On second thought,

The more I think about it, the more I think it's unlikely we'll re-up Clements. First of all, due to the new illegal contact rules cornerbacks are de facto less valuable than they were two seasons ago. Although that fact hasn't caught on to every team leaguewide, the smart GMs (Belicheck, Banner/Reid) appear to have gotten it. It simply doesn't make sense to pay a cover corner an exorbinant amount of money when the rules put him at a disadvantage relative to other positions.

Second, Nate's gonna demand huge coin, and while we may not be in cap trouble per se, it's clear that resigning him at the price he'll demand will make it more difficult to upgrade in other areas (o-line, TE), and maintain consistency at other key positions (DE, LB).

Finally, this draft is deep with quality young corners - I expect the Bills to grab at least two (including undrafted FAs).

Seems to me to be the smart play.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's unlikely we'll re-up Clements.  First of all, due to the new illegal contact rules cornerbacks are de facto less valuable than they were two seasons ago.  Although that fact hasn't caught on to every team leaguewide, the smart GMs (Belicheck, Banner/Reid) appear to have gotten it.  It simply doesn't make sense to pay a cover corner an exorbinant amount of money when the rules put him at a disadvantage relative to other positions.

Second, Nate's gonna demand huge coin, and while we may not be in cap trouble per se, it's clear that resigning him at the price he'll demand will make it more difficult to upgrade in other areas (o-line, TE), and maintain consistency at other key positions (DE, LB).

Finally, this draft is deep with quality young corners - I expect the Bills to grab at least two (including undrafted FAs). 

Seems to me to be the smart play.

277668[/snapback]

Unfortunately, I think you're right! The one thing I remember thinking back when TD was GM of the Steelers was, how do they "clean house" of all their key players... Greene, Kirkland, Searcy, etc. and still consistently compete? I think the answer all along was that they drafted very well! We're starting to see that now with Evans, McGahee, and hopefully Losman. :w00t:

It simply doesn't make sense to pay a cover corner an exorbinant amount of money when the rules put him at a disadvantage relative to other positions.

277668[/snapback]

This is a point I was going to make in the last NC thread but didn't get to. The Rules Committee is going to continue to disallow everything but running alongside the WR, maybe with a 5-yard buffer, to get scoring up.

Why invest heavily in an area where the impact won't be as great?

Sad but true, Nate isn't worth $10+M/year on the cap.

Although that fact hasn't caught on to every team leaguewide, the smart GMs (Belicheck, Banner/Reid) appear to have gotten it. 

277668[/snapback]

how come they handed out huge contract extensions to lito sheppard and sheldon brown last year if they "get it"?

how come they handed out huge contract extensions to lito sheppard and sheldon brown last year if they "get it"?

277690[/snapback]

sheppard -- 25M over 5 years with 9M to sign

brown -- 30M over 6 years with 7.5M to sign

I have a question: About this time last year, after seeing Grant Winstrom's obscence contract he got from Seattle, wasn't there a thought that NO way the Bills would extend Schobel either? I know its not a perfect comparison, but I just think its too early to tell to predict if the Bills will extend Clements.

This has never made sense to me, so maybe someone can she some light...

Why do we say the 5-yard chuck rule lessens the value of a corners? I've read that a number of times lately. Why not look at it not as something that deflates a player's value, but as a chance for the individual player to be creative...reinvent...try something new...by maximizing what you CAN do within those five yards.

Look at DEs. Over time they moved away from bullrushing (though not particularly because of a rule change) and got creative with their hands and their bodies to put moves on their opponents -- swim moves, spin moves -- to make them better at their position.

The rule change suddenly puts virtually all cornerbacks on a level playing field with one fell swoop. Why not take the opportunity to get creative, find a way to be better than the other guys by working on ways to be better within five yards, and thereby increasing your value?

I disagree, Clements is Donahoe's first child. The successful first pick he ever made. I think Winfield was let go with the Anticipation that Nate is their Franchise Corner. they will find a way to get him to stick around. I'd much rather replace Mike Williams at right tackle with a cheaper player than 9 mill/yr, and allocate that money to Nate. Just my opinion... I'd bet that nate doesn't walk

Look at DEs. Over time they moved away from bullrushing (though not particularly because of a rule change) and got creative with their hands and their bodies to put moves on their opponents -- swim moves, spin moves -- to make them better at their position.

277948[/snapback]

Fondly remembering the days of Rich Jackson and Joe Greene, when the head slap was legal... :doh:

What we really need to do is make sure we have enough cap room to make him a franchise player and get something out of him. A 1st or 2nd rnd pick for him would be worth it.

Personally, I would rather resign him, but we need to get whatever out of him that we can...

I think the 5 yard rule actually demands more out of a cornerback. They have to be faster, stronger and smarter because of the rule. I think this will put MORE of a premium on really good or great cover corners. The rule is a distinct disadvantage for corners, so the better ones will now stand out even more.

What we really need to do is make sure we have enough cap room to make him a franchise player and get something out of him.  A 1st or 2nd rnd pick for him would be worth it.

Personally, I would rather resign him, but we need to get whatever out of him that we can...

278051[/snapback]

Or making him the franchise player and keeping him for that extra season. This makes more sense if a team is a serious contender which the Bills will no doubt be by 2006.

I think the 5 yard rule actually demands more out of a cornerback. They have to be faster, stronger and smarter because of the rule. I think this will put MORE of a premium on really good or great cover corners. The rule is a distinct disadvantage for corners, so the better ones will now stand out even more.

278256[/snapback]

Thank you. Exactly!

I really have to disagree and think that TD is being cheap this year because he knows it is a transition year with not a lot of upper FA talent available....

But I say that TD shells out for Nate and here is why.....

What you say about the rules is true and that means now MORE THEN EVER it will be imperative to have big physical corners who can hurrass wideouts in the first 5 yards and off the line of scrimmage.......

Nate needs to be resigned.....

Or making him the franchise player and keeping him for that extra season. This makes more sense if a team is a serious contender which the Bills will no doubt be by 2006.

278319[/snapback]

That is taking too big of a chance.

The Raiders slapped the tag on Woodson, and he couldn't sign it fast enough. He will now be gauranteed 10 mil this season and become a ufa all over again in 06.

Imo, if Nate is not extended this season, he is gone.