Earliest TV shows/specials you remember watching

Another Fan

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Maybe not the oldest or first thing I remember watching on TV, but...

Who remembers "Mr. Dressup" on Canadian TV?

Back in the day, we Buffalonians were lucky to not only have the standard 3 big network channels, PBS, and Channel 29 (making a whopping 5 in total) but also, as I remember it, CHCH Chanel 11 from Hamilton, CFTO Chanel 9 from Toronto, and CBLT Channel 5, the Toronto arm of the CBC.

I have very clear memories of watching kids' stuff on Canadian TV as a kid in the '70s, but not really grasping that I was watching stuff from a foreign country.  I remember watching news and seeing weather with celsius references and what not...I knew something odd was afoot, but I was not quite sure what.

Good times.

gjv9unz3___Gallery.jpg

Left to right:  Mr. Dressup, Casey, Finegan.

When my son was young (about 1990), these three were touring Ontario.  I took my son to see them at Lockview High School in Port Colborne.  (Now Lakeshore Catholic High School.)

• Like (+1) 1

I remember Romper Room. It came on after Captain Kangaroo. 

I also remember Freddie Freihofer. 

“Who wants to squiggle?”  When the cookies would come down the chute, “Oatmeal cookies! The big ones!”

My older brothers and sister used to talk about staying up to see High Flight. I remember only seeing it once.

I also remember seeing The Beatles on Ed Sullivan. The first time, when it was live.  After that they were mostly taped. 

Land of the Lost was one of my absolute favorite Saturday morning shows as a kid. 

The sleestaks scared the hell out of me!  

And for God's sake, how is it possible that I don't remember this blonde!?  Holy sh......

1088914388.jpg

Edited by Fadingpain

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Ponderosa

Reminds me of a restaurant I used to go to as a kid but haven't seen one in years.  So I Googled Ponderosa restaurants and looks like they're still around but not as big as they used to be

10 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

Same here...I was in kindergarten, Catholic school, when they announced it over the loudspeaker.  Nuns walking down the hall crying.

The weekend, we were all glued to the TV.

Some favorite shows of the era: Daniel Boone, Combat, Munsters.

Two classics, both with outstanding theme songs.

I remember seeing something on the news before school (maybe 3rd grade?) that Bobby Kennedy was shot. I remember yelling upstairs to tell my mom. We were in a different house than the JFK funeral. I remember being in school when they announced he had died. I preferred Beverly Hillbilly’s and Gillian’s Island episodes to the whole dead people memories. 

I watched Combat with my parents. That and Hogans Hero’s, which was obviously more light hearted. Both had the war thing going on in the 60’s. 

Oh! And Daniel Boone was a man! Forgot about that! 

Edited by Augie

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Car 54 where are you?

Hawaii 50 

Adam 12

Batman 

Ed Sullivan.  (Mom and pops choice) 

Gunsmoke

The Rifleman

Ponderosa

Them too

If you liked Adam 12,I'll bet you enjoyed Emergency? Columbo was pretty cool too.

20 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

If you liked Adam 12,I'll bet you enjoyed Emergency? Columbo was pretty cool too.

Oh, Colombo and Banacek came a bit later, I think, but that was must see TV for me. 

I remember my grandmother taking me to her friends house one weekend. They dragged me off to plunk in front of a TV to watch the Banana Spilts. Win/Win. Yay! 

19 minutes ago, Augie said:

dragged me off to plunk in front of a TV to watch the Banana Spilts. Win/Win. Yay! 

Not for one second would I believe those writers were not stoned when they came up with the idea to produce that show. Jabber Jaw,The Jetsons,Grape Ape...all on the same level.

Just now, Misterbluesky said:

Not for one second would I believe those writers were not stoned when they came up with the idea to produce that show. Jabber Jaw,The Jetsons,Grape Ape...all on the same level.

Good point! It was 60’s TV at it’s......”60’s-ish”? 

Casper the friendly ghost was kind of cool. Wendy, however, the hot little blond witch in her red cape....at what age should those thoughts appear? 

• Like (+1) 1

I went to see Tommy @ the theaters when it came out.  I was 7.  Sister/Brother were 11/10... Went with our teenage cousin who drove... I had a hard time processing the Tina Turner character (The Acid Queen) till later in life, heck I still might not be able to?

...Wow, probably why I am so messed up.  Would you take a kid to that now? But, it was 1975...Parents did have a clue. Brother was charging kids, having beer blasts in our basement @ 17.

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

Good point! It was 60’s TV at it’s......”60’s-ish”? 

Casper the friendly ghost was kind of cool. Wendy, however, the hot little blond witch in her red cape....at what age should those thoughts appear? 

Captain Kangaroo was a bit "off" too...kind of like DC Tom.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Misterbluesky said:

Captain Kangaroo was a bit "off" too...kind of like DC Tom.

Did he have Mr Green Jeans as his side kick? I’d pay to see them in a cage match against Batman and Robin (the weak link). 

Mike Greenberg could play Robin.  

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Augie said:

Did he have Mr Green Jeans as his side kick? I’d pay to see them in a cage match against Batman and Robin (the weak link). 

Mike Greenberg could play Robin.  

Long time rumors suggest a lot of strange things happened on the set of Batman and Robin....when the film wasn't rolling,of course.

2 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Long time rumors suggest a lot of strange things happened on the set of Batman and Robin....when the film wasn't rolling,of course.

Hogans Heroes had some film rolling on their “off hours”, but it included both genders. 

With that, I shall sign off. 

10 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

the higher level of known drug use was for HR Puff'N'Stuff and LIdsville.

the Krofft brothers were out there....

9 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

all kinds of lifestyle choices from the guest stars were available