RIP Doug Grindstaff - creator of the Star Trek sounds

1 hour ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

http://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/03/obituaries/douglas-grindstaff-star-trek-sound-whiz-dies-at-87.html

Phasers, photon torpedoes, transporter, red alert, tribbles, etc. - all him.

Another part of my youth gone.  Along with Matt Jeffries' set designs I spent a few rainy Saturdays imagining I was onboard the Enterprise.  We had a steep staircase between the floors and I always thought it made the perfect Jeffries' Tube (the tube Scotty crawled in to make vital repairs often while the ship was under attack).

I have always found this sort of "sound effect editing" to be really interesting.

There is a documentary out there, as I recall, focusing on how the Star Wars guys got a lot of the sounds we hear in the movies.

Like the sound of the AT-AT's legs moving during the Battle of Hoth in Empire Strikes back was a recording from some type of industrial assembly line machinery which featured a hydraulic press. 

One of the sounds was made by hitting a metal hammer against a huge steel cable or guide wire used to help stabilize a big transmitting tower.  The sound of the hit and the sound waves running through this massive, thick steel cable, was recorded and then manipulated a little bit to end up as like the sound of a light saber moving or something like that.

It's all really cool stuff.

1 hour ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

http://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/03/obituaries/douglas-grindstaff-star-trek-sound-whiz-dies-at-87.html

Phasers, photon torpedoes, transporter, red alert, tribbles, etc. - all him.

Dallas:  I just noticed you have a +183 which seems really low for all that you do for this forum and given the abundance of quality threads you create. 

Doesn't seem right.  I'm going to start giving you a "thanks" or a "like"!  

2 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Another part of my youth gone.  Along with Matt Jeffries' set designs I spent a few rainy Saturdays imagining I was onboard the Enterprise.  We had a steep staircase between the floors and I always thought it made the perfect Jeffries' Tube (the tube Scotty crawled in to make vital repairs often while the ship was under attack).

You know some day, 100 years from now, when space travel is more common and we have larger ships that need dedicated maintenance access, they're still going to call those access-ways "Jefferies Tubes."

24 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

The music in this scene is fantastic.

Now I want to go watch a Star Trek marathon.  The old show of course.

the first and third seasons, for their own reasons....

7 hours ago, DC Tom said:

You know some day, 100 years from now, when space travel is more common and we have larger ships that need dedicated maintenance access, they're still going to call those access-ways "Jefferies Tubes."

The man that designed the first flip phone stated he go the idea from Star Trek.

There is an episode where Spock is putting data  "disks" into the computer.  They were plastic and brightly colored and the same size as he hard plastic floppies in use  in 80s-90s. Probably the design was also based on Trek.