Trumpist Maximus' Military Parade Postponed

ANN ALTHOUSE: Military parades are always political theater, but this one was purely a rhetorical game — set up and won by Trump. 

“Mediate scoffs — but Trump is right. Full credit due.

I never thought this military parade was going to happen. Trump lured his antagonists into looking like they were attacking the military and then, in an effort to make him look bad, getting the price jacked up to an atrocious $92 million, which was just the move that he needed them to make to justify cancellation and then to blame them for obstructing what would have been a glorious patriotic display — a display that, as ever, exists only in the mind.”

It also underscores that the “normal” way of doing business today is absurdly difficult and expensive, making the argument for Trump’s break from today’s normality seem not crazy, but sensible.

6 hours ago, The_Dude said:

.....I remember Thanksgiving in 2003. Somebody, I’m pretty sure GW, decided to “visit the troops” at Baghdad international. That dick. They locked down the base the whole time he was there and wouldn’t let my platoon in. We were hoping to get hot chow which for us was a novelty. Nope. We missed Thanksgiving — but Bush had a good photo op!

I hated when people came to visit the troops. All that happens is the grunts are put on extra guard shifts and patrols while the POGs (whom I have no love for) get to continue with their merry making. 

And the "surprise" visits...like Obama made an unplanned diversion to Afghanistan and just popped to Bagram unexpectedly to say hi.  No, there are no "surprise" visits, just unannounced ones.

Same reason I hate the "The president hasn't visited the disaster zone yet!"  In the "if I were president" world, I'd explicitly stay away from hurricane strikes and such, so the security prep doesn't interfere with recovery efforts.  The job is more important than the photo op - or should be, at least.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

And the "surprise" visits...like Obama made an unplanned diversion to Afghanistan and just popped to Bagram unexpectedly to say hi.  No, there are no "surprise" visits, just unannounced ones.

Same reason I hate the "The president hasn't visited the disaster zone yet!"  In the "if I were president" world, I'd explicitly stay away from hurricane strikes and such, so the security prep doesn't interfere with recovery efforts.  The job is more important than the photo op - or should be, at least.

One of the things that made "W" a beloved person by his staff was that he refused to go anywhere for a holiday, because it would mean that much of his staff would have to be away their families at that time. Also, his dad was a true gentleman too and often gave a pat on the...…………………………….never mind.

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Dear god....my feelings exactly on the issue. 

“B-b-but Bush didn’t pass out water bottles after Katrina?

Ridiculous. 

Presidents need to stay the hell out of theatres of operation. 

Unless your Churchill but that was different because he was so badass. (And yes I know he wasn’t a POTUS). Only non-American guy I know to have a US Navy boat named after him. At least I think that’s true. Pretty sure. I googled. It’s true. A “destroyer.” I have no idea what a destroyer is btw. Boat war makes no sense to me. I’ve no idea how any of it works. 

Edited by The_Dude

On ‎08‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 5:10 AM, ALF said:

The VA needs that money more then a parade if Trump wants to honor the military.

Who, in our federal government, enjoys the "power of the purse"?

Just how do you people think our government is run?

Is civics really not a !@#$ing thing any more?

39 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

in November 2016 the entire Dem Party and most of the media got to learn about the Electoral College

1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Duh, the guy with the pen and the phone!

11 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

Duh, the guy with the pen and the phone!

an adult eventually learns to suck it up and get going with life, right???

i guess not for the 8 years of The Donald

amusing  :D