New York to kick Spectrum cable out of state

ALF

New York to kick Spectrum cable out of state for 'failures to serve New Yorkers'

ALBANY, New York (WABC) -- New York announced Friday that Charter Communications, Inc., doing business as Spectrum, is no longer permitted to serve customers in the state.

Regulators said that Spectrum, the largest cable provider in New York, failed to comply with several conditions mandated when the state approved Charter's 2016 merger with Time Warner Cable, Inc.

Spectrum reportedly failed to meet deadlines, attempted to skirt obligations to serve rural communities and used unsafe practices in the field.

As a result, the New York State Public Service Commission revoked the approval of the merger.

The cable provider is required to continue operations for 60 more days without interruptions in service, as the state transitions to a successor provider.

http://abc7ny.com/business/ny-to-kick-spectrum-out-of-state-revokes-merger-approval/3834286/

Yikes , I have there cable tv , internet and phone , over 100mps 

Edited by ALF

I hope it’s just grandstanding. I’ve had cable, phone and internet with about four generations of this company.  Nothing is perfect but my service in suburbia has been acceptable. Who will replace them? The new company will inherit the infrastructure.  In order to expand service to remote places and still make a profit, other parts of the business will suffer. The cure is worse than the disease. 

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

don't you believe it. 

'tis nothing more than pomp and circumstance. a ploy to get Spectrum to step up, which they will.

I hope not.  A state pulling the plug on everybody's TV is a shitstorm I wanna see... ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I hope not.  A state pulling the plug on everybody's TV is a shitstorm I wanna see... ?

lol. i cut that cord long ago. i stream everything these days. hell, i don't even pay them for phone anymore, magicJack is a beautiful thing. $35 a year, why would anyone pay them for phone. also, Greenlight Networks is coming online at an expanding rate these days. fiber optics, man, fiber optics.

21 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Verizon has been laying their FIOS backbone in my neighborhood the last few months.  Just waiting for the service to become available

Amen to that.  FIOS is the way to go.

I would like to add that Comcast cable sucks and I hope they go out of business.

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

Amen to that.  FIOS is the way to go.

I would like to add that Comcast cable sucks and I hope they go out of business.

FIOS Is the way to go until frontier buys it from verizon. They have completely destroyed it where we live.

Daily (sometimes hourly) screen freezes if the wind hits 10mph expect outages of both wi-fi and tv. It sucks. Tried going to Spectrum

formerly Brighthouse and come too find they are worse. The whole industry is a scam. The FCC just sits on there hands. 

But complain too the FCC and at least some moron with a degree in HR calls within a day. They never do nothing but at least 

they respond. Our current "executive fixer" well she is hard to take seriously. Her last name is Golightly. 

15 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Verizon has been laying their FIOS backbone in my neighborhood the last few months.  Just waiting for the service to become available

Love FIOS.   My internet is pretty speedy. And the dog like the TV channels.

We had Comcast in Florida. More money, fewer channels, slower internet. It was painful. However, the service people were very nice.

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

NY State politics and governance is stellar with a high reputation for honest and integrity so I side with the state.

Eff these NY idiots and their retarded policies.

Roll them all downhill in a barrel, a crooked idiot will always end up on top.  That goes for the politicians and the cable companies.

Hope it doesn’t happen. I’ve actually been happy with Spectrum. 

My internet speed has went from 20mbps when they first took over, up to 60mbps for free. Then up from 60 to 100mbps for free again. 

They also added more channels to my tv package for free. 

Stuff like that NEVER happened under Time Warner. 

I wish verizon fios would come to my area, but there are no plans of that happening. 

Edited by BillsFan4

The issue is the rural customers, something NYS has a lot of, not being served and agreed to as part of merger.  If you did not want to perform all parts of contract Charter Communications, you should not have agreed to merger.  It is like players signing new contracts and then backing out when they got the big money portion of contract.  That said I think this is more pressure than actual eviction.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

The issue is the rural customers, something NYS has a lot of, not being served and agreed to as part of merger.  If you did not want to perform all parts of contract Charter Communications, you should not have agreed to merger.  It is like players signing new contracts and then backing out when they got the big money portion of contract.  That said I think this is more pressure than actual eviction.

Yet, in the end NY will boot them out and customers will be left with a replacement out in the same position Spectrum is with little infrastructure to provide for the same customers. 

Ultimately, NY will do as they always do and look foolish and money hungry.