Plan to Fix the NCAA

Sky Diver

16 minutes ago, MJS said:

There's literally no reason to not go to college. If your parents are poor, the government will pay for your college through grants. If your parents are rich and don't give you money for college, you can get student loans with very low interest rates. If your grades weren't good in high school, go to a community college for a semester or two.

The limit on Federal Loans is $31,000 - no more than $23,000 of this may be subsidized. Beyond that, parents have to co-sign. Have you checked the price of college lately? $23,000 will barely cover the cost of 1 year at a SUNY school.

Not everyone is very rich, or very poor, a lot of us are in the middle.

Community college is a good route for a lot of students, including high achievers.

Edited by Sky Diver

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Because at that point they are nothing more than employees, might as well just stop the charade and pay them.

Better yet, stop pretending that school has anything to do with it and create a !@#$ing farm league like baseball has.  Let NFL teams draft them out of high school.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Better yet, stop pretending that school has anything to do with it and create a !@#$ing farm league like baseball has.  Let NFL teams draft them out of high school.

Eliminating college sports doesn't serve anyone's interests, so it will never happen.

Just now, Sky Diver said:

Eliminating college sports doesn't serve anyone's interests, so it will never happen.

Who said anything about eliminating college sports?

I want to eliminate kids going to college solely because they want to play in the NFL.

23 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

The limit on Federal Loans is $31,000 - no more than $23,000 of this may be subsidized. Beyond that, parents have to co-sign. Have you checked the price of college lately? $23,000 will barely cover the cost of 1 year at a SUNY school.

Not everyone is very rich, or very poor, a lot of us are in the middle.

Community college is a good route for a lot of students, including high achievers.

my daughter did 2 years at CC and then transferred to FAU finishing her degree this December.   Even then her grant funding was cut off and we're paying out of pocket, but at the end of all this, she will have a degree and less than $3000 in student loans if she has any at all.    Not bad, but a ton of work and dedication.  

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Agree on the 100%. I dont know about the farm system for NFL, the product (NFL Europe) tends to be unwatchable and  it is too expensive and the NFL has a free farm system in the the NCAA.

16 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Who said anything about eliminating college sports?

I want to eliminate kids going to college solely because they want to play in the NFL.

Only about 2% of NCAA football players get drafted. Athletes need to be made aware of that and it needs to be hammered home.

If you go to college with the sole intent of making it to the NFL, you are an idiot.

Many top football programs, including Alabama, have high graduation rates.

http://college.usatoday.com/2017/07/07/best-colleges-football/

Edited by Sky Diver
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Only about 2% of NCAA football players get drafted. Athlete's need to be made aware of that and it needs to be hammered home.

If you go to college with the sole intent of making it to the NFL, you are an idiot.

Many top football programs, including Alabama, have high graduation rates.

Alabama sits at about 30% under Saban.  Also, the number of majors across the roster is very low in comparison to other schools.  They're clustering.  Because of this, the high graduation rates mean far less, likely closer to nothing.

Alabama sits at about 30% under Saban.  Also, the number of majors across the roster is very low in comparison to other schools.  They're clustering.  Because of this, the high graduation rates mean far less, likely closer to nothing.

I guess you missed this.

Play Division 1 football and get a great education at these 10 schools

Alabama is #5 on the list.

30%? Are you drawing numbers out of a hat? Alabama's graduation rate for football players is 84%. I believe that it's 100% after 7 years.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/12/04/study-graduation-rate-for-bowl-bound-football-players-is-up/108298402/

Just now, Sky Diver said:

I guess you missed this.

Play Division 1 football and get a great education at these 10 schools

Alabama is #5 on the list.

30%? Are you drawing numbers out of a hat? Alabama's graduation rate for football players is 84%. I believe that it's 100% after 7 years.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/12/04/study-graduation-rate-for-bowl-bound-football-players-is-up/108298402/

I meant the percentage of players who get drafted; sorry for not being clear.

I never said Alabama wasn't a good school.  I'm saying that the football players aren't there for the education.

I meant the percentage of players who get drafted; sorry for not being clear.

I never said Alabama wasn't a good school.  I'm saying that the football players aren't there for the education.

I'm really not sure on what basis you say that.

I could go on and on:

Alabama Football Wins 2017 AFCA Academic Achievement Award.

https://rolltide.com/news/2017/12/6/alabama-football-shares-2017-afca-academic-achievement-award.aspx?path=football

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

I'm really not sure on what basis you say that.

I could go on and on:

Alabama Football Wins 2017 AFCA Academic Achievement Award.

https://rolltide.com/news/2017/12/6/alabama-football-shares-2017-afca-academic-achievement-award.aspx?path=football

Again.  They're clustering.  There is no way you can be so naïve as to think that Alabama's football team is full of - or even 1/4 full of - legitimate college graduates.

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Again.  They're clustering.  There is no way you can be so naïve as to think that Alabama's football team is full of - or even 1/4 full of - legitimate college graduates.

First, nobodies football team has college GRADUATES. They all have college STUDENTS.

Second, virtually every freshman college course is at least half full of students who’ll never actually graduate...and very few of those students are on the football team.

28 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think that Saban's comments are on the money:

“[Earning a degree] means a lot of guys — even though football might be difficult, nobody is saying it isn’t. Nobody’s saying school is not very difficult. Nobody is saying that getting a college education isn’t very difficult — but for a lot of those guys, being good football players is what created the opportunity for them to make a tremendous investment in their future by graduating from school.

“Is it difficult? Probably,” he said. “Was it difficult for me? Absolutely. So, I don’t think it’s ever been more difficult. It’s just never been easy. But I do think the reward of it all — the lessons that are learned being part of a team, the lessons being a competitor in an environment like this or any college football program … the lessons that you learn in life. I mean, how valuable can those things be? “

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/11/nick-saban-has-his-own-thoughts-on-josh-rosens-football-academics-not-mixing-comments/

I really don't get why you are so bent out of shape about individuals getting an education through football that otherwise wouldn't have been available to them.

15 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

First, nobodies football team has college GRADUATES. They all have college STUDENTS.

Second, virtually every freshman college course is at least half full of students who’ll never actually graduate...and very few of those students are on the football team.

UA has direct admit into their engineering program, ie. anyone who wants to major in engineering can.

It's difficult to get the exact number since students do co-ops. take time off, etc., but depending on the engineering discipline, it appears that roughly about 15% to 25% of students that start in engineering get an engineering degree. Computer Science and Aerospace Engineering seem to have the lowest rate, and Civil Engineering the highest.

Getting an engineering degree isn't easy for anyone, especially with the rigors of college athletics, but some do it.

Edited by Sky Diver

4 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

I really don't get why you are so bent out of shape about individuals getting an education through football that otherwise wouldn't have been available to them.

Because I'm a firm believer that Saban is completely full of ****.

This is a business to him.  He doesn't give two ***** about any one of these kids and he knows their "education" is as fake as Stormy Daniels' boobs.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.