Josh Allen to start Sunday

FluffHead

1 minute ago, Zerovotlz said:

:D  .....I count myself as one of those critics....and I will gladly back down if Allen continues to shine when he's playing in a real football game.....you all have every right and every reason to be encouraged....He has looked like a good QB prospect should look so far.  I'm just not buying that a guy with his on field history has suddenly been cured of all his ailments after some workouts iwth Jordan Palmer, a training camp, and 2 preseason games....The same coach who had Carson Wentz, should have been able to identify these and fix them...and didn't or couldn't...but now he's suddenly fixed?.....IF that IS the case...then myself and a TON of others will have been completely wrong..PLUS, it would be a major major defeat of the analytics crowd who all say Allen should be a monumental bust.

I hated the pick on draft day. I had watched him a few times in college and read a bit and Saw a bunch of youtubes. 

Then I did a deep dive, and watched several whole games of his and found out a lot about him and what he is made of and watched how he handled himself and very quickly I was very impressed.

I was wrong about him. I didn't know enough about him to know the real kind of player he was. And I think that's why a lot of people we down on him, even national writers who don't often do their jobs. 

Now I love the guy. And he has played better than I expected so far. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Zerovotlz said:

There weren’t any apparent opening-night jitters for Ryan Leaf.

The touted rookie quarterback from Washington State came out poised and led two scoring drives – capping one with an impressive 3-yard TD pass to Bryan Still – and the San Diego Chargers beat San Francisco 27-21 in their exhibition opener last night.

Leaf made a few mistakes, like throwing into double coverage at the goal line – Still actually drew a pass-interference call on that one – and not getting off a play in time during the two-minute drill.

Otherwise, Leaf had a better night than Steve Young.

The 22-year-old Leaf, taken with the second pick in the April draft and named the starter for the season on Wednesday, was 14 for 20 for 116 yards.

Here’s another account of his first night:

Ryan Leaf didn’t look at all like a rattled rookie in his NFL debut. Sure, the touted San Diego Chargers quarterback made some mistakes and still has a ways to go in adjusting to the faster pace of the pro game. But was he nervous? Nope. It’s not in his playbook.

“He throws so accurately,” coach Kevin Gilbride said. “Even though he was late a few times, he put it in position where the only one who could catch it was us. That was the most encouraging thing…. I don’t want to in any way, shape or form make it seem like he’s where he needs to be. Still, he’s able to make plays and that’s what it comes down to. I thought he did that very, very well.” As he has numerous times this summer, Gilbride called Leaf “special.” Running back Terrell Fletcher called Leaf “a fearless player. That’s a big attribute.”
Leaf said the radio receiver in his helmet, which coaches use to call in plays, didn’t work the first two series. He partially winged it, with help from his teammates and quarterback coach June Jones, who told him to have three or four plays down pat to use. “I think he surprised a lot of people with how composed he was,” guard Raleigh McKenzie said. “We went three-and-out the first series, then he got real poised. He knew what to do in there.”

Leaf’s first pre-season start was much better than the man selected one spot before him in the 1998 draft:

Watching Peyton Manning and Jon Kitna, it was hard to tell who was the No. 1 pick in this year’s NFL draft. All Archie Manning’stutoring and that extra year at Tennessee couldn’t get Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts past the Seattle Seahawks and Kitna in his pro debut.

After his first pass, a 48-yard touchdown strike to Marvin Harrison on his first series, Manning looked like an ordinary NFL rookie. There was a fumble that teammate Tony Mandarich recovered and an interception to end a series. In Manning’s other four series, it was three-and-out.

“He’ll learn from his mistakes and he’ll play better,” Colts coach Jim Mora said.

Manning admitted: “I need to play a little better. We didn’t move the ball very well.”

Against Seattle, Manning was 8-for-15 for 113 yards with a touchdown and an interception. He looked confused at times. The NFL isn’t the Southeastern Conference. His father, Archie, a former NFL quarterback, told him that and now he’s finding that out for himself.

He was intercepted by cornerback Fred Thomas in the second quarter before being replaced by Kelly Holcomb. On the first play of the second quarter, Manning fumbled without being hit, but the ball was recovered by Mandarich.

“That was a rare, freak play,” Manning said of the fumble. “The ball just slipped out of my hand.”

But that was just one game. Manning and Leaf met head-to-head in the regular season dress rehearsal known as week three of the preseason:

Round 1 went to Ryan Leaf and the San Diego Chargers. The rematch with the Indianapolis Colts and Peyton Manning will be in October, when it counts.

The meeting last night between Leaf, the second pick in the National Football League draft, and Manning, the No. 1 pick, was only the second time in N.F.L. history quarterbacks picked 1-2 in the draft had faced each other as rookies.

Leaf was 15 for 24 for 172 yards, set up one touchdown and ran for a score as the Chargers broke a 3-3 tie at half and beat the Colts 33-3. It was only an exhibition game, but after a shaky first half, Leaf looked sharp in leading the Chargers.

Manning, playing into the third quarter for the first time in the preseason, was 11 for 21 for 123 yards but twice had passes intercepted.

Why are you on here, doing all this research to tell fans of another team not to be excited about their top 10 draft pick rookie QB.

I hope no Bills fans wasted their time doing this on a KC board about Mahomes. I doubt any would. 

Even I wasn't high on the pick, but I've never told anyone to not be excited about him and this preseason. I'm not sure how it'll work out, but it's still exciting.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

Just now, jrober38 said:

The Bengals will be a good test. 

Hopefully he plays well because it looks like they're not going to be able to keep him on the bench for the start of the season. 

I honestly didn’t expect him to look this good this early he’s clearly out playing the other QBs and when that happens you have to start the roof or you risk losing the team

I think we should all be thrilled with this news because it means Allen is progressing with every snap or rep he gets. Baby steps from 3rd string to starter in this 3rd pre-season game. Bengals D will be a good test for the rookie. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I honestly didn’t expect him to look this good this early he’s clearly out playing the other QBs and when that happens you have to start the roof or you risk losing the team

He's looked a little better than I expected. Mostly the way he carries himself. 

The arm is bigger than I thought. It honestly looks like he could throw a football through a brick wall. His mobility has been as advertised. His command of the huddle has been impressive and he hangs in the pocket pretty well.

The flip side is that the yards per attempt has been pathetic. The easy fix is completing a deep ball or two. I also worry about the vanilla defenses he's faced and take everything he's doing with a grain of salt. No one is game planning against him yet. 

I've been pleasantly surprised mostly with his poise in the pocket but there's still plenty of work to be done. EJ Manuel showed all the same stuff when he was a rookie so I'm being cautious. 

Edited by jrober38

Just now, jrober38 said:

He's looked okay.

The arm is bigger than I thought. It honestly looks like he could throw a football through a brick wall. His mobility has been as advertised. His command of the huddle has been impressive and he hangs in the pocket pretty well.

The flip side is that the yards per attempt has been pathetic. The easy fix is completing a deep ball or two. I also worry about the vanilla defenses he's faced and take everything he's doing with a grain of salt. 

I've been pleasantly surprised mostly with his poise in the pocket but there's still plenty of work to be done. EJ Manuel showed all the same stuff when he was a rookie so I'm being cautious. 

Two bombs to Foster in game one were both fantastic throws. Not the first one, the second two. Both were right on the money and bad plays by the WR, especially the third one. 

• Like (+1) 1

This is the logical thing for the Bills to do. Put him with the ones on what would be a normal week type schedule (closest you will get to real football). If he falters and shows he isnt ready yet then Peterman starts week 1. 

If he grabs the opportunity and runs with it the Josh Allen Era has begun. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

Two bombs to Foster in game one were both fantastic throws. Not the first one, the second two. Both were right on the money and bad plays by the WR, especially the third one. 

Definitely. The arm and willingness to attack the defense are definitely there. 

I'm more cautious simply because it's preseason and no one is actually game planning to stop what he does well and attack what he struggles with.

As with every rookie, the key will be watching how he adapts over the next 6 weeks as the opposition gets more film of him. Even though I didn't think he'd be successful when we picked him, he's obviously an easy guy to root for. 

I never wanted to draft Allen. I was very upset draft night. Little by little I came around. The kid is fun to watch and is much further along then I expected. Im at the point now where I hope he ends up winning the job. The only thing with this is, Peterman has played awesome. Everyone just gets mesmerized by Allen and it blurs everyone else. Peterman has been the best QB in the preseason and I don’t think it’s close. If Allen plays good Sunday I think he is going to start. If he slips a little, I really think Peterman will. Naming Allen the starter Sunday might be more about being his “turn” and less about week 1. Allen has a shot. He can take this thing. But if he has a tough time against NFL starters, Peterman is going to start IMO. I hope the kid steps up and wins this thing, but I’m not in the camp of feeling like he already has.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

He's looked okay.

The flip side is that the yards per attempt has been pathetic. The easy fix is completing a deep ball or two. I also worry about the vanilla defenses he's faced and take everything he's doing with a grain of salt. 

This was a very deep QB draft and to be perfectly honest Josh Allen has look the best out of every QB Donald Rosen mayfield all of them his deep throws last week should have been caught if his deep speed receiver would lay out for a damn ball

The next  wheat shows the ability to throw the ball on the frozen ropes where defenders don’t even have time to me please even though they have good position in coverage he shows his ability to turn nothing into something when the offense of line gives him no time 

He is playing Like a seasoned veteran and excellent for a rookie I don’t know what bar you were comparing him to

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

Definitely. The arm and willingness to attack the defense are definitely there. 

I'm more cautious simply because it's preseason and no one is actually game planning to stop what he does well and attack what he struggles with.

As with every rookie, the key will be watching how he adapts over the next 6 weeks as the opposition gets more film of him. Even though I didn't think he'd be successful when we picked him, he's obviously an easy guy to root for. 

The two TDs he has thrown were not going to be stopped if ones, twos or threes or all-pros were in on defense. 

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

This was a very deep QB draft and to be perfectly honest Josh Allen has look the best out of every QB Donald Rosen mayfield all of them his deep throws last week should have been caught if his deep speed receiver would lay out for a damn ball

The next  wheat shows the ability to throw the ball on the frozen ropes where defenders don’t even have time to me please even though they have good position in coverage he shows his ability to turn nothing into something when the offense of line gives him no time 

He is playing Like a seasoned veteran and excellent for a rookie I don’t know what bar you were comparing him to

I'm not jumping to these conclusions.

You're talking about rookie QBs who have all thrown 20-30 passes against defenses that haven't planned on how to stop any of them. 

Things will be a lot different in the regular season. 

Just now, John from Riverside said:

2nd preseason game and I"m thinking to myself the kid looks as calm as Matty "ice" Ryan out there.

MERCY!

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The two TDs he has thrown were not going to be stopped if ones, twos or threes or all-pros were in on defense. 

100%. 

The throw in game 1 was one he and about 2 other guys can make (Rodgers and Stafford?). 

The throw in game 2 was one he and about 2 other guys can make (Big Ben and Newton?). 

Very impressive. 

• Like (+1) 1