Ohh Boy..This Should be Interesting Richmond Va

I live in Richmond VA...

https://www.richmond.com/news/local/city-of-richmond/monument-avenue-commission-remove-jefferson-davis-monument-reinterpret-others-honoring/article_22138cfa-7734-5844-8175-93cec52f7d59.html

While I agree with taking the monuments down, thought they were just going to recommend signage etc. Interesting this is the only one recommended to come down. This is gunna be a fight. The interesting thing is most folks who live on Monument Ave now probably more of what yall would call 'limousine liberals" ..and want the statues to come down. Will be the older money not gunna like this!!!

Edited by plenzmd1

I live in Charlottesville.

We've been through this and continue to be impacted.

Leave them alone or you will invite hundreds of lunatics to protest the issue.

Monuments are monuments.

No support or condemnation need be implied.

"More recently, the Richmond School Board renamed J.E.B. Stuart Elementary school to Barack Obama Elementary last month. 

Get use to it folks, that will surely be the most frequent renaming of schools, bridges, highways and buildings for years.....or forever.

?

Edited by I am the egg man

5 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

"More recently, the Richmond School Board renamed J.E.B. Stuart Elementary school to Barack Obama Elementary last month. 

Get use to it folks, that will surely be the most frequent renaming of schools, bridges, highways and buildings in for years.....maybe forever.

?

Barack obama elementary? !@#$ that. 

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

Barack obama elementary? !@#$ that. 

Better than named after someone who wanted the Union dissolved no? I mean these dudes were fighting to keep slavery legal. I write this as i sit in Richmond VA watching the Bachelorette in Richmond VA!

9 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Better than named after someone who wanted the Union dissolved.

Yeah, naming things after a President who wanted the U.S. to be relegated to 3rd world nation status is appropriate.

?

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Yeah, naming things after a President who wanted the U.S. to be relegated to 3rd world nation status is appropriate.

LOL.  I think that's exactly what he said at his inaugural address.  I like the idea of putting all these confederate statues in a museum.  Especially in heavily black populated regions like Richmond (around 40% of population).  

34 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Better than named after someone who wanted the Union dissolved no? I mean these dudes were fighting to keep slavery legal. I write this as i sit in Richmond VA watching the Bachelorette in Richmond VA!

That's not why they fought, and that's not why they fought.  

Pretending that history doesn't exist is the single most moronic thing the left has advocated (and that's saying something).

That's straight-up ISIS bullschiff. Destroy anything you don't agree with.

33 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Let me know when they erase Robert Byrd's name, and then I'll know they're serious.

I think you mean Henty Byrd, but i may be wrong. This school is about a mile from house.

https://www.richmond.com/news/local/education/henrico/quioccasin-selected-as-new-name-for-byrd-middle-school/article_bc859e10-312f-55a1-91d7-e5fe5e6ecdd1.html

Still amazes me the nearest high school is the Rebels..

4 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

That's not why they fought, and that's not why they fought.  

okay.. I am sure you are going to tell me it was about states rights...nothing to do with slavery correct? 

7 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

Pretending that history doesn't exist is the single most moronic thing the left has advocated (and that's saying something).

That's straight-up ISIS bullschiff. Destroy anything you don't agree with.

dont have to pretend history does not exist, but to glorify people on the wrong side of history does not make sense to me. Confederate White House, Tredegar Iron Works both document the history of the Civil War and Confederacy in Richmond

6 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I think you mean Henty Byrd, but i may be wrong. This school is about a mile from house.

https://www.richmond.com/news/local/education/henrico/quioccasin-selected-as-new-name-for-byrd-middle-school/article_bc859e10-312f-55a1-91d7-e5fe5e6ecdd1.html

Still amazes me the nearest high school is the Rebels..

okay.. I am sure you are going to tell me it was about states rights...nothing to do with slavery correct? 

dont have to pretend history does not exist, but to glorify people on the wrong side of history does not make sense to me. Confederate White House, Tredegar Iron Works both document the history of the Civil War and Confederacy in Richmond

And I suppose you're going to tell me that men who freed their slaves before the war, and who explicitly wrote about the difficult of their choices between national and state loyalties in light of the federal order for the US Army to suppress the states, were simply racists?

I mean...you DO know that J.E.B. Stuart freed more slaves than Abraham Lincoln ever did, right?

Of course you don't.  And I don't blame you for your ignorance...it's how you were taught.  The reality of antebellum America was vastly more complex than you've been taught.

4 hours ago, Foxx said:

the Taliban took down monuments too.

So did the American army in Iraq. You want the Saddam monuments back up? 

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

I like that!!!

Too bad it's not true 

6 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

And I suppose you're going to tell me that men who freed their slaves before the war, and who explicitly wrote about the difficult of their choices between national and state loyalties in light of the federal order for the US Army to suppress the states, were simply racists?

I mean...you DO know that J.E.B. Stuart freed more slaves than Abraham Lincoln ever did, right?

Of course you don't.  And I don't blame you for your ignorance...it's how you were taught.  The reality of antebellum America was vastly more complex than you've been taught.

You are so full of sh it

Propaganda "history" is nauseating 

BTW, i also agree that the causes of the Civil were complex..but to deny that slavery was the central issue that was driving division amongst the states I think is intellectually dishonest. States rights and economic uncertainty  all stemmed from the slavery issue.

4 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Too bad it's not true 

I think it is though...it was kinda funny by Tom..and quite literally accurate

• Like (+1) 1