What neighborhood do you live in?

Crazy.

I love maps and Google Maps is my favorite app. It's a great tool for exploration.

I guess I'm a little surprised at the lack of regulations for naming a place in Google Maps. At the same time, it needs to remain flexible to account for geographic changes, which happen so often. Places don't stay the same.

There may need to be stricter rules in place for using Google Maps as an official reference.

8 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Crazy.

I love maps and Google Maps is my favorite app. It's a great tool for exploration.

I guess I'm a little surprised at the lack of regulations for naming a place in Google Maps. At the same time, it needs to remain flexible to account for geographic changes, which happen so often. Places don't stay the same.

There may need to be stricter rules in place for using Google Maps as an official reference.

And who is going to enforce those rules?  Most place names, like neighborhoods caught on by word of mouth.  Probably why there are so many mistakes when Google attempts to pin them down.

Just saying.  It is very much cultural, and nobody is really going to do a great job getting it totally right.  I think that Detroit neighborhood they mentioned is a classic example.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

And who is going to enforce those rules?  Most place names, like neighborhoods caught on by word of mouth.  Probably why there are so many mistakes when Google attempts to pin them down.

Just saying.  It is very much cultural, and nobody is really going to do a great job getting it totally right.  I think that Detroit neighborhood they mentioned is a classic example.

Names of places should be aligned with official records until those are officially changed. Mispronunciations and typos, like that Detroit example, are easily fixable.

On the other hand, a non-profit "rebranding" an area and then using Google Maps to mainstream it, is very shady. I don't like that at all. Especially if that rebranding has not caught on through the local culture.

• Like (+1) 1

Who in the hell wants to live in a neighborhood... get 5 or more acres somewhere/anywheres and do your thing. The little stucco houses thing is a real drag down. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/5/2018 at 3:50 PM, T&C said:

Who in the hell wants to live in a neighborhood... get 5 or more acres somewhere/anywheres and do your thing. The little stucco houses thing is a real drag down. 

And who the hell wants to live with the smell of cow **** in the air?  To each his own.  

5 acres would be fantastic.   I would kill for some land.  

Actually we're considering moving in a couple years when my son graduates hs.   Wife wants to be closer to the daughter and the FSIL.    

Found a place near south FL that is pretty perfect.   1 acre lots, not far from boat ramps.   We'll see.  But after 15 years in an HOA I'll never consider one again.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/5/2018 at 6:50 PM, T&C said:

I'm with this guy, though 10 acres is my minimum

30 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

And who the hell wants to live with the smell of cow **** in the air?  To each his own.  

Who in the hell brought up cows or cow ****? 

Meat goats are the way to go, and they clean up that 5+ acres for free.

23 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

5 acres would be fantastic.   I would kill for some land.  

Actually we're considering moving in a couple years when my son graduates hs.   Wife wants to be closer to the daughter and the FSIL.    

Found a place near south FL that is pretty perfect.   1 acre lots, not far from boat ramps.   We'll see.  But after 15 years in an HOA I'll never consider one again.  

I honestly don't know how you made it that long with the binocular people and the St. Augustine grass requirements (which is a MAJOR scam by developers and HOA because it requires so much water and care) and all of the other bull **** that goes on, I get bombarded by it every day at work.

I've been posting with you for a long time and to move to south Florida seems like you are moving the Wrong way, you need to move more North. Plus, the !@#$ing hurricanes are another reason, especially down there. I can't wait to get the !@#$ out of WCF... and Florida in general.

12 minutes ago, T&C said:

I honestly don't know how you made it that long with the binocular people and the St. Augustine grass requirements (which is a MAJOR scam by developers and HOA because it requires so much water and care) and all of the other bull **** that goes on, I get bombarded by it every day at work.

I've been posting with you for a long time and to move to south Florida seems like you are moving the Wrong way, you need to move more North. Plus, the !@#$ing hurricanes are another reason, especially down there. I can't wait to get the !@#$ out of WCF... and Florida in general.

I know, and on the Florida Sportsman forums i go to they are laughing at me too for moving back down to that absolute hell.  But the daughter and FSIL both have pretty good career prospects and of course the wife wants to be closer.  I was internet scouting and Loxahatchee looks pretty passable.   1 acre lots, no HOA, room for the boat (it's in a storage facility now and i hate that, more motors get stolen from those places than anywhere else).   

The current HOA sucks.  We have bahia so no grass issues, not that I would water anyway.   But I had a collapsible basketball goal a few years ago and left it by the road and the HOA had kittens.  Challenge accepted.    Then they send you a notice every once in a while "you need to keep your garbage bin inside your garage"....Yea and you can go eff yourself kindly.   If they had trash pickup twice a week, maybe MAYBE.  But this once a week crap where the neighbors on the other side of the street get it Tuesday/Friday is total BS.    I have no idea what our HOA does other than hassle me

One guy called the police because I parked the boat/truck in the driveway and blocked the sidewalk.  So I got a ticket from the PD who didn't bother to knock on my door and say "hey mind moving the truck so people can walk the sidewalk?" which I would have been more than happy to do, i was in the house literally 30 minutes and  I come out to a $45 driving award??!!!!  So after I stopped the blackout rage I did get it thrown out.    

Never again.   

1 hour ago, Soda Popinski said:

I know, and on the Florida Sportsman forums i go to they are laughing at me too for moving back down to that absolute hell.  But the daughter and FSIL both have pretty good career prospects and of course the wife wants to be closer.  I was internet scouting and Loxahatchee looks pretty passable.   1 acre lots, no HOA, room for the boat (it's in a storage facility now and i hate that, more motors get stolen from those places than anywhere else).   

The current HOA sucks.  We have bahia so no grass issues, not that I would water anyway.   But I had a collapsible basketball goal a few years ago and left it by the road and the HOA had kittens.  Challenge accepted.    Then they send you a notice every once in a while "you need to keep your garbage bin inside your garage"....Yea and you can go eff yourself kindly.   If they had trash pickup twice a week, maybe MAYBE.  But this once a week crap where the neighbors on the other side of the street get it Tuesday/Friday is total BS.    I have no idea what our HOA does other than hassle me

One guy called the police because I parked the boat/truck in the driveway and blocked the sidewalk.  So I got a ticket from the PD who didn't bother to knock on my door and say "hey mind moving the truck so people can walk the sidewalk?" which I would have been more than happy to do, i was in the house literally 30 minutes and  I come out to a $45 driving award??!!!!  So after I stopped the blackout rage I did get it thrown out.    

Never again.   

No offense, and I don't think you would take it that way... but your wife sounds clingy with the kids... on the other hand, if they take after you they would be more adventurous and would want a neat place to "get out of dodge" every once in awhile... aka the place more north and out of !@#$ing Florida. 

Btw, ten seconds after I posted above this post the power went out for an hour... **** is moving west now.

14 hours ago, T&C said:

No offense, and I don't think you would take it that way... but your wife sounds clingy with the kids... on the other hand, if they take after you they would be more adventurous and would want a neat place to "get out of dodge" every once in awhile... aka the place more north and out of !@#$ing Florida. 

Btw, ten seconds after I posted above this post the power went out for an hour... **** is moving west now.

na, none take, the problem isn't really the wife, it's both of them.   Our daughter wants us to come down all the time.  I thought when she moved out to go to college she'd make new friends and all that but she really just enjoys spending time with us.   I think if we don't move down, she may move back.   They have a strong bond.   

Me, i'm just happy if i can sneak off to catch fish.   And i'll be happier the closer we get to salt water boat ramps regardless.  I wanted to move west because I catch a lot of fish in the Tampa Bay area. 

It will suck if the boy goes off to college and I don't have a hunting and fishing partner anymore but i'm sure I'll find someone to wet a line with.   

Edited by Soda Popinski