More car stories

RochesterRob

Just thinking about my college days.  I remember when the Camaro was offered with a 4 cylinder option for the first time back during the early 1980's.  My first college roommate ridiculed the notion and I likewise looked down my nose at it.  I bought a used '79 Chevy shortly before I went to college and got thinking about it last night.  I remember what the purchase price was and was looking around online last and checked out MSRP for that car and realized that inflation wrung more out of me than I realized even though it was low miles.  Another time I remember a girl at college needed a jump start just before Christmas vacation and she was VERY grateful.  In the end I was the perfect gentleman and said I would hope she would help somebody else out if similarly distressed.  I remember another girl was trying and did get her father to buy her a then brand new '84 Mustang (smallest engine available).  I was always the type of guy to have my nosed pressed against the family car window before I could drive and see what was on the dealer's lot.  

Hope I did not bore anybody and was not copying any recent other car threads such as most broken down or first car.  Just going to shows this summer with a good friend we were pleased to see any late '70's car as that was the time we came of age so it is on the brain including last night while checking out cars online.  If I came into some serious cash I would not mind a high quality Monte Carlo or Malibu.  I like Vettes but want to cut my own path if I can ever collect.  What would you collect that is off the beaten path?

I had a friend whose girlfriend got one of those four cylinder Camaros in 1980 or 1981. A bright red one. I had another friend with an RX7 and he just teased the heck out of her for it. I couldn’t bring myself to tease her because she was incredibly cute. She’s married to a big shot hospital CEO now. 

I’ve always been the guy who researches all the new cars.  Whenever I go to buy a car I quickly realize that I know more about it than the guy trying to sell it to me. 

My favorite year for cars was either 1967 or 1968. 

I believe that generation of Camaro featured the brilliant GM engineering solution of using nylon gears in the gearbox.

I could be wrong on the timing of that.

Late '70s early '80s is about the worst possible time frame for automobiles.  Almost everyone on the planet was making pure garbage, and it was when emissions controls were first being implemented.  Lots of neutered trash produced around that time.

6 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I believe that generation of Camaro featured the brilliant GM engineering solution of using nylon gears in the gearbox.

Late '70s early '80s is about the worst possible time frame for automobiles.  Almost everyone on the planet was making pure garbage, and it was when emissions controls were first being implemented.  Lots of neutered trash produced around that time.

Not a high point in the industry for sure.  For me the vehicles of that time tie in with me transitioning into manhood so that is the rational behind wanting something from that time.  I want to say the nylon gear set was just for reverse but need to check on that.  I saw a Chevette at a show this summer so some people have more offbeat tastes than I do.  I used to know a guy that was heavily  into AMC vehicles.  Javelins, Hornets, Pacers, Eagle, etc..

16 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

How would we ever know nylon gears couldn't work!  They are now found in your GDO (garage door operator).

Somebody has to be the guinea pigs.

?

My car story is a bit different.  My Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited is five + years old.  I'm in the market for a new SUV, but difficulty arises in that we have to have a passenger assist handle on the A pilar for my wife's use.  The only SUV in my $ range is the Toyota 4Runner.  It seems that all the major manufacturers of SUV's also make pickup trucks; none of their SUV's have assist handles, ALL of their pickups do have them.  Not sure why, but that's the case.  (The "assist handle" tucked over the door is of no use in entering or exiting the truck.}

After market shops won't even consider adding an assist handle to an SUV because of the air bag wiring in the A pilar and the attached liability possibility.  So, I'm giving the 4runner a hard look.

Help:  Does anyone know of an SUV out there with a passenger assist handle on the A pilar?  Anyone care to share experience of having a 4Runner?

Edited by Keukasmallies

I know it's gonna be blasphemy but I loved the Subaru Baja.  Looked like an avalanche put in the dryer.   If you were a guy in your 20s and you liked to be outdoors but didn't want a full sized truck that thing looked perfect.    I'd probably buy one today if i could I just  thought they were cool little cars.   

11 minutes ago, Keukasmallies said:

My car story is a bit different.  My Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited is five + years old.  I'm in the market for a new SUV, but difficulty arises in that we have to have a passenger assist handle on the A pilar for my wife's use.  The only SUV in my $ range is the Toyota 4Runner.  It seems that all the major manufacturers of SUV's also make pickup trucks; none of their SUV's have assist handles, ALL of their pickups do have them.  Not sure why, but that's the case.  (The "assist handle" tucked over the door is of no use in entering or exiting the truck.}

After market shops won't even consider adding an assist handle to an SUV because of the air bag wiring in the A pilar and the attached liability possibility.  So, I'm giving the 4runner a hard look.

Help:  Does anyone know of an SUV out there with a passenger assist handle on the A pilar?  Anyone care to share experience of having a 4Runner?

Jeeps

4 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I know it's gonna be blasphemy but I loved the Subaru Baja.  Looked like an avalanche put in the dryer.   If you were a guy in your 20s and you liked to be outdoors but didn't want a full sized truck that thing looked perfect.    I'd probably buy one today if i could I just  thought they were cool little cars.   

I heard that those have a cult following. They probably will be very collectable down the line. Good luck finding one in good condition, though...

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Jeeps

I heard that those have a cult following. They probably will be very collectable down the line. Good luck finding one in good condition, though...

I'd probably just buy an avalanche because I need the space and capacity, i just think they're neat little cars.   I drive a Ram 1500 now so definitely love the full size trucks.   

12 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I love the GM G-bodies of the 80s. Before they went to FWD. Not a lot of power, unless you got a GNX. Great cruisers though.

Gimme a '86 Cutless Supreme with some fat tires....

img_f_659013237-2433337641.jpeg

I had a coworker in the ‘80s who once said that whenever cars are backed up because somebody can’t get up a slippery hill in the winter, it always turns out to be one of those cars with the big doors.