Cost of Living Complaints

Needle

2 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

God bless you. I may or may not be feeling the affects this morning. 

As usual I'm not feeling the affects, which is fortunate, because I have a golf date with a smoking hot 55 year old. That's a younger woman to me.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

My health insurance company is giving everyone a 5% increase in rates, unless you do a screening, take some online health assessment and then sign a pledge not to use any tobacco products.    

So far I'm 2/3 and I'll be signing the pledge as soon as open enrollment starts.   It sucks that they make you jump through these hoops but worth it not to have a 5% increase.   

tobacco use wasn't in your health or medical questions before?

in Canada that's been standard for decades. 

6 minutes ago, row_33 said:

tobacco use wasn't in your health or medical questions before?

in Canada that's been standard for decades. 

I don't think so, i don't remember ever being asked if i used it.   i've had a cigar every now and then but this year haven't even really been into that.  

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. I wasted the other half. - WC Fields

Sent my kids to private school from pre-k 3 through HS. They liked school and they are doing well, so I guess it was worth it. Education has been our biggest expense outside of our home.

4 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

no worries man I completely agree.  The health assessment was BS.  They took blood samples but did not make people fast, so how good can the sample be?  Then they weighed me but the scale was WAYYYY off.  I mean 27lbs off and I protested but I don't know they didn't adjust it, I think it was hung up on the baseboard.  I assume next year when i show to have gained almost 30lbs my rate will skyrocket so  kinda pissed about that.   

This is one cost of living complaint I feel is justified.   I can't get along without health insurance.   I had an emergency appendectomy 6 years ago that would have cost me 35,000 dollars and bankrupted me. I ended up paying about a grand.   

But it's cheaper for me to be on a separate policy and the wife and kids to be on one together.   So we do that. 

About 10 years ago our son had ACL surgery. Just for the day of surgery the bill was about $70k. Because we had insurance the carrier had that negotiated down to a MUCH lower number. No insurance? You pay the BIG number. My other son worked as an admissions counselor for a rehab facility. They were told to use the beds on people with no insurance to get the big number, regardless of actual need. He left shortly after they changed to that policy. 

Edited by Augie

33 minutes ago, Augie said:

About 10 years ago our son had ACL surgery. Just for the day of surgery the bill was about $70k. Because we had insurance the carrier had that negotiated down to a MUCH lower number. No insurance? You pay the BIG number. My other son worked as an admissions counselor for a rehab facility. They were told to use the beds on people with no insurance to get the big number, regardless of actual need. He left shortly after they changed to that policy. 

my insurance company drew a line across about 17k worth of the bill and just said "nope we're not paying" and they didn't.  It was crazy. 

47 minutes ago, Augie said:

this Canadian almost had a heart attack reading that for a simple ACL

On 8/23/2018 at 3:48 PM, Chef Jim said:

Dude.  Dump the boat and direct TV and the hookers and blow all of a sudden become a viable part of the monthly budget.   This, my friend, is how I earn my fee.  

No, dump the house and DirecTV.  Take the hookers out on the boat...then you don't have to pay them, and you can afford more blow.

Some financial planner you are.

• Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

No, dump the house and DirecTV.  Take the hookers out on the boat...then you don't have to pay them, and you can afford more blow.

I guess all this by the book legal financial planning had really clouded my creativity.  

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

I guess all this by the book legal financial planning had really clouded my creativity.  

When you sending me the $100,000 for the meadcoins? ?

Edited by mead107

9 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

My health insurance company is giving everyone a 5% increase in rates, unless you do a screening, take some online health assessment and then sign a pledge not to use any tobacco products.    

So far I'm 2/3 and I'll be signing the pledge as soon as open enrollment starts.   It sucks that they make you jump through these hoops but worth it not to have a 5% increase.   

We have a similar deal. Go through a  whole biometric scree. Weight, height, neck circumference, waist to hip ratio.....full blood analysis which checks everything from liver enzymes to cholesterol. Its actually pretty damn cool because I just submit it to my family practitioner in lieu of bloodwork and  its basically just talking points for the annual physical. Well worth the discount in health insurance. ....Good clean living ??

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Like (+1) 1

We HATE debt. We paid for the pre-paid college stuff, and  Florida Bright Futures took care of the rest. (Almost.) A few grand back then. What a blessing!  Sure, we kicked in along the way, but there are four degrees with ZERO student debt. Education and healthcare have gotten out of control! 

6 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Plus with more blow, that grocery bill will continue to go down. 

48 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I’m sorry....do I know you?  

Not at all, we talked on the phone several weeks ago.  Remember, I told you that 25% Guaranteed first year and you were so excited. 

Edited by mead107

6 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Not at all, we talked on the phone several weeks ago.  Remember, I told you that 25% Guaranteed first year and you were so excited. 

Oh yeah I remember. You hung up when I said “ok....25% the first year is very good. What are the returns year two on?”  ?