Shooting at Capital Gazette in Annopolis, MD

Reports are 5 fatalities and several gravely wounded. Also, it seems the care factor, or maybe the new coverage factor, decreases as with the victims age or whether or not a school is involved. 

Edited by RaoulDuke79

From the shooter's Twitter feed.

https://mobile.twitter.com/erichartleyfrnd?lang=en

Eric Thomas Hartley knows from experience, but doesn't appreciate how bad it can get. Journalist Hell awaits.
Edited by PromoTheRobot

11 minutes ago, bdutton said:

He was unhinged and upset tha this case of defamation was thrown out.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140124185707/http://mysite.verizon.net/jwramos79/

There's a lot to unpack there. But you just can't go around shooting people. Most of these shooters end up doing themselves in or suicide by cop. I wonder if he gave up so he could attempt to continue to tell his side of the story. 

I'm not sure if Twitter and Facebook and such have just exposed lunatics or have created them.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

There's a lot to unpack there. But you just can't go around shooting people. Most of these shooters end up doing themselves in or suicide by cop. I wonder if he gave up so he could attempt to continue to tell his side of the story. 

I'm not sure if Twitter and Facebook and such have just exposed lunatics or have created them.

He may well have assumed he would have been shot since he took the trouble to obscure his fingerprints. (Not sure what that means. Did he burn his fingers off?)

Just Google Jarrod W Ramos, Laurel MD. There is a treasure trove of details, for now anyway.

I would suggest that a thick layer of CA glue (super glue) would pretty well obscure your fingerprints.  There are probably other better ways to do it too.

As always, these shootings involve a complex set of circumstances; it's not black and white.

A few critical components tend to be: 1) crazy person 2) history of psychiatric drug prescription 3) gun 4) triggering event that puts person over the edge.

If we lived in a land without guns, we would probably see much less of this.  By the same token, if we had a society that got mental help more efficiently and cheaply to those who need it, we would probably see less of this as well.

Making the 400 million guns in this country go away is not easy.  In fact, it might be impossible.

So maybe we could work on better health care?  What a thought.

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I would suggest that a thick layer of CA glue (super glue) would pretty well obscure your fingerprints.  There are probably other better ways to do it too.

As always, these shootings involve a complex set of circumstances; it's not black and white.

A few critical components tend to be: 1) crazy person 2) history of psychiatric drug prescription 3) gun 4) triggering event that puts person over the edge.

If we lived in a land without guns, we would probably see much less of this.  By the same token, if we had a society that got mental help more efficiently and cheaply to those who need it, we would probably see less of this as well.

Making the 400 million guns in this country go away is not easy.  In fact, it might be impossible.

So maybe we could work on better health care?  What a thought.

#4 should be split into two or more culturally. Many parts to #4.

Why is that triggering event get more extreme as we change culturally?

Say... Go back to the 1960s, what triggered the Texas sniper?  Why are we seeing more triggering mechanisms now?  What has changed with regards to society, what are the daily stresses put on people.  Then, couple THAT with your first 3 factors.

What was the purpose of the paper writing the story, what did it accomplish:

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/capital-gazette-shooting-annapolis-maryland-lawyer-woman-suspect-jarrod-ramos-harassed/

Just pissed him off more.

"McCarthy said the harassment and stalking began around 2009, after they became friends on Facebook. In 2011, she took him to court, where he pleaded guilty to criminal harassment and was placed on 18-months' probation. Five days later, the Capital Gazette wrote a story titled, "Jarrod wants to be your friend." It outlined Ramos' alleged erratic behavior and included alleged emails he sent, telling McCarthy's client: "go hang yourself," "you're going to need a restraining order now," and "you can't make me stop."

What was the purpose of the paper exposing him.  He took the 18 month probation... Then they give him a face wash.

Somebody explain to me the purpose of the story?

20 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Not all of Twitter and Facebook users are loons despite the high correlation in numbers

Maybe the loons are just attracted to places that allow them to beg for attention?

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Not all of Twitter and Facebook users are loons despite the high correlation in numbers

Maybe the loons are just attracted to places that allow them to beg for attention?

Like here?   ?

43 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

That's my issue with the platforms. Everyone thinks they are important and people need to hear their voice. It blows my mind that people like Kylie Jenner have millions of Twitter followers for doing nothing except  being famous. 

Also, I think there's always been crazy people, but now with instant and global media  & the internet all the crazy people can now find and interact with one another. 

6 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

That's my issue with the platforms. Everyone thinks they are important and people need to hear their voice. It blows my mind that people like Kylie Jenner have millions of Twitter followers for doing nothing except  being famous. 

Also, I think there's always been crazy people, but now with instant and global media  & the internet all the crazy people can now find and interact with one another. 

That is my opinion.  Made of these social media forums are custom made for kooks.

4 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

The new technology and social media hasn't created anything new in human behavior.

Rather, it has simply revealed something that must have always been there.

I.E., give your average person a technology to create a platform promoting themselves and which is able to be disseminated to others, and a certain breed of cat is going to latch onto that and become obsessed with it.

One (of many) reasons why I can't stand Facebook is most people's pages tend to be odd homages to themselves in a very narcissistic manner, usually meant to suggest an interesting, exciting life, with an interjection of sophistication.

So a woman might post a selfie capturing the nice view of the vineyards in the background and her wine glass on the table at some winery, and add the caption: "Kicking back with a glass of malbec and enjoying the views in Sonoma."

Meanwhile, actually knowing the person, I can connect the dots and tell you she has been looking for a man but not finding him for as long as I've known her (20 years plus) and is fundamentally a shallow, unhappy person.

But that is not expressed on the Facebook post!  

Facebook is at least 50% this sort of thing.

Meanwhile, the people that I know are leading super happy, fulfilling lives are, for the most part, not posting on social media platforms at all!  They are too busy living cool lives.

The social media has demonstrated what we already knew: people love to talk about themselves and usually falsely inflate their importance in the world.

• Like (+1) 1