Have You Vacationed in Belize?

Gugny

I'm kicking around the idea of taking a vacation with my son to Belize.

I'm looking for some real-life experiences, guidance, advice, etc., that will help guide me to my decision.

My primary question is about day-to-day costs.  I've researched a lot online, but the figures seem to be all over the place.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, so thank you in advance!

I’m sorry that I can’t help you, but this does bring up a famous quote from the Augie household......We stopped in Cozumel while on a cruise. I like warm weather, but I have to admit that it was HOT. I wanted to walk and explore with the family. They wanted no part of it. We stopped at a Carlos and Charlie’s for some AC and snacks (and daiquiris the size of a fish bowl). Upon leaving I turned toward more exploring, while the family turned back toward the ship. When I complained, my oldest announced “One block of Mexico looks just like the rest”. So much for exploring....

My wife got suckered in with “braid you hair, pretty lady”. The daiquiris in her said hey...why not? Turns out she’s “tenda headed”. The combination of hangover and tight braids gave her the worst headache of her life!

So....no, I don’t know squat about Belize.

(We had a freind who went to do some diving, and he LOVED it.) 

Some of the best diving on earth. But, Taking even a guided day trip up a river and the heat and humidity will kill you. Brutal.

It makes Florida seem cool. We ended that quickly and just checked out reefs.

When we were there and maybe it has improved. If you Rent a vechicle and take it down a rural road at night or even at dusk,  then you are considered  fair game for, anything. In particular bridges or even a large culvert. Armed scum are everywhere. Like most places

they know the difference between locals and tourists driving a rental. No problem in daylight

Fish tacos, and ceviche top shelf.  

Stopped there on a cruise.  The diving is awesome.  Very poor country, so I'd imagine there are some nice hotels that are kept away from the local population since they need tourist dollars.

Been there several times, but only as a cruise stop.  If you like to dive in the gulf (no Pacific shore) it would be a cost-effective place to base from.  They push the Mayan ruins. If you are worried about getting robbed (or worse) there are always all-inclusive resorts that keep out the non-working locals, and probably (double check before booking) have armed guarded gates.