Being polite is not allowed in school

Just Jack

6 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Lol.  A place where English teachers pronounce the days of the week 

Mondee, Tuesdee, Wendnesdee, etc etc

You mean Tobacco Road.

2 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Maybe @The Poojer can chime in because I know he’s been doing some hikes lately, but the last few that I’ve been out, I’ve come across people that have their music playing, no headphones. Not loud enough to be disturbing, but loud enough I could hear them before I saw them. 

Which is a good practice to do if hiking in bear county.  Be loud!

6 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I got detention in high school for using the term asinine. Evidently they gym teacher thought it was profane.

Good thing you weren't in Shawshank:

You would have got 30 days in the hole.

5 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You mean Tobacco Road.

Down the road in Cary NC there were a lot of tobacco fields and an “ass” farm.  

My son got in trouble in school for saying he liked driving by it.  

What more can you expect from a 6 yr old with Aspergers 

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Down the road in Cary NC there were a lot of tobacco fields and an “ass” farm.  

My son got in trouble in school for saying he liked driving by it.  

What more can you expect from a 6 yr old with Aspergers 

What's an "ass" farm.  The naive side of me says: Donkey Farm.  The worldy side says: Whore House.  Somewhere in between?

Please don't make me google this!  I know Urban Dictionary won't disappoint! ?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

14 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

What's an "ass" farm.  The naive side of me says: Donkey Farm.  The worldy side says: Whore House.  Somewhere in between?

I would pray it’s a donkey farm ?

11 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Maybe @The Poojer can chime in because I know he’s been doing some hikes lately, but the last few that I’ve been out, I’ve come across people that have their music playing, no headphones. Not loud enough to be disturbing, but loud enough I could hear them before I saw them. 

I’ve not experienced that at all out here. 

31 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I’ve not experienced that at all out here. 

Being quiet as a church mouse while hiking in the woods, especially bear country = stumbling onto to a mama and her cubs.

Yeah... You wanna be noisy... Same with mountain lions... Crank that music up.  Get big, arms up, and noise/loud... Swing on down the trail...

The lack of auditory peace will thank not being eaten or mauled.

What's the difference between going old-school and putting bells on your pack or listening to some tunage?

I never see people without earbuds, I've actually started to not even have podcasts or music playing when I hike, the sounds of nature are better than anything I have in my playlist...what i do see far too often is people that think leash 'laws' don't apply to them on trails and in parks.  

20 hours ago, Just Jack said:

23 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

So, she said stop and he didn't.

She must've thought he was pushing her buttons.

Does seem like a huge waste of time.

Priorities.

Everyone knows that the best way to get a child to stop saying something is to make him write that word over & over & over & over &...

• Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

A place where they raise Donkeys 

Ourdonkeys.jpg

9763768_orig.jpg

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

I've used Ma'am disrespectfully dozens of times in life.... 

I wasn't there and I don't have tape of the event, so context is lost completely.

But I will agree it seems on the balance of probs to be silliness.

15 hours ago, The Poojer said:

I never see people without earbuds, I've actually started to not even have podcasts or music playing when I hike, the sounds of nature are better than anything I have in my playlist...what i do see far too often is people that think leash 'laws' don't apply to them on trails and in parks.  

I don’t understand people hiking with earbuds/headphones. You are 100% right. You and I both love music but Mother Nature makes some real good music. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I don’t understand people hiking with earbuds/headphones. You are 100% right. You and I both love music but Mother Nature makes some real good music. 

It would never even occur to me to listen to music when on a good hike.  Might as well go blindfolded.

48 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Depends on locale.  City/suburban park, sure earbuds.  But, backcountry... Probably dangerous to tune out to tunes nothing else can hear.

Highlighted above... Like growling, roaring when you surprise a mama bear and her cubs while they are out foraging for nuts and berries.  Now becomes Your nuts and nature's berries!  ?

Maybe you guys are the bells on the pack kinda guys... But let's put tech to use, a good solar panel to keep it juiced and jam to a nice tune out in the open, no earbuds to muffle the sound.

A nice dog (packed of course) does the trick to warn off some of nature's problem species... Leash can get in way.

Just making the case why, in some types of areas, these things that people find annoying, actually have a purpose.  But, if you are hiking around the city/suburban park... I guess loud music and unleashed dogs can get annoying...

?

22 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

It would never even occur to me to listen to music when on a good hike.  Might as well go blindfolded.

They see you before you see them.  Let them hear you first even better.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

On 8/26/2018 at 2:59 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

On 8/26/2018 at 3:14 PM, Buffalo716 said:

I would pray it’s a donkey farm ?

18 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

A place where they raise Donkeys 

Ourdonkeys.jpg

9763768_orig.jpg

It's what Catholic priests call choir practice

• Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Move thought about it because I absolutely LOVE music and have some great streaming apps and then I think “what was I thinking?  This is beautiful!!”  Also you can’t hear the mother!@#$ing bicyclists racing up behind you. Have I told you recently how much I hate bicyclists??  ???

8 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Depends on locale.  City/suburban park, sure earbuds.  But, backcountry... Probably dangerous to tune out to tunes nothing else can hear.

Highlighted above... Like growling, roaring when you surprise a mama bear and her cubs while they are out foraging for nuts and berries.  Now becomes Your nuts and nature's berries!  ?

Maybe you guys are the bells on the pack kinda guys... But let's put tech to use, a good solar panel to keep it juiced and jam to a nice tune out in the open, no earbuds to muffle the sound.

A nice dog (packed of course) does the trick to warn off some of nature's problem species... Leash can get in way.

Just making the case why, in some types of areas, these things that people find annoying, actually have a purpose.  But, if you are hiking around the city/suburban park... I guess loud music and unleashed dogs can get annoying...

?

They see you before you see them.  Let them hear you first even better.

Jesus dude paranoid much?  How often are hikers eaten by bears/mountain lions etc?   It happens but I’m not blaring Smoke in the Water just in case. ?

• Haha (+1) 1