John McCain Discontinuing Medical Treatment

8 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I think we can safely say that Republicans have officially lost the moral high ground.

That's not a bad thing. It never really made sense in the first place. A darwinian approach to governance is diametrically opposed to Christian values. Just seems as though that particular juxtaposition has crossed the Rubicon of plausibility.

When did they ever have the moral high ground? Both parties are full of immoral jackwagons.

• Like (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, Niagara said:

Another interesting article about an aircraft carrier. Google McCain and Spain and power lines and find other stories. 

https://www.theburningplatform.com/2018/08/26/mccain-the-hero-nearly-sunk-an-aircraft-carrier-killed-134-sailors/

Except it's not even remotely true.  It's a demonstrable lie that Lew Rockwell has been pushing since 2008.

• Like (+1) 1

Definitely mixed feelings on McCain.  He was a good family man and I appreciate his military service.

However  he should have resigned after the Keating Five scandal.  I think he got away with a crime because Congress wasn't about to prosecute five well known members of their small fraternity. 

11 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I think we can safely say that Republicans have officially lost the moral high ground.

That's not a bad thing. It never really made sense in the first place. A darwinian approach to governance is diametrically opposed to Christian values. Just seems as though that particular juxtaposition has crossed the Rubicon of plausibility.

Remember when Jesus said "kill or imprison all who refuse to do as I say?" I don't remember which verse it is, but it's my favorite.

1 hour ago, Rob's House said:

Remember when Jesus said "kill or imprison all who refuse to do as I say?" I don't remember which verse it is, but it's my favorite.

"Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, and render unto God what is God's... or die mother!@#$er!"

Just now, joesixpack said:

How so? It's pretty straightforward.

Not at all.

To understand the passage you need to understand the history of Roman currency, which leads directly to why Jesus asked the question he did in the manner of a rabbinical approach to teaching.

I made a lengthy post about it on the old board, and am afraid it might be lost. 

4 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

How so? It's pretty straightforward.

It isn't as straightforward as it seems, because it is so often taken out of context.

The Pharisees were trying to get rid of Jesus, who was threatening their supremacy and livelihood, so they tried to trick him and they asked him the question if he thought the Jews should pay Roman taxes.

If he answered that the Jews should not pay taxes, he would incur the wrath of the Roman occupiers. and if he suggested that they should, he would alienate his rapidly growing Jewish followers.

So he asked them to show him a coin they were talking about.

They pulled out a denarious, the Roman coin at the time.

He asked them whose image was on it, and they replied "Caesar's."

As Pharisees, they knew full well that using such a coin with an image on it was sinful, per their religion, yet here they were, the supposed elite, violating their own law.

It's one of the many times during that week he exposes the religious and temple elite as complete hypocrites.

2 hours ago, Rob's House said:

Is that how you judge people? Comparing them to Jesus? Kinda seems like a great way to determine that everybody sucks. 

3 minutes ago, sherpa said:

It isn't as straightforward as it seems, because it is so often taken out of context.

The Pharisees were trying to get rid of Jesus, who was threatening their supremacy and livelihood, so they tried to trick him and they asked him the question if he thought the Jews should pay Roman taxes.

If he answered that the Jews should not pay taxes, he would incur the wrath of the Roman occupiers. and if he suggested that they should, he would alienate his rapidly growing Jewish followers.

So he asked them to show him a coin they were talking about.

They pulled out a denarious, the Roman coin at the time.

He asked them whose image was on it, and they replied "Caesar's."

As Pharisees, they knew full well that using such a coin with an image on it was sinful, per their religion, yet here they were, the supposed elite, violating their own law.

It's one of the many times during that week he exposes the religious and temple elite as complete hypocrites.

I know what the passage means. I went through 15 years of biblical indoctrination in a bible fellowship church.

My point was that if someone read the entire chapter from which that verse is taken, his meaning becomes pretty evident.

2 minutes ago, ALF said:

I don't like Trump

You don't say.

Color me shocked.