Parents had some houseguests

Ice bowl 67

My relatives, Cousin, his wife and kids never told them they were coming. They were hauling their suitcases to my parents front door and said to my folks can we stay for 5 days? They live 6 hours away too.My folks said I wish we would have known your coming. They said you guys can stay tonight and Friday night but we have plans for the weekend. My folks aren't happy at all that they were never informed they were coming. What would you guys do in this situation? Anyone dealt with something similar before?

Edited by Ice bowl 67

No, decent people don’t do that. Google is your friend, hotels are everywhere. With ZERO notice, I’d be pissed and take a stand, if only to make the point. There are so few people on the planet I’d accept that from, and those people would NEVER do that. 

• Like (+1) 3

Do they have the room?  Big house?

Mine is small... So where would they stay.

What are Mom & Pop's plans for weekend?  Going away?

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

No, decent people don’t do that. Google is your friend, hotels are everywhere. With ZERO notice, I’d be pissed and take a stand, if only to make the point. There are so few people on the planet I’d accept that from, and those people would NEVER do that. 

I sort of like.  Mainly this part.  I would still be pissed, but if we had room... Enable them most likely.  ?

There are people I would put up at a moments notice, unquestioned. As long as they needed. Those same people would NEVER ask for that without notice. The notice is the key. If you don’t do it, it will be your LAST time, ever. 

6 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I sort of like.  Mainly this part.  I would still be pissed, but if we had room... Enable them most likely.  ?

We have room. It’s more than that. It’s an uninvited intrusion. Next level stuff. 

They just have a spare bedroom and that's it. Well the Living room has a big couch. They have a family of 4 so they can barely fit all of them in. My Mom had vented that the sheets and pillows were dirty yet. She even told them that. She said use our laundry machine to wash the sheets and pillows. Yes they do have plans on Saturday and Sunday so they told them you have to be out Sat morning. My Mom said they seemed insulted. When my parents were in the process of moving  at the end of 2016 to stay in Arizona for the winter they wanted to stay again. They knew my folks were moving too and that hosting would be a huge hassle for them. My Mom was pissed. I told my Mom to tell them Flat out No! They are too nice though. They said we don't want to pay for a hotel LOL.

Oh supposedly too they are visiting again in October. My folks said if they show up with no notice they are going to lock the house up.

Edited by Ice bowl 67

4 hours ago, Augie said:

What was your score on the Empathy Test?   

7 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The questions you ask don’t pertain. People had a six hour drive. Dial the phone ferchrissakes.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

1 hour ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Is she hot?

What the !@#$?

You don't post unless you're creating a Hot for Teacher thread.

This has thrown my day off completely.

Edited by LeGOATski

9 hours ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

My relatives, Cousin, his wife and kids never told them they were coming. They were hauling their suitcases to my parents front door and said to my folks can we stay for 5 days? They live 6 hours away too.My folks said I wish we would have known your coming. They said you guys can stay tonight and Friday night but we have plans for the weekend. My folks aren't happy at all that they were never informed they were coming. What would you guys do in this situation? Anyone dealt with something similar before?

Why?  What reason did they give?

I mean, if it was just "we decided on the spur of the moment to spend a week with you!" I'd tell 'em "Great.  Yard's that way, sleep there."  But if their neighborhood was sacked by Visigoths or something, I might be a little more lenient.  

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

What was your score on the Empathy Test?   

Strangely, I thought I would be higher.   ?

(Actually I was middle of the pack, was that around 50?) 

family held a cottage till the late 70s, a free-floating middle-class commune for whoever was on the guest list and had time to spend in the summer.

one tribe would show up with 4 kids and no food, when asked what they brought for lunch they'd say "put another can of water in the soup"