Earliest TV shows/specials you remember watching

Another Fan

Mark Spitz swimming in the 1972 Olympics... I was 4.  On a 19" B&W Admirmal TV.

I still have full memory of the TV, on it's stand in corner of family room, and shots of the swimming action.

And for Gug:  No they weren't nude.  I was 4.  Didn't know what was ahead @ the Jr. High level... 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

Remember seeing the Leave it to Beaver episode where he got stuck in the giant soup bowl on the billboard (1961). Also I am old enough to remember  the Golden Age of 60s TV in their first run (like  Addams Family, Minsters, Batman, etc )

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 2

Early 1960s Captain Kangaroo

9 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Remember seeing the Leave it to Beaver episode where he got stuck in the giant soup bowl on the billboard (1961). Also I am old enough to remember  the Golden Age of 60s TV in their first run (like  Addams Family, Minsters, Batman, etc )

I remember that one. It was probably a repeat when I saw it. I was only 4 in 1961. 

I vaguely remember watching the Ed Sullivan Show with my parents and older siblings in the late 60s. The first "event" I remember was probably the Apollo 11 Moon landing, but at five, I didn't really grasp the significance of it.

I also remember Laugh In and The Odd Couple in the early 70s.

Edited by WhoTom

The JFK funeral. Horses pulling him down the road. My sister was in the basement playing with a friend. I was annoying them and forced to go upstairs with my parents....and watch history. 

In Germany, TV was not as prevalent as in the US. We did not have a TV until 1968. However, from time to time I watched TV with a classmate who lived in the apartment above ours. My earliest memories: Flipper, dubbed in German; the title song is still recorded in my memory:

"Wir lieben Flipper, Flipper,

Freund aller Kinder,

Grosse nicht minder,

lieben auch ihn,

den klugen Delfin."

Translation:

"We love Flipper, Flipper,

friend of all kids,

but he is also

loved by adults,

the smart dolphin."

I should add that the Germans were/are masters in dubbing. Shows like "Get Smart" or "I Spy" (German title: "Mit Tennisschlaegern und Kanonen", translated "With Tennis Rackets and Guns") are actually often funnier in the German version than in the American/English original. And the German voice of John Wayne, Arnold Marquis, adds a depth to John Wayne's voice that the original lacks.

Kennedy assassination report (November 22, 1963). Was 2 years old and remember people crying and asking "Why"? Was told "a bad man killed the president" and I asked what a president was. Not sure what president was afterwards but sure man who killed him was a bad man.

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Kennedy assassination report (November 22, 1963). Was 2 years old and remember people crying and asking "Why"? Was told "a bad man killed the president" and I asked what a president was. Not sure what president was afterwards but sure man who killed him was a bad man.

...yet we still wonder exactly who that man was...

I was born in 1959, and remember the horse drawn carriage surprisingly clearly. Is it a true memory, or a memory of a feeling/image? I think it’s a memory.  

3 hours ago, Augie said:

The JFK funeral. Horses pulling him down the road. My sister was in the basement playing with a friend. I was annoying them and forced to go upstairs with my parents....and watch history. 

You probably also watched the battle of Gettysburg.   Must have been a B word in standard definition.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

You probably also watched the battle of Gettysburg.   Must have been a B word in standard definition.

WORSE! I could watch, but It was in black and white! And it was on all three channels, so I couldn’t catch any cartoons. (I was young, then.) 

Now, you’re kids will probably remember some formerly athletic dude getting an ESPY because he/she got his stuff snipped off and donned a gown, instead af a HS girl with cancer who played hoops and smiled in a way that lit up the world. 

Hmmm

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Augie said:

WORSE! I could watch, but It was in black and white! And it was on all three channels, so I couldn’t catch any cartoons. (I was young, then.) 

Sit there for hours staring at the buffalo on the test pattern screen, sometimes thinking it moved

It's Howdy Doody Time!"  Buffalo Bob Smith, Clarabell,  Beulah Witch, Flub-a-dub, Dilley Dally....Good times.

In Buffalo, TV didn't start till 5PM.  Used to watch the freakin indian on the test pattern, till Howdy clicked on.  Black & White on a 9" screen.  Now people watch movies on their cell phones.  :doh:

46 minutes ago, Augie said:

...yet we still wonder exactly who that man was...

I was born in 1959, and remember the horse drawn carriage surprisingly clearly. Is it a true memory, or a memory of a feeling/image? I think it’s a memory.  

The odd thing I cannot remember who was crying.  Must have been my mother since I cannot imagine my father crying but I have no memory of my mother alive. My father took the kids away when I was three (I was the oldest) to my grandmother's.  

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Now, you’re kids will probably remember some formerly athletic dude getting an ESPY because he/she got his stuff snipped off and donned a gown, instead af a HS girl with cancer who played hoops and smiled in a way that lit up the world. 

Hmmm

That’s what I remember about John Glenn’s rocket launch. 

3 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

It's Howdy Doody Time!"  Buffalo Bob Smith, Clarabell,  Beulah Witch, Flub-a-dub, Dilley Dally....Good times.

In Buffalo, TV didn't start till 5PM.  Used to watch the freakin indian on the test pattern, till Howdy clicked on.  Black & White on a 9" screen.  Now people watch movies on their cell phones.  :doh:

You forgot Princess SummerFallWinderSpring.   I had the hots for her.   

The earliest show I can remember was Romper Room.  They had a nice looking lady hosting that show, at least that is what I remember.  

Sesame Street, Mr Rodgers, Electric Company, and daytime reruns of Gilligans Island

The earliest TV that I remember and can put a date on was the shooting of President Reagan.  And a few years later I remember the Challenger explosion because I was pissed they pre-empted Transformers and GI Joe