Italian Bridge

Another Fan

We (wife, niece, nephew and me) were on that very bridge Friday. In fact, on it twice on our way too and from the airport in Genoa to Sestri Levante. Too close. That entire area looks an old and tired port city. Not that we spent any time there just looking out the window while driving. Italians are awesome builders, I have to think this was a maintenance, lack of funds issue. 

Edited by Dante
  • Sad 1

It appears from pictures that they had removed a substantial amount of concrete from a section of the deck to repair it.  It's little wonder why it collapsed.  The bridge was already in a compromised state.  

7 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

We were on the Amalfi Coast in Italy, and there is a bridge that had blocks added to one of the abutments to make it level.  Maybe bridge building is not one of Italy's strengths?

I've driven probably thousands of miles on Italian autostradas; I think they have some of the best highways in the world.

3 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I love how most of them are hauling ass, completely oblivious to their surroundings.

I like how they aren't actually hitting the bridge, but a beam they installed to decapitate the trucks before they actually struck the bridge.

I feel bad for the people in rental trucks.  They don't drive big trucks frequently.  The people I laugh at are the professional movers/tradespeople.  They drive those things all the time and should know better.