Eric Wood on GMFB 7/25

Man, I feel like for awhile, he never got the respect he deserved him (lots of Wood is overrated posts). But he was a great leader and good player.  I think he was huge reason RI wasn’t as crazy here.  

It sucks it ended so quickly and abruptly but better to get out to early, than too late.  Very good Bill. 

21 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

He's definitely more intelligent and well spoken than your average pro football player.

Terrible myth. Most NFL players are very smart, well spoken, and intelligent. There are some players that coasted on athleticism, but most are smarter than your average fan. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Terrible myth. Most NFL players are are very smart, well spoken, and intelligent. There are some players that coasted on athleticism, but most are smarter than your average fan. 

It’s funny how fans go crazy about nfl players getting arrested when their arrest rate is much lower than “normal” citizens.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Terrible myth. Most NFL players are very smart, well spoken, and intelligent. There are some players that coasted on athleticism, but most are smarter than your average fan. 

mmmmmnope.

It really depends on position.

1 minute ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Not really. Some positions tend to have more intelligent players, OL is probably #1. 

That's what I'm saying. If you're looking for smart guys on a football field, you're looking at the OL, QB, TE, MLB and Safety.

You probably shouldn't be looking at RBs, WRs, DEs or CBs for intellectual inspiration.

8 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

That's what I'm saying. If you're looking for smart guys on a football field, you're looking at the OL, QB, TE, MLB and Safety.

You probably shouldn't be looking at RBs, WRs, DEs or CBs for intellectual inspiration.

Why would you say that? Most WR's are well spoken and intelligent, that's all they do is talk. Maybe you have a point with RB's. 

2 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Why would you say that? Most WR's are well spoken and intelligent, that's all they do is talk. Maybe you have a point with RB's. 

I think it has to do with positional responsibility IMO. A WR has to, at most, memorize route trees for given calls, maybe some blocking assignments. Same kind of thing for an RB. Remember which blocker to follow/which hole to hit.

As opposed to an OL who has to see the entire defense, understand where the blitz is coming from (if at all), know what his responsibility is as well as the guy to his left and right, etc...and he has to do this while standing completely still, and (when on the road) often without any audible clues from his QBs or teammates. That just requires a whole other level of mental processing.

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

Hey that pisses me off! I only played RB and CB for 15+ years and I was ALWAYS one of the top 5-10 smartest kids on my HS or college roster ?

i wrote poetry and novels back then! Poetry!!! 

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Hey that pisses me off! I only played RB and CB for 15+ years and I was ALWAYS one of the top 5-10 smartest kids on my HS or college roster ?

i wrote poetry and novels back then! Poetry!!! 

I can just imagine the trash talk you had with wide receivers.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Uncle Joe said:

I can just imagine the trash talk you had with wide receivers.

Hahah I have quoted Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn in a southern drawl for fun ?

'Does a boy get a chance to whitewash a fence every day?'

or my favorite 

"Plainly, here were 'two souls with but a single thought.'"

I would talk your ass off for 3 hours.. definitely didn’t wanna see me across from you ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Offensive linemen are apparently often the smartest players on the team.

13 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Hahah I have quoted Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn in a southern drawl for fun ?

'Does a boy get a chance to whitewash a fence every day?'

or my favorite 

"Plainly, here were 'two souls with but a single thought.'"

I would talk your ass off for 3 hours.. definitely didn’t wanna see me across from you ?

Hahahahaha did you ever have them begging for normal trash talk by the end of the game?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Offensive linemen are apparently often the smartest players on the team.

Hahahahaha did you ever have them begging for normal trash talk by the end of the game?

Of course that was the plan ?

Im a shorter corner at maybe 5’9.5 in cleats so I had to rely not only on my quickness and athleticism but being savvy lol

When I was going up against a kid who was physically more dominant like 6’2 210+ I would use mind games all day. Talk weird trash and try and take them off their game

usually by the 4th quarter they lose it and want to start fighting... then I’ll just quote the Bible ?

3 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Do you have some data to back that up?

I imagine there are plenty of dumb people and plenty of smart people, just like the general population.

Edited by MJS

22 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

CTE is real 

The HOF part is not happening but Browns in playoffs I think is not that crazy if Tyrod plays the whole year.  I could see them getting to 9 wins.

33 minutes ago, MJS said:

Do you have some data to back that up?

I imagine there are plenty of dumb people and plenty of smart people, just like the general population.

I agree with this but he the previous poster was commenting on a gross generalization that NFL players are mostly just dumb jocks and of lower IQ than the general population.  That is what was insinuated anyway and also dont believe that to be true.