Peterson Death Sentence

millbank

Peterson punishment: Death

JUDGE AGREES PETERSON SHOULD DIE FOR HIS CRIMES

By Jessie Seyfer

Mercury News

Judge Alfred Delucchi sentenced Scott Peterson to die by lethal injection for the murders of his wife, Laci Peterson, and unborn son.

This morning, Delucchi also denied a motion from Peterson's attorneys for a new trial.

The same jury that convicted Peterson of first- and second-degree murder recommended in December that Peterson be put to death.

The former Modesto fertilizer salesman entered the Redwood City courtroom wearing a dark suit and shackled at the waist with handcuffs.

Delucchi's denial of the motion for a new trial was expected. Much of the rationale used by Peterson's lawyer, Mark Geragos, in his motion -- two jurors should not have been dismissed, the trial should have been moved from San Mateo County, various evidence should not have been allowed -- already had been ruled on by Delucchi during the trial and deliberations.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree with that decision.  He should be given life in prison.  Nobody should be given the death penalty based only on circumstantial evidence.

276789[/snapback]

Agreed.

Not that I disagree with putting both of them down, but Peterson's crime was ten times worse.

Rot in hell Scotty.

276774[/snapback]

Ok, we know that Nichols killed....let's see here...A Judge, A Sheriff, News Reporter, and a Federal customs Agent....This dude should be put to death by Decapitation...

;)

Oh wait, and there is no proof that peterson did it either...

I don't agree with that decision.  He should be given life in prison.  Nobody should be given the death penalty based only on circumstantial evidence.

276789[/snapback]

Is he guilty? Yes. That makes him a murderer. How did he get found guilty? Who cares. He's guilty. He should die. Maybe if we didn't have so many loophopes and got to the executions quicker, we'd have less Scott Petersons in this world and more Laci Petersons.

276789[/snapback]

I 100% totally agree.

I think he's guilty. All signs point to guilty. But until there's some concrete evidence, or he admits it, he should be in jail forever.

Like this guy - awful just reading a few sentences of his execution. Please his innocence even while they needle gets injected.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/03/15/okla.exe...reut/index.html

How did he get found guilty? Who cares. He's guilty. He should die.

276864[/snapback]

Who cares? Well that's a great way to think. 12 jurors decided it. Am i arguing the US judicial system? No, 12 peers judging your fate seems to be about the fairest way to do it. But what if he didn't do it. Like I said, all signs point to it, but there's no solid evidence besides circumstantial evidence. I don't see any reason we can't reserve the death penalty for those cases where we have ZERO doubt, not just lacking reasonable doubt. All doubt should be gone, then kill him.

100% totally agree.

I think he's guilty. All signs point to guilty. But until there's some concrete evidence, or he admits it, he should be in jail forever

Ditto. As much as I'd like to see this guy fry - someone's got to come up with some evidence.

This argument goes in complete cirlcles and those of us on both sides know it. I for one am against it, many of you are for it. Primarily I am against it because I do not think it is our job to do. Secondly we have NEVER proven that we can apply this sentence fairly.

I often think back to when I first moved to Virginia and three women (two white, one balck) violently killed another of their roomates. All the evidence pointed to all three playing an equal role in this horrible murder. All three where tried seperately, the two white women got life, the black woman got the death penalty. The judge in the black womans case change the sentence to life. One might argue that the system worked, but these sentences are based on emotion and just is not, well, just.

Ditto. As much as I'd like to see this guy fry - someone's got to come up with some evidence.

276871[/snapback]

Very shortly after her death he was found trying to leave the country with his hair dyed, a goatee, and $10,000 in cash...after they found her corpse but while they were looking for her murderer. This was after, of course, he was cheating on his pregnant wife with a woman who, upon hearing of Laci's death, immediately suspected Scott had killed her and was worried she was next. Good enough for me.

I have jury duty in a couple of weeks. I hope I don't get a murder trial or anything like that because I can't give another human being the death penalty.

276909[/snapback]

That's the beauty of being a juror - you don't need to.

I have jury duty in a couple of weeks. I hope I don't get a murder trial or anything like that because I can't give another human being the death penalty.

276909[/snapback]

Make sure you tell them that when they interview you. You'll get home more quickly.

Remember, he was convicted in California. He has a better chance of dying of natural causes in prison than the lethal injection he was sentenced to. In the interim, there is plenty of opportunity to dis-prove his guilt, if it can be done. It's not like he's going to the death chamber first thing in the morning...