Anybody here ever think about...

Justice

Many posters here are highly skilled at writing. I don't include myself in that group, but many of TSWallers write better than some guys that write for major newspapers. I for one, consider getting paid for writing about sports a dream job. Even if it wasn't about the Bills. Some of you younger guys should really consider getting into journalism as a profession.

I just graduated from Journalism at a school in Hamilton, Ontario and I am currently at my co-op at The Score Television Network in Toronto. Would love to be on air talking about sports. Not too crazy about writing in the paper, but we'll see what happens.

it's an industry in transition. i don't have any interest in it because the interesting aspect of it is dead, in my opinion.

journalism used to be about investigation...digging for the truth.

these days, the history channel, learning channel, and discovery channel do more investigative journalism than any news outfit.

all they do is gather the What Happened of daily, weekly, and monthly events. They hire talking heads to yammer about these events ad nauseum. They create shows where one head of this political persuasion incites another head of the opposite persuasion, and vice versa.

they create bogus stories like the "summer of the sharks" a couple years ago. It's almost creepy, as if there's some order from on high for news outlets to fill people's mind with dreck to distract them or keep them sucking on the teat of complacency. There were no more shark attacks that summer than any other summer on record. The news media simply decided they'd create a thing out of a couple instances that are usually relegated, correctly, to local news stories. Well, it sold advertising so the other news outfits had to follow suit.

It's a joke.

Journalism is dead. And there's no better icon for its death than Dan Fuggin Rather.

I just graduated from Journalism at a school in Hamilton, Ontario and I am currently at my co-op at The Score Television Network in Toronto. Would love to be on air talking about sports. Not too crazy about writing in the paper, but we'll see what happens.

276733[/snapback]

I agree, sports talk would be the bomb! Good luck with whatever you do.

Many posters here are highly skilled at writing. I don't include myself in that group, but many of TSWallers write better than some guys that write for major newspapers. I for one, consider getting paid for writing about sports a dream job. Even if it wasn't about the Bills. Some of you younger guys should really consider getting into journalism as a profession.

276723[/snapback]

That's what I went to school for. Obviously, that's not what I'm doing.

1. The hours suck.

2. The pay sucks.

3. I'm not good enough.

That's what I went to school for. Obviously, that's not what I'm doing.

1. The hours suck.

2. The pay sucks.

3. I'm not good enough.

276746[/snapback]

1. working any time of the day sucks!

2. Not everything in life is about money.

3. Keep trying, you'll get better.

it's an industry in transition. i don't have any interest in it because the interesting aspect of it is dead, in my opinion.

journalism used to be about investigation...digging for the truth.

these days, the history channel, learning channel, and discovery channel do more investigative journalism than any news outfit.

all they do is gather the What Happened of daily, weekly, and monthly events. They hire talking heads to yammer about these events ad nauseum. They create shows where one head of this political persuasion incites another head of the opposite persuasion, and vice versa.

they create bogus stories like the "summer of the sharks" a couple years ago. It's almost creepy, as if there's some order from on high for news outlets to fill people's mind with dreck to distract them or keep them sucking on the teat of complacency. There were no more shark attacks that summer than any other summer on record. The news media simply decided they'd create a thing out of a couple instances that are usually relegated, correctly, to local news stories. Well, it sold advertising so the other news outfits had to follow suit.

It's a joke.

Journalism is dead. And there's no better icon for its death than Dan Fuggin Rather.

276737[/snapback]

That is exactly the reasons why I would never enter journalism as a profession. My uncle was in radio back when things were still respectable. Now, it has gone completely over the edge.

I will stick with writing books. I have had football articles published in the past, but it was all from a historical perspective and I stuck with trade publications, not mainstream media.

I did it for a little while for a couple of internet websites but (imagine this) couldn't get along with the editors.  I decided at that point it was either start my own publication (pretty time consuming/costly) or post whore at TSW.  Guess which I chose? ;)

276739[/snapback]

;)

1. working any time of the day sucks!

2. Not everything in life is about money.

3. Keep trying, you'll get better.

276749[/snapback]

1. I like working.

2. I like to eat and pay my mortgate. These things require money.

3. I'm 36 and am in a satisfying career.

Thanks, tho.

Oh yeah, and everything nodnarb said is true. Journalism is completely dead.

I thought about it way back when, because I had written for my college newspaper. A family friend worked at the Buffalo Evening News (or was it the Courier-Express?) and he showed me around a bit.

But then I got drafted, and got pointed in a different direction. I still do some technical writing on the job, and a TON of writing in my masters degree program...

Like nodnarb said, journalism seems to be dead, or at least in decline. If you are thinking of TV sports casting as "journalism", well, it's more like show business IMO.

You can go get a BS in Communications if you want to pursue an area like that.

and a TON of writing in my masters degree program...

276772[/snapback]

I hear you on that. I am going through the same thing with my MS program. Between the writing and the reading, there is not much time for anything else.

It's not dead, it just sucks right now and is transforming, needing to re-invent itself. The worst thing people can do though is give up on it, and let it die. It's one of the most important elements of American culture.

276768[/snapback]

well said.