Love Reading the WNY Papers Online

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While sad, I don't believe it's unusual for a restaurant to go under, particularly in the first year. There are some folks on this board in the hospitality industry who could share their knowledge.

Not that I disagree WNY is in dire straits, but one pub failure is just a blip.

i wish they had closed before i decided to eat there

my fiance took me there for dinner for my birthday and we both felt bad for wasting money

i had the worst rib eye steak EVER

and my fiance's entree wasn't even accurate to the description listed in the menu...i forget what she ordered (some pork dish), but whatever she got didn't match the description on the menu...one distinct thing missing was rice when the menu clearly said that it was served with some sort of special rice...when we asked the waiter, he told us that they've never had rice in the restaurant EVER

beer was decent (nothing too special) and i've got a souvenier glass from the place

And your post concerning Rochester would have what to do with what? While you're at it why don't you mention Jillians in High Falls closing for all that has to do with anything. Restaurants and clubs change and turnover all the time. When you come back to Brighton you'll probably discover that they used all the suds from the beer and turned the place into a car wash.

Meanwhile back in Erie county;

This supposed "tax payer revolt", a term continuously propagated by the local radio outlet WBEN, WGRZ Two on your side  television, as well as the daily Buffalo News sounds great from a distance (and it seems many of you that post here live a diistance from Erie County) but there will be reprecussions.

I came across this Niagara Falls paper on this Two Bills Drive site the other day as a matter of fact but can't seem to find a copy in Buffalo. Fortunately they are on-line.

http://www.niagarafallsreporter.com/croisdale183.html

277447[/snapback]

Is that guy for real?

While sad, I don't believe it's unusual for a restaurant to go under, particularly in the first year.  There are some folks on this board in the hospitality industry who could share their knowledge.

Not that I disagree WNY is in dire straits, but one pub failure is just a blip.

278332[/snapback]

Nice avatar.

Lest we ever forget that Republican=Nazi.

Nice avatar.

Lest we ever forget that Republican=Nazi.

278419[/snapback]

Republican=Nazi

Republican=KKK

Either one works when you are incapable of making a coherent argument.

One of the major problems with Buffalo is the overall attitude of much of the remaining populace. I go home in the fall each year for a few weeks to provide wild game for my family (deer). I still associate with my core friends from high school (20 years ago), and while I never throw it in their face, I've got to say their attitude sucks. The is an entitlement mentality that exists with many of my friends and local family that they must change if they ever want to improve their county.

An example of merely one way Buffalo could help itself is my own family. My wife and her family are from here in Southern California. My father-in-law owns a business that makes industrial silencers for large scale diesel engines. He operated his business in a 10k sq.ft. facility in LA until 1990. While in LA he faced paying into an oppressive workers compensation system that was completely broken. A quick example of one issue that I recall happening to him was the worker who asked for a raise. When my father-in -law declined his request he went out on a stress disability for 6 months- receiving generous benefits from the State (paid by you know who). The worker was a welder for crying out loud! Anyway, that is but one quick anecdote as to why he was open to moving.

At some point he was approached by the Chamber of Commerce of Lincoln, Nebraska. They detailed a proposal to him to move his business there where he would receive initial tax breaks from the State as an incentive to move. This is in addition to a lower cost labor force. Additionally, he was able to affod a facility that was twice the size of his then current shop while saving 1/3 off the rent. Well, guess what he did?

Now, here's where the folks in Buffalo generally go high and to the right...TAX BREAKS?! For a business?! Soak the rich!! No corporate welfare!

Anyway, to bring youu to present time, he has expanded his business and currently has 110k sq.ft. of floor space over four bulidings. While in LA he employed 26 workers, he now has 151. So what does this have to do with Buffalo?

151 taxpaying, productive citizens are good for Lincoln, NE's economy and would be good for Buffalo's too. The Politicians and many of the people in Buffalo have no vision.

Until the attitudes change there, the city will continue to die. Folks need to get out of the 60's and 70's in their thinking. I sincerely hope that this situation will cause most of the remaining population to change their attitude.

At some point he was approached by the Chamber of Commerce of Lincoln, Nebraska. They detailed a proposal to him to move his business there where he would receive initial tax breaks from the State as an incentive to move. This is in addition to a lower cost labor force. Additionally, he was able to affod a facility that was twice the size of his then current shop while saving 1/3 off the rent. Well, guess what he did?

Now, here's where the folks in Buffalo generally go high and to the right...TAX BREAKS?! For a business?! Soak the rich!! No corporate welfare!

Anyway, to bring youu to present time, he has expanded his business and currently has 110k sq.ft. of floor space over four bulidings. While in LA he employed 26 workers, he now has 151. So what does this have to do with Buffalo?

151 taxpaying, productive citizens are good for Lincoln, NE's economy and would be good for Buffalo's too. The Politicians and many of the people in Buffalo have no vision.

Until the attitudes change there, the city will continue to die. Folks need to get out of the 60's and 70's in their thinking. I sincerely hope that this situation will cause most of the remaining population to change their attitude.

278534[/snapback]

WHAT? Effective politicians increase the tax base instead of raising rates? Ludicrous.

WHAT?  Effective politicians increase the tax base instead of raising rates?  Ludicrous.

278553[/snapback]

It will never work. The only way you can increase revenue is to increase taxes.

Is that guy for real?

278412[/snapback]

Once again the article is correct in saying there will be reprecussions for those of us who still live here whether we hopped on the anti-tax bandwagon and ran with it (WBEN radio commentators Sandy Beach-who doesn't even live in the County-and his morning show buddy Tom Buerele have made it a cause celebre) or those who wanted cooler heads to prevail. These reprecussions are undenieble and we are starting to see the effects sooner rather than later.

Which leads me to belief this anti-tax mantra will burst when reality starts to stare us in the face.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050317/1053119.asp