On second thought,

That is taking too big of a chance.

The Raiders slapped the tag on Woodson, and he couldn't sign it fast enough. He will now be gauranteed 10 mil this season and become a ufa all over again in 06.

Imo, if Nate is not extended this season, he is gone.

278929[/snapback]

There is no way that 10 million is the average salary of the top 5 corners in the league. Woodson must have had some extra money due him in some fashion. I would think that Clements would cost around 5-6 million to keep him an extra year.

TD's MO. If he costs too much, let him go.

279258[/snapback]

If that is his MO it does not explain:

1. The huge overpayment he made to Bledsoe because clearly his play level in 2003 did not merit the large deal he was given and the fact we had to cut him shows he was overpaid.

2. The huge payment he made for Milloy. I would not call this an overpaymentbecause the market dictated his price as the vailable supply of quality safeties was exactly 1 at that point within a week of the season's start and the demand was at least two teams with the need and the cap room (the Bills and the Bears) and TD made the huge payment to him because the GW/Gray misassessment of Jenkins and the retirement of Cota and Battles made it necessary to pay a huge amount for Milloy or let him go and TD proved willing to pay a hyge amount.

3. The overpayment to Ruian Lindell who is better than many folks give him credit for but has not earned the 1st tier kicker salary he gets based on kicks like his horrible shank in the Pitts game.

4. Some very good contract extensions involving large (though probably brlow market due to good negotiation) payments to Moorman and Schobel.

Players like Mike Williams and Eric Moulds have gotten huge contracts and needed restructuring because their contracts were so large and TD negotiated and signed those deals.

In my view he quite correctly did not overpay Jenings and unfortunately (and he publicly laments) he did not get the deal done with PW but overpaying for a player of his age should not be done either.

The concept that TD does not overpay or does not give huge contracts in all cases simply does not fit reality.

There is no way that 10 million is the average salary of the top 5 corners in the league. Woodson must have had some extra money due him in some fashion. I would think that Clements would cost around 5-6 million to keep him an extra year.

278994[/snapback]

The current franchise tender for cornerbacks is $8.816 million. Woodson was franchised last season as well, so he got an additional 20% for that.

Cornerbacks have the highest tag in the league by over $800K per season. Punters/Kickers have the lowest.