President Donald J. Trump's Supreme Court Associate Justice Kavanaugh

Just now, Bray Wyatt said:

Yeah I more prefer Kethledge as he is in the mold of Gorsuch etc., but I picked her just to watch the left scramble to discredit her. Judge Napolitano said that Trump and Barrett didnt seem to hit it off in their meeting from what he heard so he didnt think it was going to be her

Trump is all about presentation though and nominating a devout catholic conservative female judge with a willingness to overturn past Supreme Court precedents like Roe vs. Wade is too tempting to pass up.  Every poll I've seen show bout 2/3rds of America are against overturning Roe vs. Wade so it is somewhat of a gamble with the midterms approaching.

3 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

This is not a sandbox I typically play in, so forgive my being naive when I ask, is there not a conservative black female  judge qualified for the spot?

I dont think any made his list that he said he was choosing from

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Trump is all about presentation though and nominating a devout catholic conservative female judge with a willingness to overturn past Supreme Court precedents like Roe vs. Wade is too tempting to pass up.  Every poll I've seen show bout 2/3rds of America are against overturning Roe vs. Wade so it is somewhat of a gamble with the midterms approaching.

I think that is also another knock against her, as he wants the person he nominates to get confirmed and she would draw a lot of ire

1 minute ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I think that is also another knock against her, as he wants the person he nominates to get confirmed and she would draw a lot of ire

Trump lives for a fight though.  I'd be shocked if it wasn't her.  He should have the Red Hen restaurant sponsor the announcement on Fox News.

• Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

How willing is she to overturn Roe v. Wade?  I know she wrote on it...but that writing was an argument about textualism, not abortion.

9 minutes ago, GG said:

WSJ is speculating that it's Hardiman

From what I understand, we know little about him and how he would rule, could be a wolf in sheeps clothing for republicans (yet again) and thats why I want to stay away from him

15 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

If this is true, and 2/3 of Americans are against overturning Roe v Wade, then there should be no problem overturning Roe v Wade, as there should be immediate and overwhelming popular support to pass a Federal law legalizing abortion.  IE. forcing Congress to do it's job.

In my view, Roe v Wade was incorrectly decided, not because I believe abortion to be immoral (I do), but rather because the Federal government is not given power by the Constitution to prevent states from restricting abortion in it's carefully enumerated powers, most certainly not by the Judicial branch.

Repeal Roe, force Congress to act on the will of the people, and pass a law defining if, and when, abortion is acceptable.  Then have those laws challenged, and vetted by the Courts.  If necessary, and popular opinion is truly there, amend the Constitution.

This is how the process was designed to work.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

This is not a sandbox I typically play in, so forgive my being naive when I ask, is there not a conservative black female  judge qualified for the spot?

I thought so too and I just went here https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/president-donald-j-trumps-supreme-court-list/ and could not find a single black female...

I could have SWORN there was one on the list, an ex State Supreme Court justice in California?

43 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Trump lives for a fight though.  I'd be shocked if it wasn't her.  He should have the Red Hen restaurant sponsor the announcement on Fox News.

Judge Napolitano said they didn't exactly hit it off in the interview...

Today in "institutions are good when we win and we only notice their flaws when we lose."........:lol:

ivuRfUNj_normal.jpegEzra Klein

The Supreme Court has always been undemocratic. What it’s becoming is something more dangerous: anti-democratic. https://www.vox.com/2018/7/9/17546170/supreme-court-donald-trump-nominee 

Would “anti-democratic” by any chance translate to “not liberal”?
:w00t:

1 minute ago, B-Man said:

Today in "institutions are good when we win and we only notice their flaws when we lose."........:lol:

Would “anti-democratic” by any chance translate to “not liberal”?

So...

Today Ezra Klein admitted that he does not know how our form of government works?

The Supreme Court was not designed to be a democratic institution. It was, in fact, designed to be anti-democratic as a check on the populism of Congress, working to strike down law and action which our Constitution does not permit, in order to ensure that our Federal government abides by it's charter, and adheres to the law.

• Like (+1) 1

My guess is Hardiman.  He served on the Court of Appeals with Trump's sister.

Yes Lefties, Donald Trump's sister is Federal Judge and was ironically appointed by Bill Clinton

1 hour ago, LABillzFan said:

Diamond%2520Silk%2520Trump.jpg&f=1

• Haha (+1) 2

CONFIRMED: We can confirm that 3 senate Dems, up for releection in the fall, were invited to @realDonaldTrump announcement tonight, and all thre declined. Those 3 : Joe Donnelly, Heidi Heitkamp, and Joe Manchin. @FoxNews

from fin gomez 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

CONFIRMED: We can confirm that 3 senate Dems, up for releection in the fall, were invited to @realDonaldTrump announcement tonight, and all thre declined. Those 3 : Joe Donnelly, Heidi Heitkamp, and Joe Manchin. @FoxNews

from fin gomez 

To paraphrase B:

All they have to do is not be crazy. 

And they can't do it. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

In my view, Roe v Wade was incorrectly decided, not because I believe abortion to be immoral (I do), but rather because the Federal government is not given power by the Constitution to prevent states from restricting abortion in it's carefully enumerated powers, most certainly not by the Judicial branch.

Repeal Roe, force Congress to act on the will of the people, and pass a law defining if, and when, abortion is acceptable.  Then have those laws challenged, and vetted by the Courts.  If necessary, and popular opinion is truly there, amend the Constitution.

Roe is a horribly written decision that completely ignores the US Constitution, specifically the 10th Amendment. Some legal scholars believe that the 10th Amendment is more advisory than law. I don't subscribe to that idiocy, especially when you actually put the Constitution into historical context, which many oft forget to do.

However, I find it hilarious that anyone thinks that overturning the case would be some sort of panacea that would immediately end all abortions in the US. In fact, I think that the right to life crowd would likely be horrified at the ramification if the case were overturned.

The law would go back to each individual state deciding whether abortion is legal, and under what terms and conditions it is or is not. Assuming that even half the states would seek to prohibit abortions (which, I think, is a gross overestimation), the worst-case scenario is that preggo chicks are slightly inconvenienced in having to go to another state for the procedure. Oh don't get me wrong, I'm sure we'd hear all the sob stories about some broad who was too poor to buy a condom (but obviously not too poor to have unprotected sex) and can't possibly get anywhere abortions are legal, but !@#$ them.

Where the right really doesn't want to mess with Roe is that all of the federal restrictions would become unconstitutional, as a state issue, and thus meaningless. Nothing would prevent a state from allowing abortions into the third trimester. Nothing would prevent states from authorizing partial-birth abortions. Nothing would prevent a state from passing legislation authorizing whatever horrific procedure they want to legalize to terminate a fetus.

In the end, Roe vs. Wade is a terrible decision that completely ignores the concepts of limited federal government and dual sovereignty, but it probably is the fairest compromise there can be to such a contentious issue.

33 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I'm not sure who the better troll is, Cruz or Trump. Cruz's tweet was gold, and Trump's move was a masterpiece.

Edited by Koko78
  • Like (+1) 4

44 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

from fin gomez 

Neither is Susan Collins apparently.