Uber Fraud: Beware of the Vomit!

13 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Seems like Uber will implode for one reason or another, eventually, and sooner rather than later.

I certainly hope not! I use it quite a bit, especially when traveling. Great convenience and often cheaper than parking. Uber allows me that extra glass of wine (or four) that I wouldn’t dare have if I had to drive. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Augie said:

Uber allows me that extra glass of wine (or four) that I wouldn’t dare have if I had to drive. 

Be careful if 'der Ubermeister' takes a bumpy road.  After four glasses of wine you might have an involuntary 'technicolor yawn'.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

I feel bad for all the big city cabbies who are committing suicide because their medallions are worthless. 

Oh yeah, I feel terrible that their highly protected business model of high prices for terrible service and filthy vehicles has come crashing down!

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Oh yeah, I feel terrible that their highly protected business model of high prices for terrible service and filthy vehicles has come crashing down!

Yes, the current model of screwing the service providers with race to the bottom pricing which then encourages them to screw the customers while providing no customer service is much better.  They had Uber before, they were called Gypsy cabs.

• Like (+1) 1

I dunno, this can't really be that wide spread. I've used Uber maybe 40 times and never had a problem... other than one woman who reeked of old lady perfume. Most have been pleasant to ride with.

The thing is, you get their name, make and color of car/vehicle, their tag number, driving record, etc.

The tag thing though, that really is the crux. It directly ties the driver to a car and usually a place and if someone really wants to find you they will find a way. The retaliation could be on a big time scale so I don't see this being a common day thing. 

13 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

On the rise? One way to wiggle a little dough out of the customer... What do the drivers care? /smh...

http://amp.miamiherald.com/news/business/article215299675.html

Wow... I guess a rider should video the whole ride, take stills.  Maybe Uber will add cameras?

I can't believe you of all people would give credence to this type of millennial whining.   15 million rides a day and how many cases of 'vomit scam' have they found??

Actual line from the article:

Some passengers have to send three or four emails to resolve their complaints

OMG!!!  3 or 4 emails!!  Imagine the horror!!    Clearly the model is beyond repair!

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

I can't believe you of all people would give credence to this type of millennial whining.   15 million rides a day and how many cases of 'vomit scam' have they found??

Actual line from the article:

OMG!!!  3 or 4 emails!!  Imagine the horror!!    Clearly the model is beyond repair!

Agree... Kinda a lot of money.  Especially if it puts bank accounts in overdraft/over limit situations, I would hope bank would decline charge.

Not whining, just thought people should know.

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Can you link Uber/Lyft to pre-paid gift cards?

Try getting blood out of a stone.  Why the hell would you link it to a bank account/debit card?  Get a small limit credit card. Will they let you do that?

They won't, I've already tried. Other places won't let you either, Sling for instance.

11 minutes ago, T&C said:

They won't, I've already tried. Other places won't let you either, Sling for instance.

Debit/bank card would be stupid.  Best to go credit card, low limit.  

Wow... That sux.  I guess you got the 30 day billing cycle to dispute charges.  They got Your finances by the balls.

Have the bank text you when your card is hit.

One dude in story got hit twice in one night for a total of $300... By two different drivers. Miami does suck.

I’ve taken hundreds of Uber/Lyft rides without incident.  Took one cab ride in the last 2+ years and the scumbag driver pulled the ‘I don’t have any change’ routine to scam a couple extra bucks from me.