The NFL is considering expanding instant replay

millbank

The NFL is considering expanding instant replay to cover "down by contact" plays that previously were not included in reviews.

Atlanta Falcons general manager Rich McKay, chairman of the league's competition committee, said Wednesday the change will be considered next week in Maui at the annual league meetings.

In the past, replay has not applied to plays ruled dead because an official has blown a whistle calling the runner down.

"Those plays have been misunderstood," he said. "What we're considering would allow for a recovery if replay shows the ball came out before the play was down -- even if the whistle has blown."

Instant Replay

I don't see how that can work. Once the whistle is blown, the play is dead. You tell players to play until the whistle -- so what, now even when the whistle blows players can still knock people around to try gaining possession of the ball? Just doesn't sound right.

I agree with the principle of it, I just don't see how you can implement it.

CW

I think that can only work if the Refs are taught to purposely delay blowing the whistle until they can ascertain that the ball is dead (which requires either seeing it or evidence that it's stationary as are all nearby 'participants').

Although, I personally REALLY get peeved by the way they currently call it, it is for the protection of the players AND most importantly the QB is the one most frequent involved in these type of plays & we all know how the league treats QBs in their pretty Sunday dresses.

From the Cincinnati Enquirer 3/17/05:

"LEAGUE MEETINGS: Lewis and the rest of the Bengals entourage will leave later this week for the NFL Annual Meeting March 20-23 in Maui.

"The only area we're concerned about - the (NFL) Competition Committee already is legislating against the peel-back block," Lewis said.

The Bengals lost former defensive tackle Tony Williams to a peel-back block during the Monday night game Oct. 25 against Denver."

Good.

I don't see how that can work.  Once the whistle is blown, the play is dead.  You tell players to play until the whistle -- so what, now even when the whistle blows players can still knock people around to try gaining possession of the ball?  Just doesn't sound right.

CW

277572[/snapback]

I agree. While I hate this aspect of replay I don't see a workable alternative. Will players hit after the whistle because they 'think' the ball might be out? I wish they could make it work, but I just don't see how this is doable.

I don't see how that can work.  Once the whistle is blown, the play is dead.  You tell players to play until the whistle -- so what, now even when the whistle blows players can still knock people around to try gaining possession of the ball?  Just doesn't sound right.

CW

277572[/snapback]

exactly. if possesion can change after the whisle is blown, than the players will not stop. the refs will loose control.

i hate that "accidental whisle", but there is nothing they can do about it.

I think that can only work if the Refs are taught to purposely delay blowing the whistle until they can ascertain that the ball is dead (which requires either seeing it or evidence that it's stationary as are all nearby 'participants').

277594[/snapback]

You hit it right on the head.

But that doesn't work, for example, when a QB is sacked and fumbles the ball. If the refs think that his arm was going forward, they have to blow the whistle as an incomplete pass, thus killing the play. If they don't do that (and instead assume every time the ball isn't in a player's hands, it could be live), it'd then be legal to plaster the QB (or any player) while going for the ball. It's just not practical.

CW

From the Cincinnati Enquirer 3/17/05:

"LEAGUE MEETINGS: Lewis and the rest of the Bengals entourage will leave later this week for the NFL Annual Meeting March 20-23 in Maui.

"The only area we're concerned about - the (NFL) Competition Committee already is legislating against the peel-back block," Lewis said.

The Bengals lost former defensive tackle Tony Williams to a peel-back block during the Monday night game Oct. 25 against Denver."

Good.

277960[/snapback]

I was watching clips of this block yesterday. In slow motion, it looks a little dirty, but in regular speed it looks like a clean block to me.

I was watching clips of this block yesterday. In slow motion, it looks a little dirty, but in regular speed it looks like a clean block to me.

278050[/snapback]

IIRC, though, it was thought (by the Bengals and the commentators) that it was away from the play and not necessary - perhaps sort of like when Sapp nailed GB's Clifton. And Denver certainly has been guilty of many cheap shots from their OL. Now I certainly don't watch Bronco ball religiously, but I rely on comments I've heard through the years.

What I have been wanting to change in the replay area in regards to the fumble is:

If a fumble is recovered before the whistle sounds, it can change possession. So many times that a ref blows a play dead is the whistle coming a second or two after the "tackle". Allowing the players to recover a loose ball in the split seconds therein would provide for a more accurate call. They cannot be talking about continuing play after a whistle. That would be ridiculous.

For example, Nate Clements tackles David Givens after Givens catches the ball. As Givens is falling to the ground, NC knocks the ball out just before Givens hits the ground. The ball takes a fortuitous bounce off the ground directly into NC's hands as they both land. Unfortunately, the back judge was on the wrong side of the action and raises his whistle and blows the play dead. In 2004, the ball is a catch and stays in possession of the Paytoilets. Our only replay recourse is to review, hoping that there was no possession with a football move to indicate an incomplete pass. Hopefully, in 2005, the replay can look and see that NC stripped the ball and recovered before the 80 year old back judge could get enough wind to blow the whistle.

Really, this is common sense, if the fumble is caused and recovered before the whistle, it is a fumble -- regardless of what the ref was intending by blowing the whistle.

I think that if they are going to have replay they should change it by giving each head coach one challenge per half. If their one challenge is upheld, they get one more. If the second is upheld, they get a third and so on. As soon as the coach misses and his challenge is not upheld, that is his last. I also would permit coach's challenges in the final two minutes, though I wouldn't necessarily eliminate official challenges during the same period.

But that doesn't work, for example, when a QB is sacked and fumbles the ball.  If the refs think that his arm was going forward, they have to blow the whistle as an incomplete pass, thus killing the play.  If they don't do that (and instead assume every time the ball isn't in a player's hands, it could be live), it'd then be legal to plaster the QB (or any player) while going for the ball.  It's just not practical.

CW

278044[/snapback]

I think we're both agruing the same thing. In this case, or in the case of a pass that may or may not have been caught, or 'fumble' that may have occurred after a runner was down, the only course of action to be taken by the Refs that will allow this new implementation to work, is to assume the ball is still live until there is evidence that it's not. In the name of protecting players, particularly QBs, I can't imagine them implementing anything like this that can be truly/completely successful.