Harry Jacobs miked up 1964

4 minutes ago, Capco said:

So it was probably transmitted via radio waves to a recording device?

Use of on-field wireless microphones one of many NFL Films innovations

NFL Films lays claim to have been the first company of its kind to put wireless microphones on-field personnel, including players and coaches. The first coach to wear a wireless mic, per NFL Films, was Philadelphia’s Joe Kuharich in 1965 or 1966. The first player to don a wireless mic was Pittsburgh linebacker Bill Saul in 1967, the company said.

• Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This is before my time so I never knew why they traded Lamonica.

Why did they trade him?  Was he wanting out of Buffalo or something?

There are two theories.

1) DL was banging Ralph Wilson's wife or Jack Kemps, i cant recall which one it was.

2) The AFL was failing and the Raiders were about to go under, had a terrible team, Ralph secretly lent them money as part owner to keep them alive (against league rules) and traded Lamonica to get some Raider fans excited about the team and that is  one theory on how Raider Nation was born.

Whichever reason it was it very likely saved the AFL and need to give credit to Ralph.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

There are two theories.

1) DL was banging Ralph Wilson's wife or Jack Kemps, i cant recall which one it was.

2) The AFL was failing and the Raiders were about to go under, had a terrible team, Ralph secretly lent them money as part owner to keep them alive (against league rules) and traded Lamonica to get some Raider fans excited about the team and that is  one theory on how Raider Nation was born.

Whichever reason it was it very likely saved the AFL and need to give credit to Ralph.

Reason 2 is completely false.  The Raider bailout was financial and completed years before the trade. 

The Bills without Saban watching the store we’re complete idiots.  The Raiders were coming off back to back 8 win seasons and Tom Flores, their qb, made the Pro Bowl as did his favorite target, Art Powell.  The Bills thought they were getting Kemp’s replacement when in fact he was already on the roster.  

Lamonica bailed kemp out several times and would have beaten him out if given a chance.  Al Davis was a real football guy and he knew talent better than Ralph ever dreamed.  It looked like we got the better of the deal on paper but we got fleeced.  Flores was mediocre and always hurt, Powell was washed up too. 

Ralph was mad at Al for years.  In fact, Al tried to trade for the rights to Jim Kelly when Kelly went to the USFL.  Ralph joked that would not deal with Al ever again, but he meant it.  

8 hours ago, RevWarRifleman said:

The Bills D in 64-65 reminds me of the Steel Curtain era. So many times I remember those Bills that as soon as the ball was snapped, they were already pushing O line

guys back into the backfield and the pocket was collapsing.  They just flat out got after people!

IIRC, the D held opponents rushing TDS at one time to 0-17! 17 straight games without a rushing TD. Phenomenal!

On 8/6/2018 at 5:52 PM, Chandler#81 said:

Went on to a fine career and an inspirational speaker.

On 8/6/2018 at 6:31 PM, Toledo Bill said:

Met him at a church function when I was pretty young. I remember his discussing how he had to work an additional job (along with being a Bill)

On 8/6/2018 at 8:13 PM, Bob in STL said:

Lots of players in the 60’s worked two jobs.

LAMP I met him on an airplane when he was sitting in the seat next to me going from Buffalo to Charlotte. I even got to sit with him at the Charlotte Airport while we were waiting for our connecting flights. This was somewhere around 2003-2005. He started talking to me when he saw the Bills polo shirt that I was wearing. Mostly we talked about family and finances, if you could believe it. As I found out out later on he is a devout Christian and his company does a lot of "life planning" so that people can properly set themselves up financially for retirement.

Here is is today:

http://consultingtjt.com/our-team/

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RevWarRifleman said:

Phenomenal is right. Good stat! Where did you get that from, and help me out, what does IIRC stand for?

I didn’t recall correctly. It was EIGHTEEN straight games without a rushing TD. (near the end vs Pats* -dammit!)

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly.

I’m old. Recall fails me from time to time..

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I didn’t recall correctly. It was EIGHTEEN straight games without a rushing TD. (near the end vs Pats* -dammit!)

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly.

I’m old. Recall fails me from time to time..

Thanks Chandler. Outstanding research.  We (all Bills fans) must not forget, nor ignore the AFL Bills. They started it all, they were relevant then and still should be

today & in the future.  Go Bills, old school and new school.

• Thank you (+1) 1