The Woman’s Guide To Changing A Tire

Just Jack

My wife's car doesn't even come with a spare.  Run flat tires and a button on the dash to press for SOS.  That fails, call the number on the back sticker or Me. Doesn't even have a dipstick to check the oil, all done through the computer.

That's the real women's guide... Why even attempt it.  Heck, my 20 year old son's ride the same way.

Wave of the future... Let somebody else do it. /smh  Last month my son ran around all day with zero PSI in one tire before having time to take it to shop to get repaired. Under 20 bucks.  In 35 years of driving, I never changed a flat on the side of the road.  Sure... In my driveway or @ work, but never on side of road.  Now You just jinxed Me!  ? I have even plugged tires while still on vehicle, but never changed a tire on side of road.  Drove to tire shop with screw sticking in sidewall to, albeit very slowly.

Why dirty the jack, spare.  Changing a tire is overrated.

Sucks if you get blowout... But how many times do You get a blowout.

Actually... Probably safer not having a spare, jack & tire in all seriousness.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

2 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

While it appears passenger vehicle tires have evolved, does it seem to anyone else that transport truck tires must be using a lot of poor quality 'recaps'?  My routine commute on the QEW seems to indicate so, casings all over the place.

I concur.

Stateside too... "Alligators" all over the place!!!

"Alligator" because they jump out at You like a gator!

Though, I think they can only retread inside tires?

9 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I concur.

Stateside too... "Alligators" all over the place!!!

"Alligator" because they jump out at You like a gator!

Though, I think they can only retread inside tires?

Depends where the idiot mechanic decides to put the capped tire.  Almost rolled a GMC 6500 series years ago because the fleet 'mechanic' didn't keep track of where recaps were being used.  Ended up on left front.  ?

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

The Woman’s Guide To Changing A Tire

1-800-CALL-AAA

Everyone knows that. Even men. Shesh.

^^^See that's what I am talking about!

Smelling what I am grilling in my above posts!

[Again, on serious note, probably safest too!]

Only the smart survive!  Work smart, not hard!

??

1 minute ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Depends where the idiot mechanic decides to put the capped tire.  Almost rolled a GMC 6500 series years ago because the fleet 'mechanic' didn't keep track of where recaps were being used.  Ended up on left front.  ?

Wow!  That calls for gov't regulation.  Make the recaps red! Hi-viz!

Two birds one stone.  See them on road too!

?☺️

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

While it appears passenger vehicle tires have evolved, does it seem to anyone else that transport truck tires must be using a lot of poor quality 'recaps'?  My routine commute on the QEW seems to indicate so, casings all over the place.

I see it all the time too on the shoulders, chunks of tire everywhere from the big rigs

So I guess I'm the only one with a floor jack, chocks, and a lug wrench in the back?

On passenger cars those pack-jacks are pretty easy to use, though... Like really easy.

But as stated above, everyone I know who doesn't want to get their hands dirty just spends the $50 on AAA.

I do applaud any attempt to teach young people (man or woman) how to do anything for themselves. They may break out in hives or sneeze continuously, but they will develop a tolerance to work. Heck, they might even start to enjoy it. ?

I haven't had to change a tire on the road since I was in college (mid 80s). About 10 years ago I noticed a tire was pretty low, but I made it to a tire place where they plugged the hole. (I ran over a nail in a parking lot.) That car had a donut, so if necessary, I could have changed it.

Many of today's vehicles don't have a spare tire - not even a donut. Our 2015 came with this:

TSK.JPG

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

this isn't the old days when shredded radial belt tires were all over the shoulders of the highways

also PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO CHANGE A TIRE OR DO ANY WORK UNLESS YOU ARE WELL WELL WELL AWAY FROM THE TRAFFIC

i've attended 3 funerals of people who got hit trying to repair their cars...

this happened last week, somehow neither of the two with the SUV  were badly hurt... for a few days we just had the right camera so there was no explanation how the second man suddenly show up....

Edited by row_33
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

So I guess I'm the only one with a floor jack, chocks, and a lug wrench in the back?

On passenger cars those pack-jacks are pretty easy to use, though... Like really easy.

But as stated above, everyone I know who doesn't want to get their hands dirty just spends the $50 on AAA.

I do applaud any attempt to teach young people (man or woman) how to do anything for themselves. They may break out in hives or sneeze continuously, but they will develop a tolerance to work. Heck, they might even start to enjoy it. ?

My wife wasn’t allowed to drive until she showed her father she could change a tire. He didn’t want her getting stranded somewhere, and this was before cell phones and easy AAA access. 

I’ve only had to change a tire once, but ended up calling AAA because I could not get one lug nut off. Got the other four okay. Even had some of my stronger coworkers give it a try, but it was not budging. Had no choice but to call. 

Another time one I had some piece of metal stuck in my tire, on the threads, I could hear it as I drove. Called a tire shop and to find out how late they were open. The guy tells me to go ahead and pull it out before coming over. I’m like “no way, it’s not leaking so I don’t want to take a chance on it going flat before I get there.”  They were able to pull it out and just plug it, no need to buy a replacement tire. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

My wife's car doesn't even come with a spare.  Run flat tires and a button on the dash to press for SOS.  That fails, call the number on the back sticker or Me. Doesn't even have a dipstick to check the oil, all done through the computer.

That's the real women's guide... Why even attempt it.  Heck, my 20 year old son's ride the same way.

Wave of the future... Let somebody else do it. /smh  Last month my son ran around all day with zero PSI in one tire before having time to take it to shop to get repaired. Under 20 bucks.  In 35 years of driving, I never changed a flat on the side of the road.  Sure... In my driveway or @ work, but never on side of road.  Now You just jinxed Me!  ? I have even plugged tires while still on vehicle, but never changed a tire on side of road.  Drove to tire shop with screw sticking in sidewall to, albeit very slowly.

Why dirty the jack, spare.  Changing a tire is overrated.

Sucks if you get blowout... But how many times do You get a blowout.

Actually... Probably safer not having a spare, jack & tire in all seriousness.

What does she have?  BMW?

The woman in the video is not a 10, but not a 1 either.

Yes, all day long.

Edited by Fadingpain

44 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I haven't had to change a tire on the road since I was in college (mid 80s). About 10 years ago I noticed a tire was pretty low, but I made it to a tire place where they plugged the hole. (I ran over a nail in a parking lot.) That car had a donut, so if necessary, I could have changed it.

Many of today's vehicles don't have a spare tire - not even a donut. Our 2015 came with this:

TSK.JPG

I haven't changed a tire in ages.  Since forever I've kept an inflator in my car. Every nail I've had only ever resulted in a slow leak. Every few years the inflator saves me, including a month ago.  

10 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Yes, all day long.

Lexus, I think.

Kind of cute. Not really sexy. 

Dirty double meanings a little forced. 

Insufficient instructions to actually change a tire. 

She bounced in the lug wrench, but did she ever really get the nuts loose?  Video editing makes it hard to believe. 

In the end, the only thing that matters is a yes. 

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

this isn't the old days when shredded radial belt tires were all over the shoulders of the highways

I'm more thinking along the lines of are tire recapping companies cutting corners with regards to quality.  Seems as if there are more shredded casings than years ago.  I imagine truck traffic volume is up as well.

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

Yes, all day long.

Yeah... MINI too hasn't been offering a spare for a while.  2014 doesn't have spare or oil dipstick... Frankly, I love it.  Especially checking oil via the computer.  I think it uses less sealed and run flats are the bomb... No hassles.  Harder ride though.

And... I know people may roll their eyes, but running pure nitrogen in tires... Gives you no winter TPMS issues... Air pressure remains stable during extreme temps.

Painless ownership to a degree.

2 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

No.  I got all that.  I store and change my winter wheels/snows myself.  And my son does that with his vehicle.  That happens in November & April here.

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

TSK.JPG

RFT, run on flat so much better.  I know they say rough ride... I don't really notice.

You can go on zero PSI for 90 miles @ 50mph or less.  I usually take object out and mark with tire chalk where object was.

You can patch them too...

They have much stronger sidewall to handle zero PSI.  So sidewall strength is better protection.

2 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I’ve only had to change a tire once, but ended up calling AAA because I could not get one lug nut off. Got the other four okay. Even had some of my stronger coworkers give it a try, but it was not budging. Had no choice but to call. 

Another time one I had some piece of metal stuck in my tire, on the threads, I could hear it as I drove. Called a tire shop and to find out how late they were open. The guy tells me to go ahead and pull it out before coming over. I’m like “no way, it’s not leaking so I don’t want to take a chance on it going flat before I get there.”  They were able to pull it out and just plug it, no need to buy a replacement tire. 

On the older vehicles, I carry a plug kit right in the vehicle... Rasp, glue, etc... Plug the !@#$er right on the Jeep or truck.  Front wheel, just turn it. Then fill with portable compressor.

You really don't want to drive with road hazard in tire.  Well, I don't.

Plugs aren't bad, just don't run tires bald.  They will hold.

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

also PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO CHANGE A TIRE OR DO ANY WORK UNLESS YOU ARE WELL WELL WELL AWAY FROM THE TRAFFIC

i've attended 3 funerals of people who got hit trying to repair their cars...

this happened last week, somehow neither of the two with the SUV  were badly hurt... for a few days we just had the right camera so there was no explanation how the second man suddenly show up....

Why BMW engineers want You rolling, not changing a tire... TPMS will alert you.  Roll to a shop or safe location.  The RFT will hold @ zero PSI.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois