Earliest TV shows/specials you remember watching

Another Fan

57 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Sesame Street, Mr Rodgers, Electric Company, and daytime reruns of Gilligans Island

The earliest TV that I remember and can put a date on was the shooting of President Reagan.  And a few years later I remember the Challenger explosion because I was pissed they pre-empted Transformers and GI Joe

I was 8 when MLK was shot, I didn't know who it was & was pissed ABC pre-empted Bewitched.

I remember JFK's assassination too. Channel 7 put a picture of him up right after it happened at 7 PM and played really sad creepy music behind it for a half-hour, gave me nightmares.

Regular TV: Rocketship 7 of course, and the Our Gang/Little Rascals (only they were called the Mischief Makers)

Edited by Rico

Lots of TV I remember , but in terms of “ specials” certainly the 72 Olympics. 

Than the next summer was thw freaking Watergate Hearings all summer. I have no clue what would have been on TV in the afternoon that made me pissed they were on, but certainly something. 

This is also made think I was 9, brother 11, sister 12 in 72. I distinctly remember riding bikes 2 miles in the AM to go to swim practice, riding home making breakfast and watching the Olympics...all the while both parents at work all day, home at 5.45or so. Parents  be in jail for that today! 

Edited by plenzmd1

I used to get up really early and turn the TV on.

First the test pattern, then the Public Service Announcement about the dangers of blasting caps.

I used to think they must be laying around everywhere.

Eventually, the cartoons started, but I worried about blasting caps for years.

The first really serious thing I watched was Cuban Missile Crisis coverage with my father.

12 hours ago, Augie said:

The JFK funeral. Horses pulling him down the road. My sister was in the basement playing with a friend. I was annoying them and forced to go upstairs with my parents....and watch history. 

Same here...I was in kindergarten, Catholic school, when they announced it over the loudspeaker.  Nuns walking down the hall crying.

The weekend, we were all glued to the TV.

Some favorite shows of the era: Daniel Boone, Combat, Munsters.

23 minutes ago, Nervous Guy said:

Combat and 12 O'Clock High.

Two classics, both with outstanding theme songs.

Watching network reruns of 'I Love Lucy' on CBS morning television (ch. 4) before heading off to afternoon kindergarten in Buffalo., circa 62-63.  I wasn't too keen on school, but my mother soon clued into the fact hiding between the sofa back and living room wall was my 'go to' spot.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Figured out the years.

6 hours ago, Greybeard said:

You forgot Princess SummerFallWinderSpring.   I had the hots for her.   

The earliest show I can remember was Romper Room.  They had a nice looking lady hosting that show, at least that is what I remember.  

OK, my apologies to the Princess.  Never watched Romper room but do remember Miss Pat.

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Watching network reruns of 'I Love Lucy' on CBS morning television (ch. 4) before heading off to afternoon kindergarten in Buffalo., circa 62-63.  I wasn't too keen on school, but my mother soon clued into the fact hiding between the sofa back and living room wall was my 'go to' spot.

Little known fact: Lucy and Desi, with "I Love Lucy," invented the rerun.

8 hours ago, Greybeard said:

You forgot Princess SummerFallWinderSpring.   I had the hots for her.   

The earliest show I can remember was Romper Room.  They had a nice looking lady hosting that show, at least that is what I remember.  

Just remembered; Chief Thunderthud, the originator of "cowabunga!"

They also had "old time movies."  They were old silent movies.  Used to be movies with the "Tons of fun."  3 fat guys named Vic, Clint & Bullet.  They were funny, in an old kind of way.

47 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

The earliest shows I watched that I can remember were mostly cartoons.

My earliest recollection would be re-runs of The Banana Splits show.

Danger Island was scary on the Banana Splits show

• Like (+1) 1

I also remember waking up some mornings and the Flintstones were on the Spanish channel. Had no idea what they were saying, but I watched anyway. 

3 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

Same here...I was in kindergarten, Catholic school, when they announced it over the loudspeaker.  Nuns walking down the hall crying.

The weekend, we were all glued to the TV.

Some favorite shows of the era: Daniel Boone, Combat, Munsters.

Two classics, both with outstanding theme songs.

My dad  tells me that was the worst weekend of his life because nothing was on TV.

37 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Ye gods...as a jaded teen, I remember my younger siblings watching them in 'first run'.  I am old! ?

After seeing this intro, and with me living in California, I used to think that the Banana Splits gang lived in San Francisco, with those shots of them on the trolley and the Golden Gate.

Maybe not the oldest or first thing I remember watching on TV, but...

Who remembers "Mr. Dressup" on Canadian TV?

Back in the day, we Buffalonians were lucky to not only have the standard 3 big network channels, PBS, and Channel 29 (making a whopping 5 in total) but also, as I remember it, CHCH Chanel 11 from Hamilton, CFTO Chanel 9 from Toronto, and CBLT Channel 5, the Toronto arm of the CBC.

I have very clear memories of watching kids' stuff on Canadian TV as a kid in the '70s, but not really grasping that I was watching stuff from a foreign country.  I remember watching news and seeing weather with celsius references and what not...I knew something odd was afoot, but I was not quite sure what.

Good times.

gjv9unz3___Gallery.jpg