Cost of Living Complaints

Needle

2 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

In 2007 I pulled an equity line to open a restaurant with my brother, we sold it in 2008 at a pretty huge loss.   So i've been carrying around that $400 a month for the past 10 years.   Frustrating when I think of all the other things I could be doing with that money.   

Daughter in college right now, we pay her health insurance, car insurance, cell phone bill, and I'm sure a host of other things the wife doesn't tell me about even though I'm fine with it.    That's gotta be close to $250 a month

Mortgage 1400 a month

vehicle payments 230+300=530 a month

we were paying storage on the boat, but I sold it so that's 30 a month back in my pocket

Power bill in Florida is around 300 a month

cell phones 200

Directv 100

Hell I don't know how we do it some times and other times I wonder why we don't sell the house, downsize everything and cut off everything and just have money.    

Ok please don't kill the messenger and it is part of what I do for a living but it drives me nuts when people complain about the costs of things they chose to purchase.  

10 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Ok please don't kill the messenger and it is part of what I do for a living but it drives me nuts when people complain about the costs of things they chose to purchase.  

i have a friend with 4 alimony and palimony situations, he's making $250,000 a year and living like it's $40,000

9 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

The only thing that really bothers me is the equity line on the house.  I was just listing my COL, really don't have any complaints outside that stupid 400 a month payment.  

They say nothing ventured nothing gained, but you can lose your ass by taking a risk and starting a business.    

The vehicle payments i'm fine with I love my truck, not getting rid of it for anything.  

12 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

The only thing that really bothers me is the equity line on the house.  I was just listing my COL, really don't have any complaints outside that stupid 400 a month payment.  

They say nothing ventured nothing gained, but you can lose your ass by taking a risk and starting a business.    

The vehicle payments i'm fine with I love my truck, not getting rid of it for anything.  

hang in there and do the right thing for you and yours

my only living heroes are people who try to raise a decent household, i sure couldn't have done it...

40 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Fuel oil here in Vermont.  Depending on the price of oil, I can easily spend $800-$1000 per month in the winter to heat my home.

My daughter’s new preschool costs $170 per week.  They better be teaching her advanced geometry and trigonometry, and not just fingerpainting and singing all day long.

Finally, my wife and her online shopping.  We had a “spat” last week when I was cleaning out the closet in the foyer.  She had 11 North Face spring jackets in there...3 of them still had the tags on them.  Her philosophy is if something is on sale and she doesn’t buy it, regardless of whether she actually needs it, we are losing money in the long run.  The freaking UPS truck is at our house every single day.

You and this guy have similar issues. My favorite line is around the 49 second mark about UPS and FedEx. (warning: this includes harsh language).

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

hang in there and do the right thing for you and yours

my only living heroes are people who try to raise a decent household, i sure couldn't have done it...

If the market keeps going up, we'll sell our house when my son graduates high school in 2 years we don't need 4 bedrooms for 2 people.   Once that sells we'll settle down somewhere and downsize.  By then the cars will be paid off and my daughter will be off our books for all the other stuff.   

So in the next 5 years we'll be fine. 

9 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

If the market keeps going up, we'll sell our house when my son graduates high school in 2 years we don't need 4 bedrooms for 2 people.   Once that sells we'll settle down somewhere and downsize.  By then the cars will be paid off and my daughter will be off our books for all the other stuff.   

So in the next 5 years we'll be fine. 

hope it works out for you, i stayed single and gladly pay rent (it goes up $12 a month each year in a nice area in Toronto) and my parents will probably outlive me, but I'm happy.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

I think someone needs to go back and read the thread title. 

31 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Freaking Hot Yoga $125/month, but it is only thing that keeps me all loosey goosey!

I saw a drink coaster that said “I didn’t make it to the gym yesterday. That makes three years in a row”. I realized we’ve been paying $250/month for a gym because they put a bubble over four tennis courts in the winter. I had not been there in over a year. That recently ended as I was getting no loosey goosey for my $250/month.

Kids. Kids are very, very, VERY expensive! And that’s if you get lucky! I’ve got a buddy a few years younger than I am. His youngest daughter is looking at Ivy League schools, then she wants to go to medical school. Ugh! When those kid expenses end, it feels good to catch your breath. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I think someone needs to go back and read the thread title. 

well if it's just complaining, why doesn't everyone just sell their possessions and live under a bridge?  

i guess I could complain about the price of groceries going through the roof, but what's the point?  You still have to eat unless you're going to go rice and water for every meal.   

Stuff costs money.  

• Like (+1) 1

Having moved from Boston down to NC 4 years ago, I really can't complain about the cost of living anymore.  If it wasn't for certain medical expensive we've had this summer, I bet I could have a Scrooge McDuck-style swimming pool of coins (pennies of course).

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Student Loans: $989.46 a month.  This is after paying down a little over 80k.

One of the reasons I cannot complain about my daughter's bills being my bills.  When she graduates she'll have less than 15k in student loans.   And she will have a bachelors in Accounting.  She's already done 2 internships and has job offers.   

It's an investment because some day she's going to decide what old folks home I go to :D 

1 minute ago, Soda Popinski said:

One of the reasons I cannot complain about my daughter's bills being my bills.  When she graduates she'll have less than 15k in student loans.   And she will have a bachelors in Accounting.  She's already done 2 internships and has job offers.   

It's an investment because some day she's going to decide what old folks home I go to :D 

Trying to save for my kids now, but its useless.   I went to a state school so I came out with some loan debt, it wasnt life altering though.   My wife went to Nazareth and came out with over 100k.   I have a good job, but not Doctor status like that much student loan would indicate.  She works for a not for profit, good for the soul, but you know.

Love my wife dearly, but never thought I'd be 35 and not own my house.  

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

Trying to save for my kids now, but its useless.   I went to a state school so I came out with some loan debt, it wasnt life altering though.   My wife went to Nazareth and came out with over 100k.   I have a good job, but not Doctor status like that much student loan would indicate.  She works for a not for profit, good for the soul, but you know.

Love my wife dearly, but never thought I'd be 35 and not own my house.  

homeownership is overrated.   I've owned houses since i was 21 years old and it's just another thing to put money into.   Worrying that my AC is going to go at any time now, it's 15 years old and there goes 5 grand when it does.  Same with the roof but it's 15 grand when it goes. 

8 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

homeownership is overrated.   I've owned houses since i was 21 years old and it's just another thing to put money into.   Worrying that my AC is going to go at any time now, it's 15 years old and there goes 5 grand when it does.  Same with the roof but it's 15 grand when it goes. 

I hear ya my friend.  But the dream persists.   I'd very much like to be in my own house by the time I am 40.