Cost of Living Complaints

Needle

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

I hear ya my friend.  But the dream persists.   I'd very much like to be in my own house by the time I am 40.

I don't know your situation but I'd say keep working toward it.   keep your eyes on the market you never know when a deal will present itself.   know what area you want to live in and what areas you do not.   I'm 40 and I can tell you it's not as big a deal turning 40 as it was made out to be, i don't feel any better or worse than I did at 30 to be honest.   When you get the house you've always wanted it will be all that much sweeter.   

1 hour ago, Soda Popinski said:

well if it's just complaining, why doesn't everyone just sell their possessions and live under a bridge?  

i guess I could complain about the price of groceries going through the roof, but what's the point?  You still have to eat unless you're going to go rice and water for every meal.   

Stuff costs money.  

My original point was the topic was started for people to complain about the cost of living and you proceeded to "complain" about things you chose to buy.  The home, the cars,  the boat, the cell phones, direct TV.  I think it would be wiser to B word about the rise in the cost of things that were not of your choosing but more necessities such as food, clothing and fuel.  Again it's what I do for a living.  I tell people all the time.  The threat to people not achieving financial independence is themselves...their behaviors.  

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

My original point was the topic was started for people to complain about the cost of living and you proceeded to "complain" about things you chose to buy.  The home, the cars,  the boat, the cell phones, direct TV.  I think it would be wiser to B word about the rise in the cost of things that were not of your choosing but more necessities such as food, clothing and fuel.  Again it's what I do for a living.  I tell people all the time.  The threat to people not achieving financial independence is themselves...their behaviors.  

My bad.  

Groceries...AMIRIGHT?? 

1 minute ago, Soda Popinski said:

As someone not wanting or needing your advice i'll take it that i'm on the right track 

You're on a better track.  However you choose which groceries you buy and where you buy them.  But yes inflation does make groceries more expensive.  

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

You're on a better track.  However you choose which groceries you buy and where you buy them.  But yes inflation does make groceries more expensive.  

But I still don't have enough money for hookers and blow, so I've got to economize.   I can't live like this anymore 

And don't say I have to choose!  You can't have one without the other.  I'm not going to half ass my vices.   It's All in or nothing!

Edited by Soda Popinski

Just now, Soda Popinski said:

But I still don't have enough money for hookers and blow, so I've got to economize.   I can't live like this anymore 

Dude.  Dump the boat and direct TV and the hookers and blow all of a sudden become a viable part of the monthly budget.   This, my friend, is how I earn my fee.  

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

well if that is the criteria I will amend my answer to ...nothing. Pretty GD cheap to live here in Richmond..even compared to Buffalo. Food, fuel, housing, taxes, even restaurant prices much lower than  even Buffalo . We choose to have a DC place.. the only B word I got up there is standard cocktail  of Hendricks and Tonic is $14 now, and my wife aint no slouch putting those away.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

As a financial planner who was a professional Chef no you're not right.  LOL!!  

Do you cook the books too? j/k

I read Your Money or Your Life in my early twenties. Opportunity cost is a very real thing. I am retired now on fixed income. Not rich but not broke.

20 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Sold the boat Sunday  

I financed many, many, many boats back in my resort living/banking days. It seems like such a lovely idea.....until things go off track a little bit. It’s the FIRST thing people STOP paying for when times get tight. Curiously, I had many of my past due boat loans get paid off by insurance companies after they sunk when hurricanes got witching 500 miles of us (but usually missed us completely). Go figure? 

35 minutes ago, Augie said:

I financed many, many, many boats back in my resort living/banking days. It seems like such a lovely idea.....until things go off track a little bit. It’s the FIRST thing people STOP paying for when times get tight. Curiously, I had many of my past due boat loans get paid off by insurance companies after they sunk when hurricanes got witching 500 miles of us (but usually missed us completely). Go figure? 

I wasn't going to get into that trap.  i paid cash for mine, it was older, and i had to put a lot of elbow grease and wrenches into getting it up to snuff, but I learned a lot.  Had it for 4 years and sold it for what I paid for it so not terrible in my opinion.    I'm going to buy another but not in the next year or so, i need to pay some of my other bills down and get some bills off the books first.  

But where i live, it's going to be tough being boatless.    

3 minutes ago, Steve O said:

I never get hangovers. Maybe move a little slow in the morning if I'm way over served, but never a headache. Maybe if there was a price to pay I wouldn't spend so much on wine and beer.

How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

• Haha (+1) 1

my wife has been a stay at home Mom for most of our marriage. I've been working a second job for 15 years and am always exhausted. The financial stress might hasten my demise. My daughter's in competitive dance which including out of town competitions runs us into the thousands. 

6 minutes ago, stuvian said:

my wife has been a stay at home Mom for most of our marriage. I've been working a second job for 15 years and am always exhausted. The financial stress might hasten my demise. My daughter's in competitive dance which including out of town competitions runs us into the thousands. 

Cheaper to keep her. Trust me on this one.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, stuvian said:

The struggle is real my friend. Most of my friends wives are stay at home moms or work part time. My wife reminds me that more than I would like. There's no damn way on Gods green earth that I'm getting a 2nd job so she can stay home. We both make decent money for the area we live in, but there's no way we could live how we live on one income without going into debt. And it's not like we're living an extravagant lifestyle as it is now.

2 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

The struggle is real my friend. Most of my friends wives are stay at home moms or work part time. My wife reminds me that more than I would like. There's no damn way on Gods green earth that I'm getting a 2nd job so she can stay home. We both make decent money for the area we live in, but there's no way we could live how we live on one income without going into debt. And it's not like we're living an extravagant lifestyle as it is now.

Word. For what you get and what you get paid in the Philly region, it's not exactly easy living. Can't wait to move out of the area.

5 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Word. For what you get and what you get paid in the Philly region, it's not exactly easy living. Can't wait to move out of the area.

I'm too far from Philly to  get the good $. I'm 2 counties west. I'm sure I could get a better paying job in West Chester or Philly, but then you're talking a minimum of 45 minute commute each way or a train ride. Right now I'm driving 11 minutes, the bills are getting paid and I have a little beer money. The juice ain't worth the squeeze at this stage of my life.