The Woman’s Guide To Changing A Tire

Just Jack

2 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

Lexus, I think.

Kind of cute. Not really sexy. 

Dirty double meanings a little forced. 

Insufficient instructions to actually change a tire. 

She bounced in the lug wrench, but did she ever really get the nuts loose?  Video editing makes it hard to believe. 

In the end, the only thing that matters is a yes. 

Carry an extension bar.  Old-timer boss would say: "Put a long enough bar on it and a classy lady in high heels can get those lug nuts off!"  ??

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I'm more thinking along the lines of are tire recapping companies cutting corners with regards to quality.  Seems as if there are more shredded casings than years ago.  I imagine truck traffic volume is up as well.

Or companies are running them bald since they should be on inside of trailer.  Less maintenance?  Pushing things further.

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah... MINI too hasn't been offering a spare for a while.  2014 doesn't have spare or oil dipstick... Frankly, I love it.  Especially checking oil via the computer.  I think it uses less sealed and run flats are the bomb... No hassles.  Harder ride though.

And... I know people may roll their eyes, but running pure nitrogen in tires... Gives you no winter TPMS issues... Air pressure remains stable during extreme temps.

Painless ownership to a degree.

No.  I got all that.  I store and change my winter wheels/snows myself.  And my son does that with his vehicle.  That happens in November & April here.

Guys who drive at the track like me hate run flats, b/c they are heavy (and that's unsprung weight which is a bad thing), and there aren't that many options out there, particularly for performance duty.

I've been a member of the BMWCCA for many years.  Most folks can't stand the transformation to run flats and the elimination of the dipstick as well.  Unfortunately, the premium German manufactures decided a long time ago to go the crazy computer/techno route with their cars.  It's really hard to work on them these days.

My personal beef with most new BMW products is that the computers draw a constant strain on the battery, such that your battery will be dead if you are out of town for a few weeks and don't touch the car.  Need to disable the battery and what not.  Stuff like that is just total bull ****.

BMW pisses me off these days with lots of things, not the least of which is abandoning their traditional design philosophy and making big, bloated, bland looking cars with marginal handling, like everyone else.  The switch over to turbos and away from the inline 6s, which is why you buy a BMW in the first place, was the final straw.  I think I'm done with them.

At least they still offer stick shifts on some of their cars.  That's becoming increasingly rare. 

Sorry to rant and go so off topic.

Edited by Fadingpain
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

Guys who drive at the track like me hate run flats, b/c they are heavy (and that's unsprung weight which is a bad thing), and there aren't that many options out there, particularly for performance duty.

I've been a member of the BMWCCA for many years.  Most folks can't stand the transformation to run flats and the elimination of the dipstick as well.  Unfortunately, the premium German manufactures decided a long time ago to go the crazy computer/techno route with their cars.  It's really hard to work on them these days.

My personal beef with most new BMW products is that the computers draw a constant strain on the battery, such that your battery will be dead if you are out of town for a few weeks and don't touch the car.  Need to disable the battery and what not.  Stuff like that is just total bull ****.

BMW pisses me off these days with lots of things, not the least of which is abandoning their traditional design philosophy and making big, bloated, bland looking cars with marginal handling, like everyone else.  The switch over to turbos and away from the inline 6s, which is why you buy a BMW in the first place, was the final straw.  I think I'm done with them.

At least they still offer stick shifts on some of their cars.  That's becoming increasingly rare. 

Sorry to rant and go so off topic.

Thank MPG regulations for the turbo revolution.

Battery-wise... Most are putting in AGM batteries and either insulated well... IE: Buried, PITA to get at, as in the '14 MINI... But not really hard, just time-consuming... OR: In the trunk like the new Bimmers.  Which, is kinda nice.  No matter which way you park, you can jump/throw on Battery-Tender.

Tech, is what it is.  RFT's etc... Make a husband's handling of the fleet a bit easier.  If I am not home... Just drive it to the tire shop down the block when they open or when you get a chance.  Anything major, don't call Me.  AND don't drive in over 10" of water & go over 3mph in said flood with a 3-Series!!! Goes without saying!

YET... FWIW... They really ain't hard, new tech vehicles.  Just PITA to get to things, the sequencing of service.  Finding the hidden quirks.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

On 8/14/2018 at 11:48 AM, Just Jack said:

I’ve only had to change a tire once, but ended up calling AAA because I could not get one lug nut off. Got the other four okay. Even had some of my stronger coworkers give it a try, but it was not budging. Had no choice but to call. 

next time set the car back down and roll it forward or back, should move the rim a bit and nut will loosen.

22 hours ago, Gary M said:

next time set the car back down and roll it forward or back, should move the rim a bit and nut will loosen.

Again... An extension bar, "cheater/breaker bar"... Put a 3 foot pipe over handle of lug wrench and a lady in high heels can loosen the nut.  All it needs is mechanical advantage.  Yet... Who carries a 3' pipe to slip over handle of lug wrench!

2' bar will break anything loose, & compact.

capri-tools-ratchets-cp40120-64_1000.jpg

Anyway... I always put a little itty bit (not too much) of "never seize" on the lugs... Or lithium grease... Again very little!

Then there is this... Easy to stow... LoL:

https://www.amazon.com/Torque-Multiplier-Lug-Nut-Wrench/dp/B00FPS5SQS

51uNKD5A0tL._AC_SY400_.jpg