President Donald J. Trump's Supreme Court Associate Justice Kavanaugh

I started getting the feeling it would be Kavanaugh earlier today.  Longer track record as a judge, better pedigree.  Time will tell how he does.

5 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Odd choice, that guy. I thought he'd pick the woman.

Not so odd, considering the squawking that Dems have been putting up.  Kavanaugh is ostensibly a fan of stare decisis and clerked for Kennedy back in his youth.  If I had to bet I'd say his Supreme Court record, compared to current justices, will end up looking most like Alito's.

8 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

I started getting the feeling it would be Kavanaugh earlier today.  Longer track record as a judge, better pedigree.  Time will tell how he does.

Not so odd, considering the squawking that Dems have been putting up.  Kavanaugh is ostensibly a fan of stare decisis and clerked for Kennedy back in his youth.  If I had to bet I'd say his Supreme Court record, compared to current justices, will end up looking most like Alito's.

why is adherence to precedence such a positive?

8 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

I agree, I think in some respect Trump is protecting her a bit from the thrashing that's going to be unleashed. Maybe she's tapped for the next replacement (say Thomas/RGB), when theoretically it should be a smoother ride. 

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

Because it's the opposite of activism, which is the only way the progressive agenda can "win". 

2 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

In this case, it eases Dem fears about Roe v. Wade being overturned.

I think it's bad precedent.  But Kavanaugh's statements about Roe have been couched enough that they might not mean anything at all.  We will see.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I agree, I think in some respect Trump is protecting her a bit from the thrashing that's going to be unleashed. Maybe she's tapped for the next replacement (say Thomas/RGB), when theoretically it should be a smoother ride. 

If she can get a couple more years in on the Circuit to get some more opinions under her belt, tapping her to replace Thomas in, say, two (or three ;) ) years might be the move.

Rand Paul said if Kavanaugh was elected he wouldn't vote for his confirmation and he refused the invite tonight.  I predict Rand Paul like usual will give a passionate speech in the Senate on why he opposes him and then vote to confirm him the following day.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

:lol: Already -

He'll be Satan by sunrise. 

This guy knows his crowd as indicated by his speech this evening. This was probably as "good" as it was going to get for the left. And they will protest him? Crazy times we live in.

• Like (+1) 1