Bills Pass Defense

Last year we saw a major overhaul of our secondary and a lot of people were suspect

We traded Darby and Gilmore walked, no longer had Robey Coleman in the slot.

Coaching and scheme proved to be the calling card of our secondary resurgence...

Now we add Vontae Davis to the mix.... A super physical corner who can play press man/ zone and is quick enough to play off man as well

He also is super physical in the run game... aggressive with keeping his contain and not afraid to throw his body around 

A former all pro he brings veteran leadership and football savvy to the locker room 

With Hyde and Poyer In the backend and White and Davis on the outside I see a top 5-10 passing D and a lot of pissed off QBs

Vontae is a headache for opposing WRs

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Now we add Vontae Davis to the mix.... A super physical corner who can play press man/ zone and is quick enough to play off man as well

He also is super physical in the run game... aggressive with keeping his contain and not afraid to throw his body around 

A former all pro he brings veteran leadership and football savvy to the locker room 

With Hyde and Poyer In the backend and White and Davis on the outside I see a top 5-10 passing D and a lot of pissed off QBs

If and only if he can stay healthy and return to his old form is this true.  There is a reason he signed a 1 year low money deal.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Green Lightning said:

All that changes if Vonte has lost a step. He could end up being a liability. I hope not but we don't know if he's going to come back to be what he was. So it's a gamble.

He was hurt last year and was good 2 years ago and a pro bowler 3 years ago 

He isn’t 30 yet and is a specimen athletically. He signed a 1 year deal because he wants to hit another pay day 

i think we struck gold this time

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

He isn’t 30 yet and is a specimen athletically. He signed a 1 year deal because he wants to hit another pay day 

I hope you're right. Just sayin'.

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Last year we saw a major overhaul of our secondary and a lot of people were suspect

We traded Darby and Gilmore walked, no longer had Robey Coleman in the slot.

Coaching and scheme proved to be the calling card of our secondary resurgence...

I think the secondary can be the best in the league. You gotta factor in what should be a much improved pass rush. And Edmunds/Milano in Nickel is a huge improvement over Preston and Humber/Lorax.. Alot to be excited about with the secondary and pass defense , it's going to keep us in the majority of games like last year

15 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I agree. Very well put. Was a top cb and a legit#1 before his injury Last year . Also as op said, he's a beast in the run game like Tre 

It was more than coaching and scheme.  They drafted a legit top 10 maybe top 8 CB.  Most on this board were done with Darby.  I would have kept Gilmore but I don't think he would have been the willing run support corner the defense needs.  Gaines was a good fit.  

I like the signing of Davis more than I like the signing of PED Murphy.  

I really liked the Hyde signing at the time but thought they overpaid for Poyer never thinking he could play SS.  Poyer is not the classic in the box big safety but McD and Frazier used him perfectly.  By mid-season Hyde and Poyer were nearly interchangeable in coverage schemes.

I would love to know how much of the Hyde signing was McD or Whaley or both.  

Hope I'm wrong about Murphy or Lawson steps up.  Bills could have worst pass rush in the league if the DE spot doesn't get better and Hughes ages.  

I am also cautiously optimistic.  Not as convinced as the OP that he is as good of a fit in zone as he is for more of a press man scheme which is how he was used when he was at his best. I was a big EJ Gaines guy insofar as his fit in the scheme.... but Davis if healthy and adapting to the defense is a more talented football player. 

Taron Johnson v Phillip Gaines for the slot position is a battle to watch during camp and the biggest worry across the secondary in my mind is depth 

There's a lot that Tre White and the entire CB group can learn from a guy like Davis. Adding him is about more than just what he brings on the field. He may be talented, but has good instincts, and he'll have eyes in the backfield more often here.

The secondary was the biggest strength of the team last year, and they made plays without the benefit of a really good pass rush. Adding Murphy should help there, and with Edmunds, they have a guy that could provide more opportunities for double A gap blitzes (a staple under McD) as well as more range in coverage. And if Starr can help improve the run D, it should provide more 2nd/3rd and longs. Those 3 additions could be huge for the pass D.

9 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

i think we struck gold with levi wallace also. i think he could be a better version of kevon seymour and do very well if davis needs a break or gets hurt.....which i think there's probably at least a 50/50 chance of.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am also cautiously optimistic.  Not as convinced as the OP that he is as good of a fit in zone as he is for more of a press man scheme which is how he was used when he was at his best. I was a big EJ Gaines guy insofar as his fit in the scheme.... but Davis if healthy and adapting to the defense is a more talented football player. 

Taron Johnson v Phillip Gaines for the slot position is a battle to watch during camp and the biggest worry across the secondary in my mind is depth 

Vontae was well versed in man and zone at Illinois 

He excelled in off zone and press man

McDermott is not afraid to press or play off and Vontae was far from bad in zone coverage in his career... maybe lacks some awareness at times but all corners do throughout a game for some plays

I loved the Gaines trade when it happens and think Vontae can be a veteran upgrade... though It woulda been nice to have Gaines back 

Edited by Buffalo716

28 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Vontae was well versed in man and zone at Illinois 

He excelled in off zone and press man

McDermott is not afraid to press or play off and Vontae was far from bad in zone coverage in his career... maybe lacks some awareness at times but all corners do throughout a game for some plays

I loved the Gaines trade when it happens and think Vontae can be a veteran upgrade... though It woulda been nice to have Gaines back 

Yea I loved the Gaines trade too.  I wasn't saying Davis is bad in zone so much as I think at his peak he was a top 10 corner mainly playing press man.  We don't necessarily need top 10 play from him though. If he could match or slightly better EJ Gaines' production last year that would do. If he is healthy and picks up the scheme quickly he certainly is a talent upgrade and gives you a bit more versatility in the types of coverage you can run compared to Gaines. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I loved the Gaines trade too.  I wasn't saying Davis is bad in zone so much as I think at his peak he was a top 10 corner mainly playing press man.  We don't necessarily need top 10 play from him though. If he could match or slightly better EJ Gaines' production last year that would do. If he is healthy and picks up the scheme quickly he certainly is a talent upgrade and gives you a bit more versatility in the types of coverage you can run compared to Gaines. 

I agree. I always thought he was at his best in press man so he can use his physicality and athleticism