this week?

Got it.  Board still as over reacting as always and in full mid season form I see.  

Beane is a witch, get on bored before he trades you to a different message board.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Peter said:

I disagree.  Last year was a classic example of backing into the playoffs.  It was a mirage that is about to get very real this year.

We are going to find out very clearly this year just how lucky we were last year.

This year has nothing to do with last year. Different team. Different QB. Different coaches (some of them). Different opponents, etc.

Teams go from bad to good and good to bad all the time.

Edited by MJS

7 hours ago, Peter said:

I disagree.  Last year was a classic example of backing into the playoffs.  It was a mirage that is about to get very real this year.

We are going to find out very clearly this year just how lucky we were last year.

Bills made the playoffs based on the rules set up by the NFL before the season stArted.

But go aheAd and half empty it if you must.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Agent 91 said:

I was just playing on a typical McDermott sound bite. They always say we want to do things.... the right way. I think interpret that to mean our way. Morally and Faith based

I think that that's a good assessment of McDermott's philosophy.  I've said a couple of times in posts that I felt that McDermott was basically a "my way or the highway" type of guy.

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well Trent Murphy and Vontae Davis were hurt pretty much all last year and that didn't stop him from investing in them.

Bottom line is stop making excuses..........Beane made his moves...........now it's about results.

The early returns on Vontae Davis, Star Lotulelei,  Trent Murphy, Newhouse and Bodine...........basically ALL of the free agents of note that he signed......have been disappointing.

If that remains the case throughout the season it would be remembered as perhaps the worst FA class the Bills have ever signed.

But hopefully that changes and the preseason proves to be a mirage.

Davis might get healthier and regain some explosion in his stiff old legs and perhaps Lotulelei is just doing his best Alan Branch imitation(laziest preseason player ever) etc...

We shall see.......but Beane will be judged on his results.......as it should be.

Agreed.  Let's see what happens.  The sky was falling this time last year as well.

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 11:28 PM, Ol Dirty B said:

Whaley also constructed a 9-7 team that was far more talented. He never sat on his hands, seemed to always be trying to improve the team. I really think his weakness in areas of communications, his presser, and the Pegulas being totally inept contributed to his down fall. I really think he came into a lot of dysfunction, if he was able to do the job the way a GM should be, I think he'd succeed. He brought in way more talent to this team than this current regime did. I know it's not a popular opinion, but when you look at it, what has the regime done? They really got lucky. Next year and the year after will be when we can crown them if they are good at their job.

There were two reasons why Whaley's tenure was a failure.  He couldn't find a reliable QB & he was underminded by Rusty & the Pegula's with the Rex Ryan hire. It is really as simple as that.  He built a pretty talented roster.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Gordio said:

There were two reasons why Whaley's tenure was a failure.  He couldn't find a reliable QB & he was underminded by Rusty & the Pegula's with the Rex Ryan hire. It is really as simple as that.  He built a pretty talented roster.   

Kill this meme. Whaley was handed a talented roster and screwed it up. 

On 8/27/2018 at 2:06 AM, Your brain broke said:

All things considered i would have done the draft completely different. I didn't agree with a single pick Beane made. Even if i forgive him for trading all those draft picks for edmunds and allen, there were far better cb's available, and those wr picks...yikes. So many better one's sitting right there. 

Guess its a good thing you arent our GM....

Nancy, is that you??

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Agreed.  Let's see what happens.  The sky was falling this time last year as well.

To be fair, the sky is ALWAYS falling this time of year, every year!

We should have kept Cordy Glenn and not traded up for Allen, then all would be ok ?

10 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So the heroes of last couple of weeks...Allen, McD, and Beane...are now the scapegoats after a pitiful OL performance this week?

Got it.  Board still as over reacting as always and in full mid season form I see.  

Beane is a witch, get on bored before he trades you to a different message board.

Pitiful OL performance all pre season. After a season of varied results, mostly bolstered by the performance of the left side of the line. 

I think the larger gripe is that the FO has literally been preaching for us to trust them. Now 15 months into the job, we are seeing the results of their trust. They lost 2 pro bowl lineman, with a terrible right side, and traded away another talented (albeit injured) LT, and made no real attempt to fortify those positions, we should “trust” them. 

Since Beane took over, virtually EVERY SINGLE position on this roster is worse than the day he started. In 15 months it’s not crazy for us to expect some position to be better. Allen might be the guy. MIGHT. Which is fine, swing for your QB, but you can get better elsewear. Same with Edmunds. He might be better than Preston Brown, but he’s leading a LB corps that is under performaing last years group. 

QB- Worse (today)

RB- Same. Although Murphy looks good.

FB- Same

WR1- Same (not good enough)

WR2- Same (Zay- not good enough)

TE- Same 

LT- Same

LG- Worse

C- Worse

RG- Same (bad)

RT- Same (bad)

LDE- Same 

DT- Same

DT- Worse (sorry Dareus is better) 

RDE- Same (until Trent proves otherwise/healthy and currently not good enough)

OLB-Same (not god enough)

MLB-Same (that’s being generous)

OLB- Same (not good enough)

CB1- Same

CB2- Worse

Safeties- Same

CB3- Worse

Edited by Mango

1 hour ago, Gordio said:

I actually think it was the opposite.

I think Whaley worked behind the scenes to undermine Rex.

Karma is a B word. That ended up blowing up in his face. 

Just now, Peter said:

I actually think it was the opposite.

I think Whaley worked behind the scenes to undermine Rex.

Karma is a B word. That ended up blowing up in his face. 

Rex also undermined Whaley. The two were toxic together. Rex is not a terrific guy either. 

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Rex also undermined Whaley. The two were toxic together. Rex is not a terrific guy either. 

Actually, in my judgment, Rex supported Whaley at every turn as far as I am concerned.  

In my view, Whaley, on the other hand, threw Rex under the bus with the Pegulas and the media (e.g., spread rumors that Rex would be fired even while the team was still fighting for the playoffs).

John Wawrow has posted some things here that support this view.

Whaley was a two timing, back stabbing little . . . . 

8 minutes ago, Peter said:

Actually, in my judgment, Rex supported Whaley at every turn as far as I am concerned.  

In my view, Whaley, on the other hand, threw Rex under the bus with the Pegulas and the media (e.g., spread rumors that Rex would be fired even while the team was still fighting for the playoffs).

John Wawrow has posted some things here that support this view.

Whaley was a two timing, back stabbing little . . . . 

I go back to Rex using the media to go after his GM in NY. He does note appear to be an easy guy to work with, which is no surprise. I'm not here to defend Whaley, who I had major issues with, but put yourself in his shoes - he's constructed an excellent defense that was #2 overall in DVOA in 2014 (behind Seattle), and Ryan comes in and forces an inappropriate scheme on the group. Next thing you know, they're #24 and #27 in defensive DVOA the next two seasons despite real talent.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I go back to Rex using the media to go after his GM in NY. He does note appear to be an easy guy to work with, which is no surprise. I'm not here to defend Whaley, who I had major issues with, but put yourself in his shoes - he's constructed an excellent defense that was #2 overall in DVOA in 2014 (behind Seattle), and Ryan comes in and forces an inappropriate scheme on the group. Next thing you know, they're #24 and #27 in defensive DVOA the next two seasons despite real talent.

We can agree to disagree on schemes (and whether players like Mario and Gilmore went on strike).  That is a far cry from stating that Rex undermined Whaley.  

My sense also is that most of the guys who ever played for Rex or coached with him love him.  I am sure that he not true with guys that he fired or cut, but overall, I believe that is true.

Just now, Peter said:

We can agree to disagree on schemes (and whether players like Mario and Gilmore went on strike).  That is a far cry from stating that Rex undermined Whaley.  

My sense also is that most of the guys who ever played for Rex or coached with him love him.  I am sure that he not true with guys that he fired or cut, but overall, I believe that is true.

I don't think Gilmore went on strike; I actually thought he played well. Mario didn't go on strike so much as check out. He was a terrible teammate and while Rex didn't use him correctly, I don't fully blame Ryan for the terrible performance. That's on Mario, who literally didn't even try in many games. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Rex undermined Rex, by being Rex. 

As you know, I disagree with you 100%.

I will just reference and incorporate everything I have written on the subject to not waste my time or your time.

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I don't think Gilmore went on strike; I actually thought he played well. Mario didn't go on strike so much as check out. He was a terrible teammate and while Rex didn't use him correctly, I don't fully blame Ryan for the terrible performance. That's on Mario, who literally didn't even try in many games. 

Gilmore didn't go on strike?

He refused to tackle!!!

His year can be summarized by that one play where he slowed down to glare at another DB instead of chasing after the WR who ran into the end zone for a TD.

P.S. I agree with most of what you say about Mario.  The Dolphins had the same experience with him the following year in case anyone else doubts what happened with Mario.

Edited by Peter