Tribute bands

22 hours ago, Bills4everNY said:

I'm going to see Dweezil in concert in Florida this October. Looking forward to it.

Wish he was coming to the west side of the state, no way can I make it over to the east coast... which one are you going to?

10/24/18 Culture Room Ft. Lauderdale, FL TICKETS  
10/25/18 Maxwell C. King Center Melbourne, FL    
10/26/18 Southwest Florida Events Center Ft. Meyers, FL TICKETS MASTERCLASS
10/27/18 Ponte Vedra Concert Hall Ponte Vedra Beach, FL TICKETS
  • Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, T&C said:

Wish he was coming to the west side of the state, no way can I make it over to the east coast... which one are you going to?

10/24/18 Culture Room Ft. Lauderdale, FL TICKETS  
10/25/18 Maxwell C. King Center Melbourne, FL    
10/26/18 Southwest Florida Events Center Ft. Meyers, FL TICKETS MASTERCLASS
10/27/18King Ponte Vedra Concert Hall Ponte Vedra Beach, FL TICKETS

King Center in Melbourne.

DSB (Don't Stop Believing) a pretty good Journey tribute band. Saw them on a cruise ship, but they're based here in California. https://dsbband.com/

On a 6-degree of separation - Buffalo Bills football side note, their guitarist is the brother of former Bill (for a minute) Dean Cain. 

Edited by 707BillsFan

10 hours ago, Bills4everNY said:

I hope he does it. I saw a youtube clip of a Dweezil concert where his sister Moon came out for "Valley Girl." That would be cool to see too.

I will tell you what I noticed is that with Deeezil it’s all about the band. He really gives them the stage. 

10 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

There is a Bon Jovi tribute band?  What's next, a tribute to elephant piss?

Even for a Bon Jovi tribute they were bad. I only saw them because they were opening for the AC/DC Tribute Back in Black. The lead singer of that one auditioned with the band after Brian Johnson had to retire. He played a full set in a rehearsal studio with Angus and the full band. The band loved him, and wanted him. But management wanted a name, and ultimately went with Axl Rose.

Had 2 recent opportunities for tribute bands that I didn't end up getting to (kinda bummed about it):

Absolute Journey played at the 585 Rockin' Burger Bar, and Almost Queen played at the Rochester Party in the Park

On 8/23/2018 at 9:57 AM, row_33 said:

what works of Frank does a Zappa tribute usually cover?

Zappa Plays Zappa plays anything and everything. For a few years it looked like they'd focus on an album from 40 years before. In 2014 they played a lot from Roxy & Elsewhere, in 2015 a lot from One Size Fits All. Not sure what they are playing these days, haven't seen them in a while.

Edited by SinceThe70s

1 hour ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Had 2 recent opportunities for tribute bands that I didn't end up getting to (kinda bummed about it):

Absolute Journey played at the 585 Rockin' Burger Bar, and Almost Queen played at the Rochester Party in the Park

Going to see Queen Extravaganza next month. A Queen tribute band where the members were hand selected by Brian May and Roger Taylor. 

On 8/21/2018 at 4:23 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I get dogged on a lot because I go see a lot of tribute bands. But with the music I listen to, it's a great option. I listen almost exclusively to stuff from "before my time." So the artists I like are either dead, or retired. If they're still touring, tickets are sometimes $200+ a pop, and a lot of the times, only have one or two original (or at least from the prime) members left in the band. Even when it's an affordable ticket, for a good amount of the real band, they don't sound as good as they once did with age.

Tribute bands, if not free, are $10-20 max, and although obviously fake, the real members of the band are represented. It also take a lot more work than people realize. They not only have to sound good, they have to replicate what the original band sound like, and a lot of the time the on stage nuances and mannerisms. Usually they try to replicate the right equipment if they can afford it? Does anybody else enjoy a good tribute band, or are they as cheesy as people say? I've seen a lot of good ones, and not so great ones.

AC/DC 2
Allman Brothers 1
Beatles 4
Billy Joel 1
Bon Jovi 1
Def Leppard 1
Doors 2
Eagles 1
Elton John 1
Guns N Roses 1
Iron Maiden 1
Johnny Cash 1
Journey 2
KISS 3
Led Zeppelin 4
Metallica 2
Ozzy/Sabbath 1
Pink Floyd 3
Rolling Stones 1
Rush 1
Stevie Ray Vaughn 1
Thin Lizzy 1
Tom Petty 1
Van Halen 1

Band being honored, and number of different bands Tributes I've seen of them.

How were the Doors tribute band?  

4 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

How good were the Doors tribute band?

I've seen two of them, they were both different, but great. One played the music excatly like the studio version, and you'd think you were listening to the record. The other one, was one I saw more recently. They recreated more of The Doors live experience. Extended solos, random lyric changes, psuedo philosophical rants in between songs. Very accurate, and the keyboard player had the same type of organ Ray had. 

4 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

I assume this is a Who cover band, if so what did they play?   A lot of early songs?

They're actually a Michael Jackson Tribute I believe.

4 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I've seen two of them, they were both different, but great. One played the music excatly like the studio version, and you'd think you were listening to the record. The other one, was one I saw more recently. They recreated more of The Doors live experience. Extended solos, random lyric changes, psuedo philosophical rants in between songs. Very accurate, and the keyboard player had the same type of organ Ray had. 

They're actually a Michael Jackson Tribute I believe.

After I posted I thought I would look them up.   That is what it says.  Amusing in a way.     I actually went back and deleted the post, and you replied after the delete.  You must have been looking when I posted, as I can only see the second post.

Thanks for the reply.