Earliest TV shows/specials you remember watching

Another Fan

On 7/30/2018 at 2:09 PM, Fadingpain said:

Maybe not the oldest or first thing I remember watching on TV, but...

Who remembers "Mr. Dressup" on Canadian TV?

Back in the day, we Buffalonians were lucky to not only have the standard 3 big network channels, PBS, and Channel 29 (making a whopping 5 in total) but also, as I remember it, CHCH Chanel 11 from Hamilton, CFTO Chanel 9 from Toronto, and CBLT Channel 5, the Toronto arm of the CBC.

I have very clear memories of watching kids' stuff on Canadian TV as a kid in the '70s, but not really grasping that I was watching stuff from a foreign country.  I remember watching news and seeing weather with celsius references and what not...I knew something odd was afoot, but I was not quite sure what.

Good times.

gjv9unz3___Gallery.jpg

absolutely remember that show, and Davey and Goliath...and hating the (bad word) out of both of them.

Now, the show we loved as early kids..maybe in 69 or 70...was Ultra Man. Had to watch on the little black and white in parents room, as living room had the Big black and white, but it only got VHF, and UltraMan was on 29.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x7_DBzBetM

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

absolutely remember that show, and Davey and Goliath...and hating the (bad word) out of both of them.

Now, the show we loved as early kids..maybe in 69 or 70...was Ultra Man. Had to watch on the little black and white in parents room, as living room had the Big black and white, but it only got VHF, and UltraMan was on 29.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x7_DBzBetM

+1.  I am a few years younger, but remember UltraMan on 29 right about the time I started Kindergarten... 1973.

Wouldn't he reach for that baton or something... At his most vulnerable moment, raise it above his head w/both hands and shout: "I am UltraMan!"

Straight out of Japan, right?

Japanimation... Just like Godzilla, and other crazy cool Japanese stuff like Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.  Boy did the Japanese have the "special effects" (rudimentary, but only effects in town) cornered back in the day!

On 7/30/2018 at 2:44 PM, Paulus said:

The two bigger things I member. Not specials directly, but people certainly made specials out of the events.

You're young enough to be my kid. I was 30 when the challenger happened and 32when the Berlin wall fe

On 7/31/2018 at 9:21 AM, row_33 said:

Edited by Wacka

5 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

The first time I had ever seen Davey and Goliath was a video clip on the Internet.  But although I hadn't seen the show I was aware of it from this MadTV skit

• Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

The first time I had ever seen Davey and Goliath was a video clip on the Internet.  But although I hadn't seen the show I was aware of it from this MadTV skit

Used to watch it all the time as a kid.  It was on Sunday mornings, not Saturday mornings.

It's Christian propaganda directed at kids.  I was too little to realize it at the time.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/30/2018 at 10:49 PM, Augie said:

Oh, Colombo and Banacek came a bit later, I think, but that was must see TV for me. 

I remember my grandmother taking me to her friends house one weekend. They dragged me off to plunk in front of a TV to watch the Banana Spilts. Win/Win. Yay! 

It was Columbo and Kolchak the Night Stalker, THEN they showed the tape delayed NBA Finals game at 1am in Buffalo

Up to around 1983 you couldn’t see the Finals live except on weekend afternoon

CFTO in Toronto gave us bad cartoons like World of Oz, Adventures of Pinocchio and Professor Kitzel

Uncle Bobby was cool, the parrot was trained to say “!@#$ the CBC” during commercial breaks

Edited by row_33

24 minutes ago, Nervous Guy said:

Who can name this cartoon?  Used to be one of my favorites...only lasted one season, but I loved it.  I saw there were remakes decades later, the original was in 1964.

image.png

Isn't that "Johnny Quest?"

27 minutes ago, Nervous Guy said:

Yep.  I thought it was the best ever!!!  1964-65...I was 5, and still remember how cool it was.

Race Bannon is a two handed flyer.

No seat belts, and notice Bandit on Hadji's lap.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nervous Guy said:

Yep.  I thought it was the best ever!!!  1964-65...I was 5, and still remember how cool it was.

I hated all the half-hour cartoons like that..never watched any of them. I only wanted Looney Tunes. Saturdays to me where Looney Tunes then WRasslin!!