Nick O'Leary Possibly on the Bubble with Jason Croom Emerging - Jack's Grandson Released

4 hours ago, BigDingus said:

O'Leary wasn't spectacular, but he's reliable in actual games...

Who cares who looked better in preseason....Rather have someone as consistent and steady as Nick on the team than a bunch of unknowns who looked nice in camp & preseason.

Pretty much this. If there's one guy who has been cut, who can be considered to be unlucky, it's O'Leary. Imho, he's the only guy in that room who was reliable. Clay's knees do not make him reliable, and we ave no idea how the rest of them will work out, if at all. Croom does have upside, for sure, but keeping the other two above O'Leary, doesn't seem quite right to me. 

8 hours ago, BigDingus said:

O'Leary wasn't spectacular, but he's reliable in actual games...

Who cares who looked better in preseason....Rather have someone as consistent and steady as Nick on the team than a bunch of unknowns who looked nice in camp & preseason.

3 hours ago, Buddo said:

Pretty much this. If there's one guy who has been cut, who can be considered to be unlucky, it's O'Leary. Imho, he's the only guy in that room who was reliable. Clay's knees do not make him reliable, and we ave no idea how the rest of them will work out, if at all. Croom does have upside, for sure, but keeping the other two above O'Leary, doesn't seem quite right to me. 

These POVs make absolutely no sense to me as if O'Leary's past performances as a mediocre 2nd team TE under other systems should mean anything with others emerging in 2018.  Every opportunity to improve the roster should be seized upon by affording opportunities through competition and that's what the Bills have done here. 

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

These POVs make absolutely no sense to me as if O'Leary's past performances as a mediocre 2nd team TE under other systems should mean anything with others emerging in 2018.  Every opportunity to improve the roster should be seized upon by affording opportunities through competition and that's what the Bills have done here. 

The POV comes from the simple fact that O'Leary has performed in the actual NFL, and had some moderate success - the sort of moderate success you can associate with a 2nd/back up TE.  Lee has been around the NFL, and a bunch of different teams, for the same amount of time as O'Leary, (from 2015) and has 1 career reception for 7 yards.

I can see the upside for Croom, particularly, and Thomas might have a chance too, but when Clay inevitably has to miss a game or two, you really think you can rely on them?

Just now, Buddo said:

The POV comes from the simple fact that O'Leary has performed in the actual NFL, and had some moderate success - the sort of moderate success you can associate with a 2nd/back up TE.  Lee has been around the NFL, and a bunch of different teams, for the same amount of time as O'Leary, (from 2015) and has 1 career reception for 7 yards.

I can see the upside for Croom, particularly, and Thomas might have a chance too, but when Clay inevitably has to miss a game or two, you really think you can rely on them?

You've been out voted by the Bills' coaching staff. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buddo said:

This is sooth. ;)

Doesn't mean I can't think they might be wrong though. ;)

Nick O' Leary is nothing special and guys like him are replaced every year in the league. 

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You seem upset about O'Leary.  Should the team not afford opportunities for emerging talents and subsequently not reward them for outperforming other players?

This applies here as well. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Nick O' Leary is nothing special and guys like him are replaced every year in the league. 

I've yet to see any evidence that he has been replaced by anything special, which is the point after all.

Just now, Buddo said:

I've yet to see any evidence that he has been replaced by anything special, which is the point after all.

I have, the media who covered camp and preseason has, and the coaches most certainly have as evidenced by their decision to release O'Leary. 

3 minutes ago, Buddo said:

The issue isn't being replaced by a special player as it is being replaced by a better player. As noted by 26Corner the people covering this team have stated all along that O'Leary's roster spot was in jeopardy. And indeed it came to pass. 

2 minutes ago, Buddo said:

I think they made a mistake.  Sure, O’Leary was no Antonio Gates, but he has shown that he can/will make plays in REAL nfl games when it counts.  A proven commodity.  I get Croom and Lee, as Croom seems to have a much higher ceiling than O’Leary and Lee will be the blocking TE.  But keeping Logan Thomas over O’Leary was dumb, IMO.

I was wrong.  But that doesn’t mean that I think the coaching staff was right.

13 minutes ago, Buddo said:

Do you think O’Leary makes the same catch that Lee hauled in from Allen in the 1st preseason game?

Here is what I don't get. 

We know what we have in Clay. He's a solid starter. He may or may not be here in 2019. But right now he makes sense. He's good. If he stays healthy could be quite good. 

We pretty much know what we have in Lee. Good blocker. Utility guy. Showed some hands. Every team wants and needs a backup like this although won't play that much. 

We knew what we had in O'Leary. He's a gamer. Doesn't do anything real well but he produced to a tolerable if not decent degree in his opportunities. He made plays despite his very limited physical gifts. 

But Thomas and Croom are the same player in a lot of ways. Great size but somewhat slender. More like oversized WR. Good skills and speed. Can't block that well but mostly willing. 

But neither of them have produced in real games. It's almost impossible to imagine that both will improve so much they can be a solid 1-2 punch next year if Clay is gone. That's really a stretch. 

I like both to some degree. I know all about Thomas knowing the offense and being the teacher. But they are the same guy. And a much much better chance that neither will be good than both. O'Leary is limited but known. He can play. 

Really tough choice. I'm not even sure I know what I would do (and obviously wasn't around for practice). 

But there is a very good argument for keeping O'Leary. 

• Like (+1) 1

The people who advocate for O'Leary should have also supported keeping the mediocre Tyrod Taylor as the QB.   It's the same logic of not reaching higher after achieving a decent plateau.  Flawed logic regardless of position. Always seek to acquire better talent. 

30 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The people who advocate for O'Leary should have also supported keeping the mediocre Tyrod Taylor as the QB.   It's the same logic of not reaching higher after achieving a decent plateau.  Flawed logic regardless of position. Always seek to acquire better talent. 

Now you are being ridiculous. 

Nick O was a limited player.  Sure he made some plays for us and that's not to be forgotten.  I just look at this from a couple of angles.

1)  I look at this coaching staff and the prototypes they had at TE.  O'Leary doesn't fit that.  He's a glorified H Back that doesn't really transition to what they want in a TE well.

2)  He's already maxed out in terms of what he's going to give you.

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Haven't heard anything about interest in or scheduled workouts for Jack's Grandson as of yet.

Odd.  Same goes for Reilly.  Some rumored interest by the Cheaters (surprise, surprise!) and another team, but nothing imminent.