I'm sure this will happen to all of us in 20+ years

21 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

It sounds funny at first, but consider most of the really famous, top acts in rock 'n roll are in fact elderly themselves.

Paul McCartney: 76

Eric Clapton: 73

Sting: 66

Elton John: 71

Steven Tyler: 70

Eddie Van Halen: 63

Mick Jagger: 75

Roger Daltrey: 74

Pete Townshend: 73

Etc.

Yeah. But Paul McCartney would be a nobody recording in his parents basement still if Kanye West didn't discover him a few years ago.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

30 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Dude not funny, I thought they want down in a plane crash.

Sorry about that, I just copy/pasted the url from the article and didn't closely read the hyperlink text itself; I can see why you thought that!

Edited by Jon in Pasadena
  • Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Those guys haven't been "top acts" in 20 years.

Not true.  Everyone on that list has had very successful tours in the past decade; multiple years over the past decade, in fact.

The Stones are #3 so far in 2018 for highest grossing tours.  Eagles, Roger Waters and U2 are all in the top 10, as well.

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Yeah. But Paul McCartney would be a nobody recording in his parents basement still if Kanye West didn't discover him a few years ago.

He owns the rights to Happy Birthday, must have done something good before Kanye

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Not true.  Everyone on that list has had very successful tours in the past decade; multiple years over the past decade, in fact.

The Stones are #3 so far in 2018 for highest grossing tours.  Eagles, Roger Waters and U2 are all in the top 10, as well.

Still producing groundbreaking music then?

or playing old tunes for over-ripe baby boomers?

Edited by joesixpack

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

Still producing groubdbreaking music then?

or playing old tunes for over-ripe baby boomers?

When you said, "top act," I thought you meant live performances.

Albums don't make bands money; tours do.  And those old-timers are still selling out 20,000 venues.

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

When you said, "top act," I thought you meant live performances.

Albums don't make bands money; tours do.  And those old-timers are still selling out 20,000 venues.

That may be true, but most of those bands are seen for novelty of a sort.

Probably the oldest musician I ever went to see was Ozzy, and it was pretty sad.

Also, never understood the love for U2. Easily one of the most over-rated bands of my childhood.

11 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Probably the oldest musician I ever went to see was Ozzy, and it was pretty sad.

Also, never understood the love for U2. Easily one of the most over-rated bands of my childhood.

sad was Ozzy in the 1970s, they had to can him

Just now, joesixpack said:

Last time I saw Ozzy was 1993.  U2 hasn't made a good album since Joshua Tree in 1987, in my opinion.  I was a big fan up to that point and I'd never pay to see them now.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Last time I saw Ozzy was 1993.  U2 hasn't made a good album since Joshua Tree in 1987, in my opinion.  I was a big fan up to that point and I'd never pay to see them now.

I saw ozzy with black sabbath and pantera back in the late 90s/early aughts. (fuzzy memories, thanks alcohol)

Pantera was fantastic. Sabbath...enh. Seeing Ozzy hobble around stage was just not right.

Edited by joesixpack

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

I saw ozzy with black sabbath and pantera back in the late 90s/early aughts. (fuzzy memories, thanks alcohol)

Pantera was fantastic. Sabbath...enh. Seeing Ozzy hobble around stage was just not right.

First time I saw Ozzy was the Ultimate Sin tour in 1986 (White Lion and Vixen opening).  Those were the days he was wearing robes onstage because of the weight he'd gained.  In 1993 (No More Tours), he was in better shape and had Alice in Chains (and Sepultura) opening for him.

42 minutes ago, row_33 said:

He owns the rights to Happy Birthday, must have done something good before Kanye

He was in some other band. With the guy from Shining Time Station on drums. They were a Monkees knockoff. I think @Gugny knows. Also, the Happy Birthday thing is a myth. But he owns a ton of other music, including Buddy Holly's entire catalog. 

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

48 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

He was in some other band. With the guy from Shining Time Station on drums. They were a Monkees knockoff. I think @Gugny knows. Also, the Happy Birthday thing is a myth. But he owns a ton of other music, including Buddy Holly's entire catalog. 

Getting a myth established is more boss than a great fact

19 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Right, like Paul McCartney being asked to do the closing ceremony at the London Olympics a few years ago.  Not that big a gig.

Or The Who doing the Superbowl halftime show a few years ago.  Probably not much of a TV audience for that.

Hey stop using facts .... you ruin the fun .... c’mon ....

On 8/7/2018 at 12:19 PM, joesixpack said:

I went to see Jorma Kaukonen and Jack Casady a few years back and they were !@#$ing awesome. I slipped my business card to their manager after the show and they let me come backstage and bull **** with them for a while. Super nice guys and phenomenal musicians.

Edited by Jon in Pasadena
  • Thank you (+1) 1