Google, Facebook and the surveillance state

stuvian

I believe Big Tech has become a handmaiden to the surveillance state and have starting to leave less of a trail other than my devotion to my fellow Bills community. I am starting to use search engines and browsers other than Google's and am nearly at the point of closing my FB account. Just wondering if other 2BDers have made similar steps and can share any tips for preserving online anonymity and privacy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

www.duckduckgo.com is a great search site but they all track you

VPN is a good way to go.

i haven't deleted anything but don't use the internet for anything other than topical stuff

FB is extremely hacked with multiple companies having data mining rights.

I did an experiment. Created a FB page, locked it private and placed some false info on page including misspellings.

You get targeted advertising including phone calls to my google voice number only supplied to it other than google who had it for months without calls.

5 hours ago, stuvian said:

I believe Big Tech has become a handmaiden to the surveillance state and have starting to leave less of a trail other than my devotion to my fellow Bills community. I am starting to use search engines and browsers other than Google's and am nearly at the point of closing my FB account. Just wondering if other 2BDers have made similar steps and can share any tips for preserving online anonymity and privacy.

Boy, are you going to be disappointed in the results.

Big brother is watching and compiling data.   

Oops meant FB and G

went to FB last week and “they” made a video montage of me in various pictures linked to family pictures posted.  

WTF.   With facial recognition on ..... I have to start to block the camera so it doesn’t record me picking my nose.  

On 7/2/2018 at 8:34 PM, Boyst62 said:

www.duckduckgo.com is a great search site but they all track you

VPN is a good way to go.

i haven't deleted anything but don't use the internet for anything other than topical stuff

Topical? As in “ointments”??

My wife and I never had Facebook. My kids have quit it. I was given a Google Home Assistant as a gift. I didn’t want it but I felt obligated to set it up. It wants way too much personal information to set it up. I put it in a back bedroom with the door closed. The only thing I ever do with it is check the weather forecast. And I haven’t done that in over a month. 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

My wife and I never had Facebook. My kids have quit it. I was given a Google Home Assistant as a gift. I didn’t want it but I felt obligated to set it up. It wants way too much personal information to set it up. I put it in a back bedroom with the door closed. The only thing I ever do with it is check the weather forecast. And I haven’t done that in over a month. 

Same here.  Never had social media other than this place... If you want to call this social media.  Never FB.  Wife quit it, teen kids too, once adults started getting on it.

Who would you have offended if you didn't set it up?

Also... I always surf incognito, clear cookies, etc... Thing is now, you can't screen shot incognito on phone. (Android Chrome updated version).

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

Topical? As in “ointments”??

See if anything important is happening or keep up with a few folks I don't check in enough with; one board member is expecting their first child, one just went on his honeymoon (which is amazing considering how reluctant he was about moving on from her about 5 yrs ago only to end up with her)... Yeah, a lot of stuff that just goes by the wayside.

Tsw is damn near unreadable, PPP is ridiculous thanks to trolling, but otw is still fun.

32 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Same here.  Never had social media other than this place... If you want to call this social media.  Never FB.  Wife quit it, teen kids too, once adults started getting on it.

Who would you have offended if you didn't set it up?

Also... I always surf incognito, clear cookies, etc... Thing is now, you can't screen shot incognito on phone. (Android Chrome updated version).

Son and his fiancé

On 7/2/2018 at 4:39 PM, stuvian said:

Silicon Valley = USIC. Always has, always will.